Author Topic: Grennan / Coghlan /Daly / Molloy in Offaly  (Read 22948 times)

Offline Cheryl F

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Grennan / Coghlan /Daly / Molloy in Offaly
« Reply #27 on: Monday 20 January 20 20:30 GMT (UK) »
First let me say Moxie was definitely a New England thing.
I am interested in Grennans and Goreys - possibly from Tullamore[?]. I believe they left Ireland and arrived in Canada in 1869. They are as follows:

RICHARD (Patrick) GOREY born about 1833 in Ireland and died Dec 1897 in Johnville, NB, Canada
NOTE: Johnville was a town started by a Catholic priest for Irish immigrants to St John, NB Canada
Richard was married to ELLEN GRENNAN born Nov 8, 1833 in Ireland and died Aug 27, 1918 - for some reason she is listed as Margaret on son Patrick's death certificate. She is the d/o Patrick Grannon and Elizabeth Duffey.
NOTE: son Patrick lists parents as from Athlone, Ireland (County Westmerth?)
Children of Richard and Ellen:
**Michael GOREY was born about 1854 in Ireland and died about 1928. Did not move to Johnville, but do not know if he stayed in Ireland or went elsewhere
**Elizabeth GOREY was born about 1855 in Ireland and died Aug 20, 1933. She is my gr-gr-grandmother. She married Oct 13, 1883 to John MALLOY born [somewhere in Ireland] April 8, 1859 and died Dec 8, 1915.
**James GOREY was born May 1857 in Ireland and died 1938. 
**Patrick GOREY was born Aug 17, 1859 in Ireland and died Feb 10, 1942 Johnville, NB
**Richard J GOREY Jr. was born Aug 16, 1867 and died 1939
**Ann GOREY was born October 1874
**Martha GOREY was born Nov 25, 1880 and died Aug 8, 1954
No idea if my Grennans are related to any of your Grennans but Tullamore is not far from Athlone so I thought it was worth posting. Any info on any of these people would be greatly appreciated.

Offline minmich

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday 21 January 20 00:18 GMT (UK) »
I have looked through the names you have and I don't have any of them No GOREY in my papers.  You are right in that they are probably related with the name of GRENNAN and coming from Tullamore, Rahan area. It is really difficult when they all named their kids the same family names over and over. I have a John MOLLOY m. Mary Ellen GRENNAN in 1894 but it cant be the same person. Probably all the same with the MOLLOY name being close but not exact. My grandfather James Grennan came in to CT. My grandmother Alice Coghlan into NY. I know they were married in 1909 but I've never found out where. I have pretty much come to a dead end on my Irish family. I wish you better luck.

Offline ansteynomad

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Sunday 13 August 23 16:16 BST (UK) »
Headstones in Clonoghill graveyard Birr;
Jack
--
Mary (May) Grennan; Cappanetle; 11/6/1978 (70)
hus-Michael; 7/11/1983 (75)
--
Seamus Grennan; Newbridge st Birr; 5/3/1993 (77)
wife-Margaret; 31/5/1998
---
Margaret Grennan; Crinkle; 1/6/1949 (76)
hus-Peter; 3/12/1958 (87)
dtr-Teresa; 21/12/1944 (31)
son-Peter; 31/3/1986 (78)
======================
Jack

I wonder if anyone can help?  I am looking at the household of Peter and Margaret Grennan on the Irish census for 1911.  They have a relative with them called Evelyn Bright and I am trying to establish what relation she is to either Peter or Margaret.  It would be so simple if Margaret's maiden name was Waters, but I can't find a marriage entry.  Any help gratefully received.

Many thanks
Nottinghamshire: Billyard; Fletcher
Lincolnshire: Beck; Smith
Leicestershire: Goadby; Iliffe;
Warwickshire: Bradbury; Friswell; Gilliver; Beesley

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Sunday 13 August 23 16:53 BST (UK) »
It would be so simple if Margaret's maiden name was Waters, but I can't find a marriage entry. 

But Margaret's maiden name was Waters.

Here's the Marriage to Peter Grennan - 5 November 1906 at Birr RC Church.
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1906/10147/5692179.pdf

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline LH

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Sunday 13 August 23 19:13 BST (UK) »
Hi

Could Evelyna Bright, born Crinkle in 1890 to Arthur and Bridget Bright (nee Waters) be the lady you are looking for.  See:-
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1890/02429/1904616.pdf

Regards

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Sunday 13 August 23 19:32 BST (UK) »
Could Evelyna Bright, born Crinkle in 1890 to Arthur and Bridget Bright (nee Waters) be the lady you are looking for.  See:-
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1890/02429/1904616.pdf

So she was 20? rather than 17.   ???

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline LH

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Sunday 13 August 23 20:03 BST (UK) »
Hi

Ansteynomad must decide on her age.... and whether it could be the person she's looking for.

Regards

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Sunday 13 August 23 22:49 BST (UK) »
Is this Evelyn in 1901 aged 11 as Evaline
http://census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/King_s_Co_/Birr__Rural_/Military_Road_/1461311/

I’d be more inclined to think she is Margaret 65 granddaughter, I’ve often seen grandchildren as niece or nephew.

Offline ansteynomad

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Monday 14 August 23 10:58 BST (UK) »
Thank you.

I couldn't find the marriage entry.  I've not really done any Irish research before.

Now I know I'm in the right place, I'll have a proper look.

Thanks again
Nottinghamshire: Billyard; Fletcher
Lincolnshire: Beck; Smith
Leicestershire: Goadby; Iliffe;
Warwickshire: Bradbury; Friswell; Gilliver; Beesley