Author Topic: Quick Military Question  (Read 2647 times)

Offline millymcb

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Quick Military Question
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 20 March 12 17:50 GMT (UK) »
And of course he may have been baptised at any time after his birth...

What did his father do?  If he was military too then that may have affected the registration process?

Milly
McBride (Monaghan, Manchester), Derbyshire (Bollington,Cheshire), Knight (Newcastle,Staffs), Smith (Chorley, Lancs & Ireland), Tipladay (Manchester & Yorkshire) ,Steadman (Madeley,Shropshire), Steele (Manchester,Glasgow), Parkinson (Wigan, Lancashire), Lovatt, Cornes & Turner (Staffs) Stott (Oldham, Lancs). All ended up Ardwick, Manchester
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline liscoole

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Mary Hall nee Nevins 28-9-1914 - 16-3-2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 20 March 12 17:56 GMT (UK) »
thanks Milly!

He stated his father to be James Wilkinson a Beer Seller. Nightmare. No James Wilkinson in any census, was recorded as a beer seller. It feels like he went out of his way to avoid being traced by his descendants lol!

MAGEE (Dungannon Tyrone to Shankill Belfast, to Whitehouse Co Antrim,) HALL (Lisnaskea, Fermanagh to Yan Yean, Melbourne Australia) McIVOR (Whitehouse, Co Antrim), McCULLOUGH (Markethill, Armagh), DEMPSTER (Ballymena, Co Antrim to Belfast), CUMMING (Glasgow), EVANS (Llandysill, Montgomeryshire to Belfast), NEVIN/ NEVINS (Ballynahinch, Co Down to Belfast), EMMS (Kingston Upon Thames, Surrey), HURREY (Yan Yean, Whittlesea, Melbourne), FINLAY- Jane, of Co Down, m James McIvor 1867. HOBSON Tyrone

Offline ReadyDale

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 20 March 12 17:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi ReadyDale,

Thanks for your reply! Yes, he was a catholic before he got married, so its all starting to make sense now! Its very likely then that his birth may not have been properly registered. However I suppose his baptism in the Catholic church would have been recorded.

Also, can anyone tell me what the difference between Catholic and Non Conformist was?

many thanks :)
My understanding is that a non-conformist is one that doesn't conform to the main (CofE) religion. Bit of a catch-all term. So a Catholic would be regarded as a non-conformist, but a non-conformist would not necessarily be a Catholic (could be Baptist, Jewish, etc, etc).
Yes, the baptism would have been recorded at the Catholic church. Might be worth an e-mail. I am having reasonable success on that front myself (not in that geographic area though, so I can't advise specifics).

Offline liscoole

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 20 March 12 20:30 GMT (UK) »
Thanks ReadyDale I will try that :) :)
MAGEE (Dungannon Tyrone to Shankill Belfast, to Whitehouse Co Antrim,) HALL (Lisnaskea, Fermanagh to Yan Yean, Melbourne Australia) McIVOR (Whitehouse, Co Antrim), McCULLOUGH (Markethill, Armagh), DEMPSTER (Ballymena, Co Antrim to Belfast), CUMMING (Glasgow), EVANS (Llandysill, Montgomeryshire to Belfast), NEVIN/ NEVINS (Ballynahinch, Co Down to Belfast), EMMS (Kingston Upon Thames, Surrey), HURREY (Yan Yean, Whittlesea, Melbourne), FINLAY- Jane, of Co Down, m James McIvor 1867. HOBSON Tyrone

Offline bowman

• RootsChat Senior
  • Me in the woods 2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 20 March 12 20:44 GMT (UK) »
There is a James Thomas Wilkinson born Sept 1870 in Lowton which is a part of Wigan, this is from the Family Search site

name:   James Thomas Wilkinson
baptism/christening date:   18 Sep 1870
baptism/christening place:   Lowton, Lancashire, England
father's name:   James Wilkinson
mother's name:   Ann
indexing project (batch) number:   C16160-1
system origin:   England-ODM
source film number:   1469067 IT 2

I hope this might help.

Bowman
BEARD; BAKER; TAYLOR; SMITH: BEER

Offline liscoole

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 20 March 12 20:47 GMT (UK) »
Gosh thank you for that Bowman, I have never seen that before, I must investigate it further.

Many thanks again! :)

Offline bowman

• RootsChat Senior
  • Me in the woods 2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 06 April 12 20:05 BST (UK) »
As for the minimum age for enlistment, I am in the throes of transcribing RA brigade books, this is an extract from one such book, which shows that this chap was 12yrs and 9mths when he was attested, I have had several younger than this, I have included the page heading for clarification.

Bowman
BEARD; BAKER; TAYLOR; SMITH: BEER

Offline liscoole

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 06 April 12 20:09 BST (UK) »
Wow that is incredible :o
12 1/2 years old when he enlisted? Mind blowing really, he was still a child!
Many thanks for posting this, im not sure I would have believed it if I hadnt seen the proof with my own eyes!

Offline rutti tutti

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 07 April 12 06:17 BST (UK) »
Hi there - was about to post a similar question for someone born in December 1852. He joined the 14th hussars. What would his likely age be of entry into the regiment? He lived in London.
Thanks
Ruth
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk