Author Topic: Bowling Bradford Cemeteries 1800s query  (Read 4592 times)

Offline cocksie

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Bowling Bradford Cemeteries 1800s query
« on: Saturday 17 March 12 21:44 GMT (UK) »
A really basic question:
Records indicate a number of ancestors were buried at St Peter's, Bradford in the early 1800s (and late 1700s).  Is there still a cemetery there? (My googling and google earthing does not indicate there still is). 

Or would they have been buried at the Bowling cemetery (although when I have explored this option I can only find war graves)?

cocksie

Hallidays of Northowram, Roberts of Hovingham, Stampers of Kirkdale, Cocks of Mary Tavy Devon, Cocks of Redruth Cornwall, Manser of Sussex, Axel of East Sussex, Palmer of East Sussex, Hermitage of Sussex, Smale of Kent, Haddon of Devon, Cuthill of Kinross-shire, Lynn of Ireland, Seymour of Cork

Offline Victor Harvey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Victor is very ill, this account will close soon.
    • View Profile
Re: Bowling Bradford Cemeteries 1800s query
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 17 March 12 21:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi cocksie,
The NBI indicates that there were BOWLING burials at St Peter, Bradford during the period 1686-1792.
Victor
HARVEY, Guiting Power, Glos                     
PORTER, Gunmakers of Whitechapel
ALLEN - Blockley, BOWLES - Notgrove, BURROWS - Sevenhampton, COOK - Notgrove, DRINKWATER-LUNN - Aston Cross, FARDON - Temple Guiting, FAULKNER - Cheltenham, GADEN, GAYDEN, GAYDON, GRINHAM - Cheltenham, HART - Stow-on-the-Wold, LANE - Staverton, MOABY - Coln St Aldwyns, STAITE - Temple Guiting, TIMBRELL - Winchcombe, TYSOE - Warks & Glos, WHITFORD - Stanway, WINTLE - Forest of Dean, WYNNIATT - Stanway

Offline cocksie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 17 March 12 22:31 GMT (UK) »
Victor
Apologies (I am a bit thick so treat me as an ignorant beginner aussie) -

does the info in your post mean that there were burials at Bowling cemetery in time period 1686-1792 and this is where people (whose burial records state St Peter's) could have been buried?

And NBI means National Burial Index? Off to Mr Geggle that one!

I have looked at Undercliffe cemetery info but it appears to be a much later cemetery starting in mid 1800s - so no good to me (the other cemetery, name escapes me (Sch---) also appears to have started about the same time.

Records from St Peter's indicate the following burials:  1799 (Isaac Roberts), 1810 (Elizabeth Roberts) & 1839 (Sharp Roberts).  Do I assume they were buried at St Peter's (and graves probably long gone?).

The whole reason for this query:  my father is travelling to UK later this year and he thinks he will rock up to Bradford Cathedral (St Peter's), wander out into the cemetery and find these gravestones ...... which I do not think exist anymore or if they do, then they may be elsewhere ie Bowling .....

Apologies - longwinded and possibly confusing post

jenny
Hallidays of Northowram, Roberts of Hovingham, Stampers of Kirkdale, Cocks of Mary Tavy Devon, Cocks of Redruth Cornwall, Manser of Sussex, Axel of East Sussex, Palmer of East Sussex, Hermitage of Sussex, Smale of Kent, Haddon of Devon, Cuthill of Kinross-shire, Lynn of Ireland, Seymour of Cork

Offline Calverley Lad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 18 March 12 08:00 GMT (UK) »
Although the church at Bowling is still there, the graveyard was cleared out late 70's.
The whole area was cleared for the 'inner ring road ' Rooley Lane.
Correction from later post, graveyard was Bierley.
Scholemoor - Main council burial records office for Bradford would be able to provide the burial records.
 Regards Brian
Yewdall/Yewdell/Youdall -Yorkshire

Offline Victor Harvey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Victor is very ill, this account will close soon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 18 March 12 08:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jenny,
Yes, the NBI is the National Burial Index and it records only 2 burials at St Peter, Bradford - Isaac ROBERTS 23rd November 1799 and Elizabeth ROBERTS 15th August 1810.
Excuse my mistake in thinking the family surname was BOWLING.
Victor
HARVEY, Guiting Power, Glos                     
PORTER, Gunmakers of Whitechapel
ALLEN - Blockley, BOWLES - Notgrove, BURROWS - Sevenhampton, COOK - Notgrove, DRINKWATER-LUNN - Aston Cross, FARDON - Temple Guiting, FAULKNER - Cheltenham, GADEN, GAYDEN, GAYDON, GRINHAM - Cheltenham, HART - Stow-on-the-Wold, LANE - Staverton, MOABY - Coln St Aldwyns, STAITE - Temple Guiting, TIMBRELL - Winchcombe, TYSOE - Warks & Glos, WHITFORD - Stanway, WINTLE - Forest of Dean, WYNNIATT - Stanway

Offline dave the tyke

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 18 March 12 09:01 GMT (UK) »

I think Brian is referring to Bierley Church, there are still some headstones in the churchyard. Bowling cemetery is one of Bradford's municipal cemeteries and is located at the other side of Rooley Lane from the church.

Bowling consists of West and East Bowling. West Bowling is served by St Stephens Church and the graveyard there has been grassed over.

Burial records for St Peters (Bradford Cathedral) are available from Bradford FHS.
Bowling Cemetery records are available at Bradford Central library

Dave
Bland, Greenwood Bland, Ellis, Benn, Woodhead, Priestley, Illingworth, Lightowler, Platts, Boys, Bradley, O'Hara, Hall<br /><br />Areas -  North Bierley, Northowram, West Bowling, Horton, Shelf, Allerton, Queensbury, Haworth, Ovenden, Halifax, Luddenden, Midgley, Elland, Littleborough

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline cocksie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 18 March 12 09:11 GMT (UK) »
Thank you all for your responses.
I have spent a few hours Googling and reading so I think I am getting my head around it.

I have the burial register records of the three burials (previously posted) at St Peter's in 1799, 1810 etc.  So I assume they would have been buried at St Peter's.  However it does appear that no actual graves or tombstones are still there at St Peter's (Cathedral).

Some remains/graves were reinterred to Undercliffe & Scholemoor in mid 1800s but generally in mass graves - ie no tombstones etc.

So I think, with all your help, I may have found the answer to my original question (which wasn't particularly clear when I read it back to myself).

Thank you
jenny

Online arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 18 March 12 11:56 GMT (UK) »
A useful resource for the Bradford area is the transcriptions of gravestones made by Arthur Blackburn in (if memory serves) the 1920s. There are literally thousands of entries, many of which relate to stones no longer there.

This is normally available at Bradford Central Library (with copies available by post), but unfortunately services there are severely restricted at present - see http://www.bradford.gov.uk/bmdc/leisure_and_culture/library_and_information_services/a-z_of_libraries/libraries_city_centre_library for more information. In fact anyone wanting to visit Bradford Central Library (including West Yorkshire Archives which are normally found there) for any reason really needs to check that page.

I've had some useful MIs from the Blackburn collection, but in one or two cases he appears to have got it wrong - for a KELLETT memorial connected to my family he has recorded "Mary Kellett mother of the above and wife of William King" and later "William King", but I haven't any evidence that they ever used the surname KING, and the deaths of that Mary and William were both registered as KELLETT. Unfortunately that's a stone that's no longer there (I've looked), so it can't be checked - but on the other hand I'm glad that he made the effort as it's extremely useful nonetheless.

Arthur
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline JackYorkshire

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 02 January 24 13:09 GMT (UK) »
Although the church at Bowling is still there, the graveyard was cleared out late 70's.
Correction from later post, graveyard was Bierley.
Scholemoor - Main council burial records office for Bradford would be able to provide the burial records.
 Regards Brian

Thank you so much for this. I heard some where many years ago from family that St. John's graveyard was cleared out, but I couldn't think now who to ask. I've found that "John Booth" a relative was buried in the 'Parish of S John Bowling' January 1890. Do you know what happened to the graveyard that was cleared out in the 1970s and where they would be now?