Author Topic: Seeking Sedenary information  (Read 9017 times)

Offline Tennille

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Seeking Sedenary information
« Reply #9 on: Friday 30 March 12 00:34 BST (UK) »
My husband descends from Joseph Edward's marriage to Ann Mattingley. I think this is the most frustrating branch of our tree to research. There seems to be so many people researching it, but so much conflicting information. Someone even  has that Giuseppe was born in England in 1780. But it is one part of our family which I really want to know more about! So the search shall continue.  ;)

I have been searching through those census records from 1851 trying to find out who the other Sedunary is in volume 9. Hoping to stumble across something which has been transcribed incorrectly.

I seem to be asking myself more questions, than finding answers at the moment. How did Joseph Edward come to be in Berkshire? Did he go there on his own or did Giuseppe and Ann move there with him when he was young? Did Giuseppe and Ann remain in Middlesex?

Offline joboy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 30 March 12 02:04 BST (UK) »

I seem to be asking myself more questions, than finding answers at the moment. How did Joseph Edward come to be in Berkshire? Did he go there on his own or did Giuseppe and Ann move there with him when he was young? Did Giuseppe and Ann remain in Middlesex?
I dont think you are going to go past this point ..... I have tried for years even though my family involvement was fleeting with Mary Anns' death in Adelaide I still have an interest.
If I should stumble on anything I will certainly let you know.
If you want to continue further my experience tells me that you should concentrate on the Italian end particularly Modena.
Joe
Gill UK and Australia
Bell UK and Australia
Harding(e) Australia
Finch UK and Australia

My memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
Also, my memory's not as sharp as it used to be.

Offline joboy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 30 March 12 02:16 BST (UK) »
Another thought ......... you could go to newsgroups at soc.genealogy.italian and post an enquiry there.
Joe
Gill UK and Australia
Bell UK and Australia
Harding(e) Australia
Finch UK and Australia

My memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
Also, my memory's not as sharp as it used to be.

Offline DebbieG

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 30 March 12 07:43 BST (UK) »
I can answer one small question form here as I have the 1851 index vol 9 referred to.

The entry is for Elizth SEDUNARY aged 17

I checked her on An..y and found her as a single servant in the household of William Matkins in Swallowfield - she was born in Reading.
ref HO107/1693 Fo96 P7

:)

DebbieG
Pay(n)ton, Payton, Pe(a)rton all Oxfordshire and Berkshire - particularly Abingdon

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline horse000

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Ironbridge from the bridge
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 30 March 12 09:54 BST (UK) »
Hi

I think Joe is probably right, there aren't many ideas left to exploit...

I thought I'd have one last stab at the earlier Joesph/Guiseppe, using the name variant Seidenari, there doesn't appear to anything else close.

Source, IGI (submitted record), submitter has left his contact details:
Rosa Seidenari, b. 1767, Bastiglia, Modena.
Married Luigi Malagoli 1805, Bastiglia.

Source, Family Search:
Paolo Seidenari b. 1794, Concordia, Modena. d. 19 June 1868.
Spouse, Virginia Mazzola.
Parents, father Luigi, Mother Antonia Varini.

There are quite a few on the family search site, though I would suggest they are only guides as most of them are probably submitted. Some are born in the early 1800's, i.e. their parents must have been born in the late 1700's, there may be a clue or two, if you haven't already searched there.

Regards
Geoff
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Tennille

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 30 March 12 13:21 BST (UK) »
You know what they say about great minds thinking alike... I was only looking at the same information on Seidenari today. This spelling appears within years of the two years I have seen for Guiseppe/Joseph's birth. And it does appear in the Modena region which the family stories have suggested. So it is certainly something to consider.

Debbie, thank you very much for finding that census record for Elizabeth. There's one question answered! :)

Given the lack of records, and future generations leaving  for Australia and NZ... I'm even wondering if Guiseppe and Ann may have left England, either back to Italy or somewhere else. The Seidenari's seem to have gone to the USA.

Offline CHERAN

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 12 August 13 06:25 BST (UK) »
I have been searching for bits n pieces with regard Jane Sedunary who married Joseph Pearce Tregilgas.

I noted that you had Joseph Edward Sedunary in New Zealand but the info I have is arriving in Adelaide with wife Mary Ann -  2 Dec 1854 Port Adelaide From England On The "Lord Of The Isles"

How did they get to New Zealand?

http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/49203711?searchTerm=sedunary%20lord%20of%20isles&searchLimits=l-category=Article|||l-decade=185

I have also been trying to find a link to Sydney Frances Sedunary who died on the sinking of the Titantic...  I wonder is his father Thomas is the Son of Jane's half brother Samuel Sedunary...

:)Cheran

Offline Vicwinann

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 12 August 13 10:48 BST (UK) »
Hello,
In 1911 Sydney Sedunary  was in the Temperance Hotel in Oxford St, Southampton and was a ships steward. From my research his real namewas Samuel Francis Sedunary.
Encyclopedia Titanica has a full history.
http://www.encyclopedia-titanica.org/titanic-victim/sidney-francis-sedunary.html

His father was Thomas Theodore Sedunary (1861-1900) and mother Sarah Radbourn/e who Thomas married in 1882
The 1891 and 1901 show Samuel/Sidney at home in Newbury with 3 siblings.
Widowed Samuel Sedunary b 1833 is with them in 1891. Thomas looks to be Samuel's son from the 1881 and 1871, so yes, you seem to be right. That is the link.
The 1841/1851  have Joseph and Ann with both Samuel and Jane as children. 1861/71/81 has Samuel married to Elizabeth of Caversham
Familysearch has Samuel  bap 1830 as son of Joseph and Sarah, and Jane bap 1843 as dau of Joseph and Ann.
Berks fhs Marriage Index has Joseph marrying Sarah Chitty in 1827 and to Ann Mattingly in 1837. (Also has Thomas Theodore marriage to Sarah Radbourne)
Berks fhs Burial Index has Sarah's probable burial in Hurst in 1836 aged 42, Samuel, in Speen in 1892, and one for Ann Sedunary age 38 of Friar Street Reading in 1853. In 1851 Joseph and Ann were living in Friar Street and Ann was aged 37, so this looks to be her.
A Joseph Edward Sedunary married Mary Ann Hall in Camberwell Reg Dist in 1853, so this must be his third wife. You will need the marriage cert to be sure of the right Joseph.
I hope this helps clarify. I am not a relation. Just interested in the families of those on the Titanic. I have handled Sidney's watch when  I worked for the Maritime Museum, Southampton. I can send you all the censuses by private mail if you don't have them.
Yours
Vicwinann
Sellwood Berkshire Oxon Lancs Wilts; Cassell Berkshire and Guildford; Leighs Guildford and London; Saunders Portsea, Greenwich and Deptford ; Austin Cookham; Osgood Berkshire; Dack Norfolk; Darling Berkshire and Mapledurham; Wilkins Englefield Berks; Havenhand Derbys; Whileman Derbys; Reedman Derbys, Notts, Australia, Africa; Rottenberry Deptford and Devon;

Offline CHERAN

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 13 August 13 01:16 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your help....

you have been able to layout into a practical way conclusion...

I will do a check but Joseph Edward Sedunary that came to South Australia was meant to have married to his 3rd wife Mary Ann Langley Flower???

Is there a baptism record that would give Anne Mattingly's parents???

I have sent you a PM...

Cheran 8)