Author Topic: Britt/Brett Family of Kilkenny  (Read 10584 times)

Offline SparlingWI

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Britt/Brett Family of Kilkenny
« on: Monday 19 March 12 19:52 GMT (UK) »
I was wondering how I would go about finding church information on my Great-grandmother birth/baptism record. I believe from accounts from my mother that my Great-grandmother, Julia Britt/Brett was born in the town of Kilkenny in August of 1862. I have found I believe the name of her father, from Julia's sister death certificate, it named her fathers name as Michael.
Julia had three sisters Elizabeth born 1863, Margarret born 1864 and Mary born 1873 and one brother Thomas born 1869. There may have been more but the above named came to America the girls came before Ellis Island records would be helpful and Thomas came in 1902.
From what I have found Micheal Britt/Brett died in 1911 in Kilkenny.

Any information or leads on where to look would be most helpful.
Pat

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Britt/Brett Family of Kilkenny
« Reply #1 on: Monday 19 March 12 20:01 GMT (UK) »
Julia was born just before the start of civil registration of births so you will need to check for church records for a possible baptism for her, but the later children (1864 onwards) should be included in Civil records. Do you know what denomination your Brett family were ?

There are a number of different RC and Church of Ireland parishes which cover Kilkenny city..

Do you have Michael's occupation ?

see : Introduction to Irish Records
        My Ancestor came from Ireland - where do I start?

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 19 March 12 20:21 GMT (UK) »
I have found I believe the name of her father, from Julia's sister death certificate, it named her fathers name as Michael.
From what I have found Micheal Britt/Brett died in 1911 in Kilkenny.

I think that Michael Brett death in 1911 in  Kilkenny district is a little too young to be Julia's father - he's about 32 when he died...so born c1879. Based n age this Michael possibly one of the 2nd two on this list from the 1911 census - although the ages are a little bit out :

Michael Br*tt, Co. Kilkenny

(the first one on the list is living in south Co. Kilkenny and the registration district based in Waterford city)

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 19 March 12 20:44 GMT (UK) »
I see from Ellis Island records that Thomas was a baker - maybe he's connected to this Brett household listed on the 1911 census at Parliament Street, Kilkenny city. The head of household is an Ellen Brett, age 55, widow and she is a Flour Merchant and also runs a Shop & Bakery.

see : Brett/Gorman/Wall household

It's also one of the addresses mentioned above - where one of the Michael Bretts was living..

Shane

My Surname Interests

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 19 March 12 20:55 GMT (UK) »
occupation  fits ... possibly your Thomas on the 1901 census ?

the age is a little bit out (28 vs 32), but he's a boarder in the household so he didn't fill in the form himself..

O'Connor/Brett/Lynch household - 1901

He is living with an O'Connor household in the townland of Black Common, which is near to the town of Callan to the south west of Kilkenny city. His place of birth is listed as 'Kilkenny City', so fits your clues..

Shane
My Surname Interests

Offline SparlingWI

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 20 March 12 02:44 GMT (UK) »
I think, I have to rethink this ..
When I was looking at my information I didn't know all the facts, but Shane you have laid out a great starting point.
First, yes Julia was a Roman Catholic, at least she was when she came over to America as she raised my grandmother Roman Catholic.
You hit on Parliament Street, I am hoping that the attachment that I am adding makes it on here as I have added a letter, it has been transcribed by a cousin. Michael Brett sent a letter to my GGrandmothers sisters husband, and Michael's address is 23 Parliament St. I was thinking this letter, even though it was an assumption on my cousins part,  "From a friend" is actually/possibly a brother to his sisters husband asking for borrowed money.
In the second letter attached, is from my Grandmother(Maggie) to the same sister of my GGrandmother,  My grandmother (Maggie) wrote:
"Mike wrote to Ma( Mary Britt's sister) and told her to be sure and let him know when the money was on it's way, that he needed it. Tom is still working, getting along fine and Helen and Babe are at school. Pa, of course, is still working steady, everyday.

It is a different way to ask for the money but I am sure the guilt that my GGrandmothers sister felt getting a letter from her niece was shameful.

So I am assuming that Ellen listed in the 1911 census is either a sister of Julia Brett( my GGrandmother) or a sister in law. And Michael Brett is Julia's brother.

Yes, Great clue on Thomas Brett from Ellis Island being a Baker, I totally over looked that and now with the census information makes total sense.

The Britt /Brett spelling has always gotten in the way as far as figuring it out. It's almost a 50/50 split on documents here in America . Brett's on marriage documents  and Britt's on death notices.

I can't thank you enough for your help it solved years of questions.

Pat

Offline jud72

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 21 March 12 09:07 GMT (UK) »
Have done a bit of research on the Britts of Kilkenny and may be able to help you out on this - need to check my notes....
However, I am a bit confused about something..... Mary Keenan nee Britt is listed (in your attached letters) as being the daughter of Thomas Britt and Judy Kelly. Were Julia and Mary not sisters?
However you say that Julia's father was called Michael.

Offline SparlingWI

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 21 March 12 13:10 GMT (UK) »
As I should have mentioned I believe someone might have made an assumption on the name of Mary Britt Keenan mother and father as being Thomas Britt and Johanna Kelly in the attached letters I posted.
Yes, Julia and Mary were sisters. I found one of the other sisters, Elizabeth/Lizzie, death certificate from Chicago, on the death certificate it states that the fathers name was Michael Britt. See the attached document.
I might have made an assumption also because of this document but it is the only thing I have found that states the fathers name. My great-grandmother Julia's states unknown. I have not found the other sisters, Mary or Margaret, death certificates at this time.
I guess I am confused also with the name - Britt and Brett it is has always been a difficult to figure out what is the correct name to use. As I said sometimes Britt is used and sometimes Brett is used .
On Elizabeth's death certificate they used Britt and on Julia's as well as Elizabeth,Mary and Margaret's marrage certificates all state the name Brett.
Very confusing.

Pat

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 21 March 12 13:12 GMT (UK) »
sorry - full certs are not permitted in posts, just small sections if you need help deciphering details...

If you wish to share certs with someone you can use the PM (personal message) system to exchange email addresses, and send them as attachments.

Leinster Moderator
My Surname Interests