Author Topic: Free Church of England 41 Burton St Darlinghurst  (Read 7923 times)

Offline Akira01000

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Free Church of England 41 Burton St Darlinghurst
« Reply #9 on: Monday 19 March 12 00:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi All,

Thanks for you replies, You've been busy,

Does this mean that the marriages conducted could be potentially null and void?

As if in today's standard someone was marrying people in their house this would be potentially illegal may be this could have been the corrupt activity that created the current day laws in this area.

I have checked the http://catalogue.sag.org.au/fullRecord.jsp?recnoListAttr=recnoListSimilar&recno=42627 SAG Catalogue earlier whilst an active member.

I couldn't find my two (Edward Lynch & Annie Mcinnes) in the list as its outside the provided years however the next step is off to the Mitchell library in Sydney to check that, as i think they may have the catalogue with the missing references.

This is all very interesting as the entire research around (Edward Lynch & Annie Mcinnes) has been extremely hard and this could explain their son changing their name, If there was uncertainty about the marriage as He grew up in Darlinghurst, it has taken years of work to get this far. As his Marriage certificate he lied about whom his parent's were ....

Regards
Akira

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 19 March 12 01:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi there,

I doubt the marriages would be voided without the bride/groom (or if under age, their respective guardian/parent etc) seeking civil court action.   There were other celebrants (of various denominations) who were also considered to be conducting "marriage shops"  in that era.    If both parties to the marriage continued to consider themselves married once turning 21 etc, then I am not aware of any impediment to the marriage.    I would expect the Registrar General to notate on the NSW BDM records that a particular marriage had been voided by the NSW Supreme Court.  Perhaps if you were to obtain a copy of the NSW BDM Reg-Gen's records of the marriage that brought Bailey's activities to the notice of the court, there may be a notation regarding that action.  Then you would have something to look for on your forebear's marriage that Bailey conducted.    I doubt that any marriages conducted BEFORE Bailey's licence was revoked by the NSW Registrar General could have been voided simply by the Reg Gen determining to void them, I think that would be outside of his authority.    It is a very interesting question and I am looking forward to finding out more information about that theme.  ;D

Re celebrating marriages in private residences in this century .....  I have attended marriage ceremonies for various family members in NSW where the ceremony was conducted wholly within the marrying couple's private residence, and the celebrant was a long standing family member, who is licenced to conduct marriages.   I have not attended marriage ceremonies where they were held in premises operated by the celebrant....  Perhaps that is not permitted. 

What an interesting question  :) perhaps you could contact a licenced marriage celebrant and ask for any historic background material. 

PS,  I think Bailey's defence in the 1860's etc would have been "They stated that they had reached majority"  .... (ie they were each at least 21 years of age)

Cheers,  JM

Hi All,

Thanks for you replies, You've been busy,

Does this mean that the marriages conducted could be potentially null and void?

As if in today's standard someone was marrying people in their house this would be potentially illegal may be this could have been the corrupt activity that created the current day laws in this area.

I have checked the http://catalogue.sag.org.au/fullRecord.jsp?recnoListAttr=recnoListSimilar&recno=42627 SAG Catalogue earlier whilst an active member.

I couldn't find my two (Edward Lynch & Annie Mcinnes) in the list as its outside the provided years however the next step is off to the Mitchell library in Sydney to check that, as i think they may have the catalogue with the missing references.

This is all very interesting as the entire research around (Edward Lynch & Annie Mcinnes) has been extremely hard and this could explain their son changing their name, If there was uncertainty about the marriage as He grew up in Darlinghurst, it has taken years of work to get this far. As his Marriage certificate he lied about whom his parent's were ....

Regards
Akira

The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline kristyedwards

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 26 July 22 04:27 BST (UK) »
Does anyone know where I can find a marriage record Free Church of England, 41 Burton St, South Head Road Sydney Feb 1870
Thanks

Offline scaustin

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 05 February 24 11:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kristy
Does anyone know where I can find a marriage record Free Church of England, 41 Burton St, South Head Road Sydney

Here:

https://catalogue.sag.org.au/#record/42627

Church and parish registers of The Free Church of England in New South Wales [microform].
Call Number:
Author:
Society of Australian Genealogists; National Library of Australia; Mitchell Library (Sydney, N.S.W.)
Publisher:
Sydney, N.S.W. : : Society of Australian Genealogists ,
Year:
Subject:
Bailey, William; The Free Church of England; Sydney (N.S.W.); New South Wales - vital records, BMD; New South Wales - parish registers, Anglican
Pagination:
Microfilm : 35 mm.
Type:
Microfilm
Notes:
Filmed by W & F Pascoe, Pty Ltd, 1983. Consult catalogue sheets in the Library for more detailed information about this Microfilm. Filmed as part of the Joint Copying Project (JCP) between the Society of Australian Genealogists, the Mitchell Library and the National Library of Australia.
Public Note:
Purchased 1982
Summary:
Marriages 17 Nov 1870-27 April 1871/marriage declarations 5 Dec 1870-16 Jan 1871 for marriage declarations.
Note: Location was Rev William Bailey's residence: 41 Burton St, South Head Road, Sydney.
Additional reference "William Bailey and the Free Church of England in N.S.W." by E D Daw, JRAHS vol.58, pt 4, Dec 1972

Regards,

Sam.