Author Topic: cushen late of ireland  (Read 3600 times)

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
Re: cushen late of ireland
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 14 March 12 18:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi Advent,

2 Burials at Sisters of Charity of the Incarnate Word Cemetery. Alamo Heights
Bexar County Texas. Evelyn might be yours, the other probably not  ???

Sister Evelyn

http://www.rootschat.com/links/0kv6/

Sister Laetitia Cushen

http://www.rootschat.com/links/0kv7/

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Online shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 14 March 12 18:59 GMT (UK) »
I see a 1932 passenger list for the Annie Cushen of San Antonio, and it says she was born in Co. Dublin and her mother was Henrietta Cushen. There is a nun named Anne Cushen in San Antonio for the 1910 Census, so it definitely appears that she's a different person from the one you're looking for. 

Unless you have other information linking your Cushens to San Antonio, I think you may need to start from scratch.  If you have any exact birth dates for these sisters, it may be helpful.

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 14 March 12 19:05 GMT (UK) »
Not sure this Evelyn is the one you are looking for looking at the manifest details. Her father is Matthew  ??? On the 1930 Census for Alamo Heights, Bexar, Texas it gives an immigration date of 1920 for Evelyn.

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/C3KC-CMM

There was a Evelyn Cushen born 1903 Dublin. Ireland and aged 17 years who travelled Liverpool to New York, arriving 27 August 1920 on the Baltic.
Last permanent residence looks like Stradbally. Father was Matthew Cushen, Stradbally, Queens Co. Ireland. Evelyn was going to the Incarmate Wood Convent. San Antonio as were many of the others listed with her.

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 14 March 12 19:10 GMT (UK) »
There is a Margaret Cushen in Justice Precinct 1, Bexar, Texas born about 1901 and who immigrated in 1919. Margaret is also at the Incarmate Wood Convent. San Antonio.  Your Margaret was born 1894 so this doesn't seem to match.  :(

Sandra

Added :- Margaret Cushen. Born about 1900 Maryboro, Ireland and aged 19 years. Tavelled Liverppol to Philadelphia, arriving 9 November 1919 on the Haverford
Last Residence: Ireland.
Margaret's father was James Cushen. Clondarrig. Maryboro. (Unfortunately, this parent doesn't match yours  :()

Offline advent

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 15 March 12 11:23 GMT (UK) »
I see a 1932 passenger list for the Annie Cushen of San Antonio, and it says she was born in Co. Dublin and her mother was Henrietta Cushen. There is a nun named Anne Cushen in San Antonio for the 1910 Census, so it definitely appears that she's a different person from the one you're looking for. 

Unless you have other information linking your Cushens to San Antonio, I think you may need to start from scratch.  If you have any exact birth dates for these sisters, it may be helpful.

Offline advent

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 15 March 12 11:59 GMT (UK) »
thank you so much for your research on my behalf. I mistakenly accepted that the nuns at the convent in san antonio were my fathers aunts but thanks to you i now know that they are not. My fathers aunts were Ellen Cushen born Nov1878,
Margaret Cushen born Sept 1883, Annie Mary Cushen born 1884 (but cant find her in 1901 census) in house no 18 Market St. Abbeyleix, Alice Cushen (my grandmother) born April 1886, Nora Cushen born Feb 1896 and Charlotte born 1899 approx (ie age 02) 1901 census their parents were Charles Cushen and Margaret(formly Quinn) Margaret, Alice,(my Granny) Nora, and Charlotte all left Queenstown on the Franconia with arrival port Boston and arrival date 10th April 1912 to be met by their sister Annie My granny(Alice) returned to Ireland where she got married to a John Fitzpatrick in Nov 1918 in a church in Luggacurrin near Ballylinan but no trace can i find of the other named aunts of my father. again many thanks i have hit a brick wall now

Offline advent

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 17 March 12 21:14 GMT (UK) »
HI Advent,

Have you got an exact birth date for Nora that may help your search ?

Looks like 4 sisters all travelling together on a Boston 1912 passenger list.

Nora Cushen. Born about 1896 Alleyeis. Ireland and aged 16 years.
Arriving Massachusetts 10 April 1912 on the Franconia
Going to sister Annie Cushen, 49 Pleasant Street. Brookline. Massachusetts.
Also travelling Alice aged 22 years, Margaret 18 years, and Charlotte 11 years.
Manifest markings could indicate that Margaret was naturalized 22 August 1940 - 1 - 297994  (Area 1 could cover Boston. MA)

Sandra

thank you so much for your notice of death of annie mary cushen. this is of great interest to me. i have been given this info with this date of death by a convent in san antonio just recently. this deceased(annie mary) was a nun there along with her two sisters namely margaret(aka) Sister cushen died texas 7th nov 1982 also another sister Sister evelyn cushen died texas 27th nov 1988 it was my belief that thay were my fathers aunts who left abbeyleix between 1909 and april 1912 but as their father was named charles and their mother margaret(formly quinn) this would indicate to me that i am on the wrong track judging from details of the death cert that you have sent me and which i appreciate so much i would need to get death details of margaret and evelyn to see how they compare with annie mary again many thanks

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 10 April 12 18:16 BST (UK) »
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)