Author Topic: Tilley France  (Read 1967 times)

Offline Combover

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Tilley France
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 19 April 12 07:51 BST (UK) »
144 service numbers are 'General Service' or more commonly known as 'General List' which you have rightly identified.

The cap badge appears to be Royal Scots Fusiliers though...

Offline AthenaGr

• RootsChat Member
  • We live as long as we are remembered .
    • View Profile
Re: Tilley France
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 19 April 12 10:13 BST (UK) »
Hi Tom ,
Yes Tom my mother did mention many years ago that he was in the Royal Scottish Fusiliers . I have checked his papers and have only found 1 reference to them in the section for "Regiment or Corps' but is not mentioned anywhere else. It mentions 6 regiments each crossed out apart from 1 which I guess refers to him being transferred from one regiment to another.

R.S.C 039 (CROSSED OUT)
THE KING'S R 051 (CROSSED OUT)
KING'S OWN R. 050 (CROSSED OUT)
S STAFFORD R. 074 (CROSSED OUT)
RS FUS 031 (CROSSED OUT) I'm assuming that this is the Royal Sottish Fusiliers
R. NORFOLK R. 111 (NOT CROSSED OUT)

Unfortunately my father never spoke about his time in the army even when throughout the years myself and my brothers and sisters (all 14 of us ) were studying WW2 in our history lesson at school we'd ask him about his time and he'd just refuse to discuss it , any tiny pieces of information we had we got from my mother who really didn't know a lot herself.
I believe this is very common among many soldiers returning from war that they don't like to talk about their experiences. I think that what may have also added to my father's silence is that he was an Irish man from the Republic of Ireland fighting in the British Army and when he returned to Ireland after the war there was no hero's welcome for men like himself , in fact life was made very difficult for them.
So Tom any help you or any other rootschat members can do to help me find out information about my Dad ,I and all my family really do appreciate it.
Thank you.
Malone  -  Dublin City
Sunderland  - Co Carlow
Byrne - Donnybrook/ Ballsbridge Co Dublin/ Wicklow
Nolan  - Dublin City
Kavanagh - Dublin Wicklow
Price - Dublin City
Timmins - Dublin City