Author Topic: Pilgrim Bury St Edmunds  (Read 2611 times)

Offline essexpoet

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Pilgrim Bury St Edmunds
« on: Tuesday 20 March 12 09:41 GMT (UK) »
Can anyone please help me by looking at Bury St Edmunds baptism records for any Pilgrims about 1774

I am specifically looking for a Roger Pilgrim who according to the 1851 census was born in Bury St Edmunds in 1774. To confuse matters the 1841 census shows him born in Essex!

Many thanks
Essex poet
Halstead ,The Hedinghams,The Maplesteads,The Belchamps,Gosfield,Gestingthorpe,Stisted,Toppesfield

Offline horse000

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Ironbridge from the bridge
    • View Profile
Re: Pilgrim Bury St Edmunds
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 25 March 12 17:20 BST (UK) »
Hi

They may be 2 different people, in 1841 he is seen as 60y, in 1851 he is seen as 77y.

Regards
Geoff
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline essexpoet

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 25 March 12 18:02 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your reply and idea Geoff. I feel pretty sure the 1841 & 1851 Rogers are the same. There only seems to be one Roger Pilgrim of any age in the whole country according to the census reports.
The one in the 1841 census did have a daughter Sarah who married a Joseph Keeling and Roger is living with them in 1851.

Regards
Essexpoet
Halstead ,The Hedinghams,The Maplesteads,The Belchamps,Gosfield,Gestingthorpe,Stisted,Toppesfield

Offline Keziah2

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 26 March 12 08:53 BST (UK) »
Hi

I have checked the Suffolk burial Index for you & there are no PILGRIM burials recorded in Bury St Edmunds c 1770+/-.  In fact there is one 1666 & the next is not until 1838 & there are only 4 in total, which tends to give some credence to his birthplace being Essex rather than BSE.

Sorry not to be of more help.
keziah

Offline essexpoet

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 26 March 12 09:20 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for your reply Keziah. Your reply is actually of great help. I have found a Roger Pilgrim baptised in Wickham St Paul Essex 1778 - but the mention of Bury St Edmunds in the 1851 census put doubts in my mind.

I am not sure how the 1851 census was compiled but if the "enumerator" took notes and wrote up the book later it could be that they could only read the "St" in their notes and mistranscibed - transcription errors seem quite common.

Kind regards
Essexpoet

Offline Keziah2

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 26 March 12 12:55 BST (UK) »
According to the familysearch.org website Roger Pilgrim married Rebecca Hardy 3 Dec 1811 Buttsbury

There are also a number of entries for children of the couple baptised in the Parish of Stock, not far from Buttsbury.

There is also a burial (submitted entry) for the burial of Roger Pilgrim 31 Oct 1852, Stock.

Only Wickham I know of in Essex is Wickham Bishops. 

Keziah

Offline Suffolk Mawther

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • William & Eliza Fulker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 26 March 12 13:02 BST (UK) »
Wickham St Paul is just over into Essex from Sudbury, Suffolk - down in the south of the county  ;D

Pat ...
Every time I find an ancestor,
I have to find two more!

SUFFOLK - Pendle, Stygall, Pipe, Fruer, Bridges, Fisk, Bellamy, Sparham - all link to  Framlingham 
DERBY - Bridges and Frost (originally Framlingham/Parham)
NOTTINGHAM - Lambert & Selby
BERKSHIRE/then Hammersmith LDN - Fulker
LDN/MDX - Murray, Clancy, Broker, Hoskins, Marsden, Wilson, Sale

GGfather Michael Wilson born Cork, lived Fulham London - moved to Boston USA 1889, what happened next?

Offline essexpoet

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 26 March 12 14:36 BST (UK) »
Keziah - Yes that is the correct family

Pat - again correct - Wickham St Paul is about 6 miles South of Sudbury. From my research on the Pilgrim family from around that area they did not seem to venture too far across the Stour - Sudbury & Cornard seems the limit - I would love to know if anyone knows different.

Essexpoet (born Essex but living in Suffolk the majority of my life)

Offline Keziah2

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 26 March 12 14:56 BST (UK) »
Well that puts a different light on it!  SBI records Pilgrim burials in & around Sudbury (1762 on) - inc an early one in Groton:
Roger Pilgrim buried 10 Nov 1612 Groton, St Bartholomew

Also reference to a Mary Pilgrim wife of Ruben abode Halstead, Essex, buried Sudbury All Saints 15 Jun 1826 age 70.

K