Author Topic: Link: Suffolk Record Office  (Read 4036 times)

Offline RootsChat

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • RootsChat Administration
    • View Profile
Link: Suffolk Record Office
« on: Saturday 17 May 03 20:58 BST (UK) »
 Suffolk Record Office Website
www.suffolkcc.gov.uk/sro/

Broken Links: Please report to us of any links that no longer work, or ones that are no longer appropriate by clicking the "Report to moderator" link on the message. Thanks! Get Poster

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The grass covers and the rain effaces. Victor Hugo
    • View Profile
Re: Links: Suffolk Record Office
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 05 October 05 18:54 BST (UK) »
Just like to say that I've spent about 6 hours today at the Suffolk Record Office in Raingate, Bury St Edmunds, chasing after my LINGLEY and VINCE family in the Babergh area of Suffolk.
The staff there were absolutely brilliant, and the whole place is splendidly organised.  Highlight of the day was spotting a reference to a direct ancestor in the Bastardy Maintenance Orders in the parish chest for Kersey.  Within a minute or two of me filling in a docket with the details I had in my hand the original 1803 document...(To look at and photocopy, not to keep!)
I was also thrilled to be able to make a copy of a Settlement Certificate for 1792 for my 4-times gt-grandparents Lingley.  Obviously things were hard for some families in those days.
Plus having the Parish Records mainly on fiche made it much easier to find the entries one wanted than ploughing though enormous microfilms.
Very well done all you good people at the Bury St. Edmunds Record Office!
Keith

Offline Joanne

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 14 January 06 14:52 GMT (UK) »
It's good to hear the Staff are nice at the Bury Office, I've been to the Ipswich one quite afew times and because I'm only 20 the staff don't seem to treat you as they would a more mature person. I recently went with an elderly relation which I discovered in March. I went to the desk to ask a question and they answered the question to the gentleman without looking at me even though I was the one who wanted to know!! Admittedly though there is one lady there who is lovely very helpful.
Cousins (all variations) from Crowfield/Stonham Aspal/Elmsett/Pettaugh. Chapman from Worlingworth/Hornham/Dennington. Westrup from Bungay/Hales/Haddiscoe Sawyer from Woodbridge/Ipswich/Martlesham/Aldeburgh. Bruty from Clare

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The grass covers and the rain effaces. Victor Hugo
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 14 January 06 17:04 GMT (UK) »
Joanne,
What a pity, and I'll think you'll find that there are really quite a lot of people your age on this excellent Rootschat site, where you need never feel ignored or unappreciated...!
Very best wishes,
Keith