Author Topic: Darlington Cycle Club - 1930s - Spartan Wheelers  (Read 3114 times)

Offline Gail3169

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Darlington Cycle Club - 1930s - Spartan Wheelers
« on: Monday 19 March 12 21:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi, does anybody have any information or any idea of where to look for a Cycle Club that used to be in Darlington, Co Durham. I,m guessing about 1930ish and I believe the name was The Spartan Wheelers. If possible I'd love to find a members list or something with my Grandads name on it. He was very good and received prizes for winning his races. I,m not certain about the name but that's what my Mum believes it was called.

Many thanks

Offline Jolly Roger

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Darlington Cycle Club - 1930s - Spartan Wheelers
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 20 March 12 10:58 GMT (UK) »
http://www.communigate.co.uk/ne/richmonddarlingtoncyclingclub/index.phtml

Hi Have s look on here and you might find what you are looking for if not you can e-mail the club that exists today and ask questions.

JR
Lowson, Hodgson, Dent, Townson, Simpson, Brown, Bruce, and many more.

Offline Gail3169

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 20 March 12 21:40 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much, i never thought about that :)

Gail

Offline tillypeg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 21 March 12 20:49 GMT (UK) »
The Northern Echo has a pull-out section every Wednesday entitled "Echo Memories", deals with all sorts of local history, characters etc, written by the very capable Chris Lloyd, together with readers' input.  You could email him and ask about the cycle club.  The Echo often publishes old photos in that section and asks for the names of the people pictured, so I am sure someone would be able to help you.

The website is www.thenorthernecho.co.uk

Offline Mpoppins

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 29 June 12 19:59 BST (UK) »
Hi, does anybody have any information or any idea of where to look for a Cycle Club that used to be in Darlington, Co Durham. I,m guessing about 1930ish and I believe the name was The Spartan Wheelers. If possible I'd love to find a members list or something with my Grandads name on it. He was very good and received prizes for winning his races. I,m not certain about the name but that's what my Mum believes it was called.

Many thanks

HI THERE-YES I AM IN CONTACT WITH THE SECRETARY OF THE SPARTON WHEELERS CC-CAN YOU PLSE EMAIL ME ON , cheers 

Email address removed to prevent spamming etc.