Author Topic: HELP! 1 couple, 2 marriage records  (Read 2572 times)

Offline 1lucybella2

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
HELP! 1 couple, 2 marriage records
« on: Thursday 15 March 12 18:27 GMT (UK) »
Any insight gratefully received please!

I have a few instances with certain families in my tree where a couple are recorded as being married in one parish and then also in another parish up to 40 miles away on the same day. I have one example where there are three records in three fairly distant places all for the same couple on the same day! After some research I came up with the possibility that this particular person was a Quaker but am still none the wiser about why there are multiple records. Does anyone please have any possible explanation?

I found these on Familysearch but can't seem to find any detailed info about the denomination etc relating to each record. For example, I found a marriage between Harriet Garland and John Watson in Adlingfleet (Yorks) on 13th Jul 1863. There is also a record with the same couple on the same day (but with more detail of parents) in Ardsley (Yorks) which is 40 miles away near Barnsley! They are just in the collection of England Marriages 1539-1973 and both come up in the same batch number on Familysearch.

thanks, Lucy

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
Re: HELP! 1 couple, 2 marriage records
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 15 March 12 18:42 GMT (UK) »
Are you certain that it was actually the marriage date,or could it have been that banns being read in both of their home parishes on the same date?
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 15 March 12 19:09 GMT (UK) »
Any insight gratefully received please!

I found these on Familysearch but can't seem to find any detailed info about the denomination etc relating to each record. For example, I found a marriage between Harriet Garland and John Watson in Adlingfleet (Yorks) on 13th Jul 1863. There is also a record with the same couple on the same day (but with more detail of parents) in Ardsley (Yorks) which is 40 miles away near Barnsley!
thanks, Lucy

The marriage was registered in the Goole Registration District so must have taken place in the Church of England Parish Church of All Saints Adlingfleet http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/YKS/PhotoFrames/WRY/AdlingfleetAllSaints.html

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline PaulineJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 15 March 12 19:47 GMT (UK) »
Familysearch can be misleading at times. The records are not always correctly attributed . Eg one set may be the parish copy, and another from the BTs.
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/
======================================
We are not a search engine. We are human beings.

Offline 1lucybella2

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 15 March 12 19:54 GMT (UK) »
Carol8353,
I can't be certain as I haven't seen the original records but the Ardsley record on Ancestry says 'Marriage Date' rather than Banns. John and Harriet were both definitely born and lived their whole lives in Adlingfleet. I don't know of a family link to Ardsley except that Harriet's mother was born in the area.

If I search on Familysearch by the batch number, there are loads of people with duplicated Adlingfleet/Ardsley records. Very confused! Could be Banns announced at both places though, thanks.

Stan,
Thanks a lot, this makes sense as they both lived in Adlingfleet. I'm still confused why so many people had this Adlingfleet/Ardsley connection as the places are so far apart. If you do a nameless search using batch number M07379-3 on FamSearch you'll see what I mean : )

Thanks Pauline, another possibility is an error!