Author Topic: Britt/Brett Family of Kilkenny  (Read 10583 times)

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Britt/Brett Family of Kilkenny
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 21 March 12 13:19 GMT (UK) »
I guess I am confused also with the name - Britt and Brett it is has always been a difficult to figure out what is the correct name to use. As I said sometimes Britt is used and sometimes Brett is used .
On Elizabeth's death certificate they used Britt and on Julia's as well as Elizabeth,Mary and Margaret's marrage certificates all state the name Brett.

'Correct' spelling of names is a relatively recent idea, during the times relevant to these people, spelling of recorded names varied quite a bit, often depending on which family member or official filled in the document.

Sometimes you can even find differences in spelling for a surname within the same record or cert..

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline SparlingWI

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 21 March 12 13:29 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Shane, for clearing that up on the name use, and I am sorry for adding those full certificates.
I have always used either Britt or Brett, as with my last name Sparling, it can get very confusing , variants, Sperling, Sparlin.

Thank you again

Pat

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 21 March 12 13:33 GMT (UK) »
no problem - certs for same countries have restrictions (e.g. copyright etc) so unfortunately none can be posted in full. If you have a small section that is unclear it's ok to post that.

It looks like jud72 has some details that should help your search quite a bit..

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline jud72

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 22 March 12 12:08 GMT (UK) »
I'm pretty confident that Julia's father, Michael, was the son of a William Britt who married Mary Lanigan and raised their family in Pottlerath, Kilmanagh about 10 miles to the west of Kilkenny. They had a son Michael who was born in 1833, but I had no idea what happened to him - presumably he moved to Kilkenny.
Some of the Britts of Pottlerath definitely moved to Blackmill, and many of them did go from there to the US. One of the letters you posted mentions the Lanigans and Brennans of Blackmill, and one of William and Mary's daughters did marry a Brennan. By 1901 there were no longer any Britts living in Pottlerath.
If you give me some further details (perhaps by personal message) of who Julia and her sisters married, where they lived etc., then I think I should be able to piece it all together. Also, where did Julia and Thomas live in the US? Any clues at all might help.
Thomas Britt (who married Johanna Kelly) was originally from Pottlerath but later moved to Kilkenny. This Thomas was a nephew of the William I mentioned at the start.

Offline Jack2227

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 28 August 12 20:05 BST (UK) »
Headstone in Ballyouskill graveyard.
Jack
--

Offline SparlingWI

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 29 August 12 04:28 BST (UK) »
Nice picture can you explain more about it, Pat

Offline Jack2227

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 29 August 12 09:27 BST (UK) »
The photo was taken in the small village of Ballyouskill, where I did not find any Lanigan headstones, but, there was Brennan, but Brennan can be found all over Kilkenny.
I would not know enough about the layout of Kilkenny parishes, so perhaps Ballyouskill is outside the range of your Brett's.
--
Jack