Author Topic: Roland Holloway PA  (Read 22174 times)

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
Re: Roland Holloway PA
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 22 March 12 11:11 GMT (UK) »
Following reply 15 - Border Crossing - Roland Holloway. Born about 1890 Australia and aged 28 years and 10 months. Married. Fireman. Left US at Phila
Port of Departure: Liverpool, England - Port of Arrival :- St Albans. Vermont - 10 June 1919 on the Tunisian.
Rose aged 23 years and 9 months. Housewife. Last address Mrs Young (Aunt) Station Road. Margate. England. 

If this is not you, then it might be another contact who was enquiring in March 2010  ???

http://genforum.genealogy.com/holloway/messages/4306.html

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 22 March 12 11:21 GMT (UK) »
There is a Rose Down in Kensington London in 1901  ???

William J Down 36  Annie F Down 28 Rose M Down 4
Mary Moneypenny 54  Mary J Moneypenny 18  George F Moneypenny 16

The birth for Rose may be listed as - Rose Downes  -  Q4 -  Oct-Nov-Dec 1897
Mile End Old Town - London  Volume: 1c  Page: 496

IF it is the correct one, Rose appears with her widowed grandmother in 1911

Sandra   

"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Online shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 22 March 12 11:56 GMT (UK) »
There appears to be a marriage record for one of the daughters here:
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/F3S3-4M4

Online shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 22 March 12 12:00 GMT (UK) »
There is a WWI draft registration card for Rowland Hollaway born 1 Jul. 1890 in Melvin (I think?), Victoria, Australia.  He was registered in Trenton, New Jersey, but his home address looks like Delaware and Riker Boat Daulphin.  Occupation was fireman.  He was single with no dependents, an alien, white, 3 yrs. of military service in Australia, tall, medium build, blue eyes, and brown hair.  The card was dated 5 Jun. 1917.

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Big sister with baby brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 23 March 12 09:54 GMT (UK) »
According to his father's obituary in a newspaper, in 1916 Rowland was "at the front".
I am Australian, from all the lands I come (my ancestors, at least!)

Pine/Pyne, Dowdeswell, Kempster, Sando/Sandoe/Sandow, Nancarrow, Hounslow, Youatt, Richardson, Jarmyn, Oxlade, Coad, Kelsey, Crampton, Lindner, Pittaway, and too many others to name.
Devon, Dorset, Gloucs, Cornwall, Warwickshire, Bucks, Oxfordshire, Wilts, Germany, Sweden, and of course London, to name a few.

Online shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 23 March 12 15:00 GMT (UK) »
The 1919 border crossing that Sandra found says that he was previously in the US from 1916-1918, and Rose was never in the US before.  There are manifest markings that refer to Rose being naturalized. A date mentioned on the markings was 1/29/38, which was probably when her arrival in the US was verified by an immigration clerk. 

The 1930 Census says that Rowland immigrated in 1916 and was a WWI veteran, so that seems to match the other information.  Hopefully, the 1940 Census, which is soon to be released, will give you more helpful information about this family.

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Big sister with baby brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 23 March 12 21:58 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Shellyesq for all that you have found.
I am Australian, from all the lands I come (my ancestors, at least!)

Pine/Pyne, Dowdeswell, Kempster, Sando/Sandoe/Sandow, Nancarrow, Hounslow, Youatt, Richardson, Jarmyn, Oxlade, Coad, Kelsey, Crampton, Lindner, Pittaway, and too many others to name.
Devon, Dorset, Gloucs, Cornwall, Warwickshire, Bucks, Oxfordshire, Wilts, Germany, Sweden, and of course London, to name a few.

Offline SCfamily2022+

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 23 September 22 22:21 BST (UK) »
The 1919 border crossing that Sandra found says that he was previously in the US from 1916-1918, and Rose was never in the US before.  There are manifest markings that refer to Rose being naturalized. A date mentioned on the markings was 1/29/38, which was probably when her arrival in the US was verified by an immigration clerk. 

The 1930 Census says that Rowland immigrated in 1916 and was a WWI veteran, so that seems to match the other information.  Hopefully, the 1940 Census, which is soon to be released, will give you more helpful information about this family.

I believe this was my great grandfather and great grandmother

Rosemary became a U.S. citizen around  1938. All of her children were born in the United States in the 20's and 30's

Offline SCfamily2022+

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 23 September 22 23:11 BST (UK) »
Thank you Shellyesq for all that you have found.

Some of the dates are off for sure. I do believe this is my family in this forum