Author Topic: WW1 NAVAL GRAVES  (Read 1321 times)

Offline Coffey

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: WW1 NAVAL GRAVES
« Reply #9 on: Monday 19 March 12 23:57 GMT (UK) »
Thank you GrahamSimons  :) I haven't seen those photos before, they are fantastic.
I will have to head to Kew and have a look at the log.
 :D

Offline GrahamSimons

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 20 March 12 00:09 GMT (UK) »
Don't get too excited about the log. It may say absolutely nothing about the ship's company and only state position, speed and course, stocks of coal and water, possibly names of officers joining/leaving the ship. I went looking for one death some time back and - despite it being an officer - not even mentioned by name but the fact they'd sent a burial detail ashore was mentioned. However you will find out where the ship was at the time and what she was doing.
Oher very long shots might include finding the officers' names and investigating whether they had left memoirs or notes or investigating the Imperial War Museum's holdings. There is correspondence there from a very distant relative of mine who was killed in action when HMS Monmouth was lost with all hands, for example. In this case the Record of Service was very thin indeed: the one-word report "Promising" and then "DD" - Discharged Dead.
I have just discovered that service records are available for RNR Ratings in the series BT377 - see this link http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/records/looking-for-person/royalnavalreserve.htm - so there's another target for you
Simons Barrett Jaffray Waugh Langdale Heugh Meade Garnsey Evans Vazie Mountcure Glascodine Parish Peard Smart Dobbie Sinclair....
in Stirlingshire, Roxburghshire; Bucks; Devon; Somerset; Northumberland; Carmarthenshire; Glamorgan

Offline ernestjames

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 22 March 12 12:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi
You should be able to get a copy of his Royal Naval Reserve record from the Fleet Air Arm Museum, RNAS Yeovilton, Ilchester. Google for their website and email address. They charge around £20 for a copy for an individual.
Where was Thomas Kiely born?
Hope this helps
best wishes
ernestjames
Irish merchant seamen in Great War period. CR10 cards 1918-21. RNR records of Irish born seamen.