Author Topic: looking for jane hamilton  (Read 1268 times)

Offline heatherwalsh

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
looking for jane hamilton
« on: Sunday 18 March 12 07:19 GMT (UK) »
hello looking for any information on jane hamilton. jane was my great granmother who was born in skerry about 1859. her father was named william, and i beleive she had a sister called agnes.   jane died on the 18th june 1928 in south shottsmyers, salsburgh, lanarkshire.   any information, no matter how small will be greatly appreciated.
spouse thomas mckelvie also born skerry 1859, died salsburgh 1848

kind reguards from heather

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: looking for jane hamilton
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 18 March 12 08:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
   31 May 1881, Thomas McKELVY, father Thomas, married Jane Hamilton, father William, in Ballymena Registrars Office.

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 18 March 12 09:16 GMT (UK) »
The civil marriage cert should give the couples townlands at the time they married. The only William Hamilton in Griffiths Valuation for Skerry parish in 1862 was on plot 5b in the townland of Islandstown (just north of the modern Glenravel Rd). That might be Jane’s father’s house.

Tradition was to marry in the bride’s church (which will be on the marriage cert, unless it was a registry office wedding). That church would be the place to look for Jane’s baptism and that of any siblings.
Elwyn

Offline heatherwalsh

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 18 March 12 09:43 GMT (UK) »
thank you both, this is information i did not have.......now i would say that might be janes father, as i did have thomas and jane mentioned in the glenravel history society.........i shall now go looking for william and see what i can find.........unfortunatly i cannot get certificates, or even view things like that as i dont have the finances...... but keep searching i shall !!! kind reguards heather.

Offline Dmac769

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 20 March 23 12:52 GMT (UK) »
Jane Hamilton was my great great grandmother, my grandmother was Agnes McKelvie who married David McIlwaine.  I found them in the census of 1901 on the Scotlands People website.
I believe that both Jane and her husband Thomas McKelvie came from Ireland and Janes father was William Hamilton and her mother was Sarah McBurnie.