Author Topic: Electoral rolls for Foxdale  (Read 8205 times)

Offline Berrie

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Electoral rolls for Foxdale
« on: Monday 19 March 12 16:04 GMT (UK) »
My grandfather had a farm in Foxdale in the 1930/40s but I don't have an actual address for the farm. I wondered if anyone who has access to the electoral rolls could look him up for me? His name was Frederick John Hollins and his farm looked down over Foxdale. Two certificates I have for him just say Foxdale, but not the name of the farm or its location. I would like to visit the area again at some point in the future and would appreciate any help.

Offline Frances_mnb

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Electoral rolls for Foxdale
« Reply #1 on: Monday 19 March 12 17:53 GMT (UK) »
electoral rolls are not easy to look up (only at Manx Museum) - an Ethel Hollins was buried at Foxdale feb 1943 age 59 - the burial reg might give more info
try also asking on http://www.isle-of-man.com/genealogy/messageboard/index.pl as more chance of answer to this type of question
any thing with a Manx Connection

Offline Berrie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 19 March 12 21:52 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the info. Ethel Hollins was my grandfather's third wife. He married his fourth wife in 1946 but the address on the m.certicate just says Foxdale. How could I access the burial record for Ethel Hollins?

Offline Frances_mnb

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 19 March 12 22:00 GMT (UK) »
buy the transcription published by IoMFHSoc (www.iomfhs.im) or hope someone who has a copy responds (eg see my suggestion) - of course the optimum scheme is a day trip to Manx Museum library + also the next door iMuseum where you can find digital copies of newspapers (BMDs) - there may be a notice in IoM Times which is often available via the British Library digitised newspaper scheme via larger libraries

Offline Berrie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 20 March 12 16:46 GMT (UK) »
I think my grandfather lived at Doolish/Doalish/Dawlish Ard, Lower Foxdale, depending on which map you look at. This was the address on his stepson's school admission record in 1948. Getting nearer!

Offline Frances_mnb

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 20 March 12 17:33 GMT (UK) »
yes 1945 account of a court case Frederick Hollins vs Victor Wm Howe  for alledged assault - address given as Dawlish Ard - no address on Ethel's burial reg index nor on the headstone at St Pauls Foxdale

Offline Berrie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 20 March 12 18:15 GMT (UK) »
Brilliant! Does it say who assaulted who? I would love to have a copy of the article. Maybe I can access at the Library in Manchester. Fred would have been 71 then but he was a tough, no nonsense man. He lived to be nearly 100.

Offline Frances_mnb

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 20 March 12 18:33 GMT (UK) »
no only got the paragraph giving location (and that a special favour as was working at Museum on my own research and asked a member of staff) IoM Examiner 18 May 1945 page 3
maybe hold it over til your visit - Dawlish Ard (or more correctltly Doarlish Ard = High gap) is not exactly on the usual tourist trail tho site of a family killing in 1868 - see www.manxnotebook.com/famhist/v10n2.htm

Offline Berrie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 20 March 12 18:42 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the information. What a terrible tragedy.