Author Topic: Benjamin Irwin buried Old Drummond graveyard  (Read 5730 times)

Offline shanreagh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Benjamin Irwin buried Old Drummond graveyard
« on: Wednesday 21 March 12 06:06 GMT (UK) »
I have come across the burial of Benjamin Irwin who died on 21/8/1831 . His address is given as Derrybeg, parish of Drumachose and plot 2/1 Old Drummond graveyard. 

He is the husband of Mary and I think an ancestor of Benjamin Irwin who farmed at Shanreagh at the time of Griffiths.  There are several Benjamin Irwins from around Ballykelly/Ballyspallan/Shanreagh and I think they may be  related to Ann Irwin (though there may be Donaghmore Tyrone connections here as well) who married Isaac Ramsey(Ramage of Shanreagh) in 1843.  They had a son Erwin/Irwin Ross Ramage (known as Ross) who was born 3/8/1844 and died in NZ 4/9/1905

Have looked for Derrybeg but no luck so far. Does Derrybeg still exist?
Is the Old Drummond graveyard at the old Drumachose church, the one in ruins on way to Coleraine (I think). If it is not this one does anyone know where the Old Drummond graveyard is?  Would plot 2/1 still be in existence?

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Benjamin Irwin buried Old Drummond graveyard
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 21 March 12 07:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
   Derrybeg is just to the NE of Limavady and south of Derrymore. It lies between the junction of Bolea Road and the Windyhill Road. There are two Drummonds near Limavady, one just to the east of the town and the other north of the village of Ballykelly. The old Drumachose graveyard, nowadays enclosed by the wall of the Drenagh estate, but close to one of the Drummonds. There are also two old graveyards near Ballykelly one of which is close to the other Drummond. I know that the other Ballykelly graveyard, near Moneyrannel, has at least two Irwin graves. One is my side of the family.

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline shanreagh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 21 March 12 07:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

oh of course the Drummond Hotel at Ballykelly. If one of the old Ballykelly graveyards is Tamlaghtfinlagan then Nancy Ramage was buried there in 1885.  I ?think? she was the former Ann Irwin who married Isaac Ramage of Shanreagh in 1843 and was the mother of my Gt Gt grandfather. Are your Irwin kin related/connected?
I'm busy looking at these on my copy of a 1904 map of limavady

regards

Offline shanreagh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 21 March 12 07:52 GMT (UK) »
To be more precise Nancy Ramage (irwin) was buried in the Old Tamlaghtfinlagan Burying Ground in 1885. 

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 21 March 12 08:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
   The old Tamlaghtfinlagen graveyard is the one along Tully Road near Moneyrannel. I don't think that my Irwins are connected as the man was originally from Leeke bur farmed in Derryork where he had inherited a farm. As a point of interest there was a substantial family in Derryork called Ramsay.

Regards
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline shanreagh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 25 March 12 00:58 GMT (UK) »
. I know that the other Ballykelly graveyard, near Moneyrannel, has at least two Irwin graves. One is my side of the family.
Hi again
Would you mind telling me, if you know, who the two Irwin graves are?  I had a quick look when I was there in 2003 and could not see my ancestor Nancy Ramage (who I think may have been Ann Irwin). I was not looking for Irwins at that stage.
Do you know if there is a list of the headstones there...have looked on several sites but no luck so far.

Shanreagh

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 25 March 12 08:03 BST (UK) »
Hi,
    See  http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gsr&GScid=2412822
This lists some of the graves in the old graveyard, including the two Irwin graves.

Regards
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline cyclamen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 04 April 12 20:07 BST (UK) »
I wonder if you have this.
John McCully Irwin, a farmer residing at Ballyspallen, Parish of Tamlaghtfinlagan,  married Isabella Getty in Waterside Reformed Presbyterian Church on 1st July 1886. John's father was Benjamin Irwin, a farmer. Witnesses were Margaret Getty and Robt. J. Irwin.
Moody, Patton, Hemphill, Haslett, Hopkins, Simpson, Fleming,Walker. Co Londonderry
Simpson, Moody Co Armagh
Walker Co Tyrone, Co Donegal and Dublin

Offline shanreagh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 04 April 12 22:25 BST (UK) »
Thank you I did have the marriage but not the witnesses names so that is an important link as I have found they are often parents or other important links to the family.  I am amassing material on the Ballykelly Irwins especially those with similar naming patterns to my Ramage family.

I am trying to establish that the  Isaac Ramsey/Ramsay who married Ann Irwin in 1843 is my gt gt gt grandfather Isaac Ramage who married a Nancy (and Nancy Ramage died in 1885) and was buried in T/F old burying ground.  The Ramage/Ramsay names seem to crop up and I wonder if inheritance once went to a Ramsay son in law of the Ramages back in the 1700s. 
I will ask some more questions!