Author Topic: WINDER family - Victoria  (Read 11835 times)

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: WINDER family - Victoria
« Reply #27 on: Saturday 17 March 12 08:23 GMT (UK) »
Wow - this is a convoluted family using the same names over generations so it's difficult to sort them out!  Sorry this post is not in any order as I keep finding other bits and am trying to put them together coherently and it's not working!  ::)

The first WINDER references I can see in Victoria are these arrivals, on the John Barry into Port Phillip
arriving 19 Apr 1839, departure Liverpool
John Winder   abt 1796   
Susan Winder   abt 1821   
David Winder   abt 1823   
Sarah Winder   abt 1826   
John Winder   abt 1828   

Can anyone see this arrival on PROV?.  it would be useful to look at the fiche but I can't see a reference.

Re David WINDER:
two death registration under that name but obviously not the same man:
Victoria 1862, # 8575
David WINDER, 32 (b abt 1830)
Father's Name:   William
Mother's Name:   Ellen

1862 #10007
David WINDER, 38 (b abt 1824) Adding - in the light of the MI this one looks as though it's the son.
Father's Name:   U

TROVE has a funeral notice for one of them
http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/6479927

There are many mentions on TROVE of disputes re the estates of John WINDER and his son David who apparently drowned in 1862.  It seems from the names mentioned that he is the chap who arrived in 1839; the property in question seems to be that of the John WINDER of Pentridge, d 1865 (see below)

William Hendon WINDER.  This name is used in at least two generations which makes it a bit difficult to sort them out.

Electoral Roll -
1856 William Hendon WINDER, resident Doutta Galla, has freehold at Doutta Galla

PROV will
http://210.8.122.120/indexes/index_search.asp?searchid=54
William H WINDER, died 2 Aug 1884, labourer, resident Footscray, probate granted to: Mary J Winder.  Leave all to his wife, Mary Jane WINDER

PROV estate papers for John WINDER of Pentridge, near Melbourne, d 4 July 1865, gentleman.  Bequests to his wife Elizabeth, children John, William, Sarah and Harriet, son-in-law Benjamin Cadder.  There is a further mention of a bequest to a Jamy (?) GUNN for three years.
Four beneficiaries:
John WINDER
Sarah GILHAM
Harriet SLACK and J B SLACK
William Henden WINDER

Funeral Notice for Elizabeth WINDER, relict of John WINDER 1874
http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/5881915

Funeral Notice for John WINDER
http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/5776515
Death Notice    http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/63169665

Judith
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Burrow Digger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Saturday 17 March 12 14:24 GMT (UK) »
I sent an email to the owner of the tree on ancestry - it is open to anyone and yes I was able to look at it.

His connection is through Jessie Moss (Barnes) who married William David Henden Winder - brother of my adopted grandfather John Francis Winder. I will be in touch with him again.

I would like to thank you all very much for the information you have found. It has been fantastic. :) 

If any one of you very kind souls could  possibly find the ship on which my adopted grandfather - John Francis Winder - came to NZ in or around 1908 - I would be ever so grateful.

Frank would have been a boy of 7 years old at that time. I assume it was a ship. I am sure planes were no yet making the trans-tasman jump so easily back then. This ship might have embarked from Melbourne, or Sydney or Fremantle - or just for the heck of it - it might even have been Adelaide or Darwin :P

Thank you.

BD

BURROW, BICKHAM, EVANS, SULLEY, STONE - Devon
STEPHENS, MALLET, ADAMS - Cornwall
HANCOCK , BUSSON - Somerset
MCCALLUM, MCDIARMID, MCNEILL - Argyle, Scotland
WALLS, SUTHERLAND, SIMPSON - Orkney, Scotland
FAIRBAIRN - Fife, Scotland
THOMPSON - Aberdeen, Scotland

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Saturday 17 March 12 23:01 GMT (UK) »
PROV hasoutgoing passenger lists from Victoria - I've only listed one with the initial you're after.  There are lots more with the surname.
http://210.8.122.120/indexes/index_search.asp?searchid=42

Mr J WINDER, 44, from Geelong,  Apr 1911, bound for Sydney.

Judith
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sarra

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Sunday 18 March 12 02:10 GMT (UK) »
Can anyone see this arrival on PROV?.  it would be useful to look at the fiche but I can't see a reference.
No I can't find it there.  However is the following link any help to you.
http://vic1847.comlu.com/39/johnbarry.html

Sarra

Offline Burrow Digger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Sunday 18 March 12 11:49 GMT (UK) »
That ships link was very useful, Thanks.

OK I will close this thread officially now since I have way information more than I originally asked for. I have a lot to sift through.

Thank you so much everyone for all your help. .

Burrow Digger

Offline AussieDee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday 14 August 12 15:21 BST (UK) »
I was searching for my Ancestor "Jeremiah Dee" born circa 1821 in Norwich, England when I found your thread.

The Mary Jane Dee you're looking for may be the same listed in this Birth Index:

When & Where Born: First December 1870 -- Parish [sic] County Bourke
Name & Whether present or not: Jeremiah Francis
Sex: Male
Father: Name; Surname; Rank; Profession; Age; & Birth-place: Jeremiah; Dee; n/a; Shepherd; 49; Norwich, England
When and Where Married; Issue Living and Deceased: 6th June 1862 Melbourne, Victoria; William Bernard 8, Eleanor 6, Mary Jane 2
Mother: Name and Maiden Surname; Age; Birth-place: Mary Dee, formerly Fitzpatrick; 34; Fermanagh, Ireland.

Birth Certificate for Jeremiah Francis Dee, 1 December 1870, 1871 Schedule A, Page 324, Victorian Registry of Births, Deaths & Marriages. Certified copy in possession of author.

Offline AussieDee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Monday 20 August 12 02:17 BST (UK) »
In addition to my last post, I found some pretty conclusive evidence that shows the Mary Jane Dee in my records is the same person as your Mary Jane Winder:

This is the Birth Index of my Great, Grandfather, the son of the other gentlemen, who is my Great, Great, Grandfather, and is therefore also the nephew of Mary Jane Winder (nee Dee).

Second Schedule
1903 Births in the District of Footscray in the State of Victoria, Registered by John G. G. Johilde
# 3025 [stamped]
1. No. 153-16
2. When and Where Born: December Twenty-Five 1903 / (sic) Footscray, County Bourke
3. Name and whether present or not: Stanley / Francis / Not Present
4. Sex: Male
5. (1) Name and Surname, Rank or Profession of the Father (2) Age (3) Birthplace: Francis / Dee / Laborer / 33 Years / Weribee / Victoria
6. (1) When and Where Married. (2) Previous Issues, living and deceased: November 8 1896 / Footscray / (sic) 5y / Elizabeth 4y / Pheobe 2y
7. (1) Name and Maiden Surname of Mother (2) Age (3) Birthplace: Ellen / Dee / m.n. Organ / 29 Years / Maryborough / Victoria
8. Informant: Mary Jane Winder

Offline Burrow Digger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Monday 20 August 12 05:19 BST (UK) »
AussieDee

Keep in my mind that this WINDER family is my mothers adopted family so that means that while you and I might be distantly related legally, we are not related biologically.  ::)

IF that makes any sense....

But still the information you guys have found is fascinating.

Thank you all so much.  ;D

Offline AussieDee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Monday 20 August 12 05:30 BST (UK) »
Hi Burrow Digger,

Yes I'm aware this doesn't make us related by blood.  I was just happy to be able help out.

Cheers,

AussieDee