Author Topic: (COMPLETED)Some Backround info on Charles Barker WHITE MESSENGER  (Read 9001 times)

Offline Neil Todd

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • "Oportet vivere"
    • View Profile
(COMPLETED)Some Backround info on Charles Barker WHITE MESSENGER
« on: Tuesday 13 March 12 17:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I am hoping someone can help me find some information on Charles and possible immigration details and dates or other information (Siblings) for his family. I do not know if he remarried after Louisa left him or when and where he died.

Charles was born c1853 in Melbourne to parents Charles Isaac Messenger and Eliza Hall.
He married Louisa Solomon an immigrant from the USA. in 1872. At his marriage he was employed as a Carter and was 19years old. They lived in Richmond Melbourne.

Any help would be appreciated.

Neil
Grewl,Nickerseens,flombastion,Everheads

Offline Neil Todd

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • "Oportet vivere"
    • View Profile
Re: Some Backround info on Charles Barker WHITE MESSENGER
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 13 March 12 21:50 GMT (UK) »
I have found a record of a Charles Messenger arriving in 1852 as a unassisted passenger aged 20, but for some reason I am unable to get a copy of the record. can anyone help with this?

Neil

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 13 March 12 22:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi Neil - shipping lists for unassisted passengers are notoriously uninformative, usually only showing the name, occasionally with an occupation, or some other information.

Is this the chap you mean?
Charles MESSENGER, 20, arr Oct 1852 per SERAMPORE, from British port, fiche 012 p005

I'll be at the NLA but not till sometime next week and can have a look at the fiche for you; someone else may be able to do it earlier.

Judith  :)
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Neil Todd

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • "Oportet vivere"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 13 March 12 23:08 GMT (UK) »
That would be great if you get the chance please Judith. A Marriage record must be there if he married in Melbourne, this seems right on the cusp of when records started in Victoria. None on NSW Bdm

I am hoping that Charles and his wife Eliza nee Hall arrived with any siblings for young Charles b1853.

Neil

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 13 March 12 23:09 GMT (UK) »
Still not actually connecting the man on the shipping record however here's the marriage for Charles and Eliza:

1854 #1133 (Victoria)
Charles MESSENGER
Eliza HALL

Judith
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 13 March 12 23:24 GMT (UK) »
Wondering if this is the father - charged with "having left his horse while passing through the streets"  :o.  Fined 5shillings.  :D

http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/4816537

Judith

Offline Neil Todd

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • "Oportet vivere"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 13 March 12 23:26 GMT (UK) »
sorry should have explained a little further.(in English) ;D

The man I was looking for should be the same one in the shipping record as the one marrying Eliza Hall. I wasn't sure if he was single or came out with a wife. ::)

The one you posted as marrying Eliza Hall is the Father of Charles Barker White Messenger That married Louisa Solomon in 1872. I also have no idea how he picked up all those names. ???

Thanks Neil

Offline Neil Todd

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • "Oportet vivere"
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 13 March 12 23:31 GMT (UK) »
Quite Possibly the right one. according to his sons marriage record Charles messenger was a Carter. ;D May have put the cart before the Horse. :o

Neil

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 14 March 12 05:00 GMT (UK) »
OK  - you may already have this, about the father.  And obviously would need to be checked.

Working backwards:

Death
 Victoria, 1869 #10073
Charles MESSENGER
Death Place:   Victoria
Father's Name:   John
Mother's Name:   Susamah Dowler

Baptism:
Coleshill, Warwickshire
Charles MESSENGER
Baptism Date:   21 Sep 1832
Father's Name:   John Messenger
Mother's Name:   Susannah Messenger

Census 1851 at Coleshill Warwickshire (no street given - Coleshill is a smallish village)
All born Coleshill, except John
Sarah Barker   26, widow, head of house, miller and baker
Lucy H Barker   2, daughter
John Messenger   55, widower, father, miller, b Over Whitacre, Warwickshire
Thomas Messenger   29, brother, baker
Charles Messenger   19, brother, baker
Ann Messenger 17, scholar

I do not see Charles MESSENGER in later census entries although his father John and brother Thomas are still in Coleshill in 1861.

PROV has a digitised will for
Charles MESSENGER,   Drayman, residing Richmond died 9 Oct 1869.
He leaves all to his wife, Eliza.

So I reckon it's a fair bet that this Charles is the young man in Coleshill in 1851 - however his marriage or death cert should confirm it.  BTW, if you are looking up Coleshill make sure you have the one in Warwickshire (almost swallowed up by Birmingham now), as there is one in Oxfordshire as well.

Judith