Author Topic: 2nd battalion Royal Artillery from 1834  (Read 2603 times)

Offline barbatalice

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
2nd battalion Royal Artillery from 1834
« on: Friday 23 March 12 11:57 GMT (UK) »
Please excuse me ignorance on matters military
I am researching Thomas RICHARDSON who is variously recorded as a bombadier / gunner & driver in the 2nd Battalion Royal Artillery in 1833, 1834 & (possibly) 1839 under Capt Charles OTWAY.
I gather that a battalion was sometimes less than 1000 men.

My questions:
What was a driver in 1834?
What was the 2nd battalion doing in 1833-4 up to about 1839?
How can I find Thomas RICHARDSON's attestation or other military records?
Did the 2nd battalion have a name change in 1840-50 and/or were the men of 2nd battalion transferred to other units?
Any other information on 2nd Battalion Royal Artillery gratefully received
Thanks
Barb

Offline gortonboy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gorton
    • View Profile
Re: 2nd battalion Royal Artillery from 1834
« Reply #1 on: Friday 23 March 12 12:00 GMT (UK) »
hi,,when and where was Thomas born ?  ;)
MCHUGH {mayo/manchester}   OHora,MCHALE{mayo/manchester /chicago}  KENNY{Manchester}   TIMPERLEY{wilmslow-bollin fee,Manchester} SMITH{manchester}  LEE{Colne,manchester,Cheshire} VENABLES {Styal.Cheshire} PAYTON {Staffs/Manchester}McCARTHY{TIPPERARY/MANCHESTER}  EAMES/AMS/HEAMES/HAMES/AYMES {Wilmslow/Manchester} Eames/Aymes  {Ireland/Manchester/Cheshire
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline barbatalice

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 23 March 12 12:17 GMT (UK) »
And this is my problem and why I am hunting about for Thomas RICHARDSON's military records

I have no idea when or where he was born or what became of him after about 1840.
He married in Woolwich in 1833 at which time he was a gunner in the Royal Artillery
I can't find him or his wife Margaret in the 1841 census or any subsequent census so no clue about age or birthplace
I am assuming that he was at least 20  when he married in 1833, so  born about 1813 or before.

That's all I have

Barb

Offline gortonboy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gorton
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 23 March 12 12:22 GMT (UK) »
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,565204.msg4176616.html#msg4176616

have you found his marriage record to Margaret Malcom? 
MCHUGH {mayo/manchester}   OHora,MCHALE{mayo/manchester /chicago}  KENNY{Manchester}   TIMPERLEY{wilmslow-bollin fee,Manchester} SMITH{manchester}  LEE{Colne,manchester,Cheshire} VENABLES {Styal.Cheshire} PAYTON {Staffs/Manchester}McCARTHY{TIPPERARY/MANCHESTER}  EAMES/AMS/HEAMES/HAMES/AYMES {Wilmslow/Manchester} Eames/Aymes  {Ireland/Manchester/Cheshire
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline barbatalice

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 24 March 12 12:26 GMT (UK) »
yes I have seen that marriage in parish register.  Unfortunately it gives no clues about the origins of Thomas RICHARDSON or his wife Margaret MALCOLM.
The Royal Artillery birth index for 1834 ( daughter Mary Elizabeth RICHARDSON) states that Thomas was gunner & driver and implies that he was in Royal Artillery 2nd battalion in 1834

On his twin daughters' birth cert of 1839 he was still a gunner in RA, presumably in 2nd battalion

Barb

Offline shylalp

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 23 July 13 13:08 BST (UK) »
Hi Barb,
Did you ever find out anything more?  I'm looking for information on the 2nd Bn Royal Artillery under Otway as well.  I know they were likely in Canada in the 1830s (I have to ancestors born at Fort Chambly and Fort Henry during the 1830s whose father was in the 2nd battalion as company sergeant in the late 1830s).
Just a guess, but would a "driver" be like a teamster--someone who drove the horses?
Recently I found my ancestors discharge papers (1845) at findmypast.com (or findmypast.co.uk) which were tremendously helpful--had his birthdate and place, as well as a summary of his service of 20 years.
Liza

Offline barbatalice

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 24 July 13 01:20 BST (UK) »
Hi Liza
I have made no progress on Thomas RICHARDSON or the 2nd Battalion in the 1830s.  Haven't been able to find his discharge papers on FindMyPast.   

Thanks for the Canadian hint - this is the first clue I have seen as to where the 2nd Bn might have been and what they were doing at that time.  Having the names of the two Forts is great - this might give some leads.

In what years were your ancestors born at the Canadian forts? One of Thomas RICHARDSON's daughters was born in Woolwich England 18 May 1834. Your ancestors' birth dates might help us work out the Bn's movements in the 1830s.

Offline shylalp

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 24 July 13 01:58 BST (UK) »
Isn't it funny, I assumed they were constantly in Canada (the family remained here in Canada), but of course you're right, they moved about.  The parents were married 4 Apr 1836 in Kent near Chatham, England.  The eldest daughter was born 22 January 1837, at sea.  Next came a son in 11 Feb 1839 at Fort Chambly Quebec.  And finally a daughter in 1844 (not sure why I don't have her exact birthdate yet) at Fort Henry, Ontario.
Assuming that my ancestor (the father) actually remained in the 2nd Battalion Rifle Artillery from the time of his enlistment in 1820 (as an underage "drummer"), then his discharge papers also mention time in Gibraltar....just had a closer look at the papers again, he spent 5 yrs 11 months at Gibraltar, and 7 years 4 months in Canada before his 1845 discharge, totalling 13 years 3 months spent abroad.