Author Topic: do crests and/or arms link families in any way?  (Read 3427 times)

Offline bean

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: do crests and/or arms link families in any way?
« Reply #9 on: Monday 19 March 12 12:08 GMT (UK) »
Blimey MaecW that's interesting! So my ancestor, in using the arms as described , is implying descent from Llowdden Hen in some way as are Davies of Tickenham?

Offline MaecW

• RootsChat Senior
  • Yma o hyd
    • View Profile
Re: do crests and/or arms link families in any way?
« Reply #10 on: Monday 19 March 12 21:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi Bean,
"Implied" may be the right term  :)    15th/16th century Welsh gentlemen acquiring Arms sometimes used or incorporated Arms of an actual or supposed ancestor. Whether there is documentary evidence to support such a claim is another matter: in some cases there are genuine recorded genealogies and in others there are later constructs which owe more to the imagination than any hard evidence.

I note that a google search for "Llowden Hen" throws up a whole series of "Family Trees" claiming him as an ancestor but most of these seem to be copies of each other and do not quote sources. There is also reference to a "Tribe" of Llowden but this may be an 18th century construct. I am not an expert on the subject but this use of the term "tribe" seems to imply something similar to a Scottish Clan but may just mean "the extended family of" rather than a formal community.

If you are descended from Lewis Davies of Carmarthen the trick now would be to track his ancestors to see if you can find the Llowden Hen connection.

Have fun  :)

Maec
Baron (of Blackburn), Chadwick (Oswaldtwistle), Watkins (Swansea), Jones (x3 Swansea), Colton (Shropshire), Knight (Shropshire/Montgomery) , Bullen (Norfolk), White (Dorset)