Author Topic: 1916  (Read 15921 times)

Offline Sonas

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 1916
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 20 May 12 17:35 BST (UK) »

Hello Collech,

Tara is quite right in her suggestions, I would also suggest contacting the Irish National Archives in Bishop St. Dublin by phone or email and asking for their help.  Collins Barracks in Dublin has considerable archives, also Cathal Brugha Barracks.  All these things, of course, you may have done.  There is a book called Guns and Chiffon (author unfortunately I have forgotten) but is about womens' involvement in the rising and will have useful references and bibliography. Hope this is of some little help. Good luck

I haven't seen Collins Barracks referenced before in terms of having 1916 material - what do they have?

Offline Katecait

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 20 May 12 19:05 BST (UK) »
It was over 10 years ago when I contacted them and they had military records from 1916, including records of insurgents.  They are now part of the National Museum of Ireland. As far as I know they still have the records but can certainly tell you where they are if they have been moved. 

Offline Sonas

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 20 May 12 19:23 BST (UK) »
Thanks. do you know if they are original records or copies of something held elsewhere? Apologies for sending your query off on a tangent Collech.

Offline Jbrownjordan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 21 September 12 20:51 BST (UK) »
Hi not sure if any of this helps I only have a bit but have been trying to build my family tree and have come across the leech's
Hopefully you are talking about the same leech's, the garret leech who was the leech barges master??? Owned boat no.15 and no.16 on the royal canal???

I only have so far have a Mathew leech who married Mary Corcoran
They had a child called garret leech born 10/7/1825 in killucan who married Catherine Mitchell
They had a daughter Mary leech who was born sometime in 1869 who married Patrick Corcoran on the 8/8/1869

Mary leech is my 3rd great grandmother so if any of this helps you and if you have any info to help me that would be great.

My great great grandad Gerald Corcoran born 1874 and died in 1946 was one of Mary leech and Patrick corcorans 6 children

Gerald Corcoran then married Mary Kate Kelly on the 10th march 1897

I know I've kept going but any info would be great

Thanks Jordan
CORCORAN - Ireland,  anthenry, Dublin
LEECH - Ireland,  killucan
PURDUE - Ireland,  Dublin   -   England, Newcastle
KELLY + GERAGHTY -  Ireland
BARRETT -  England, newcastle

Offline collech

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 24 September 12 23:21 BST (UK) »
Hi Jordan               
           Only saw your message today, nice to meet you.Yes it is the same family.
           Just a few things that are different Garrett leech was born 1804 approx.     
            he died 1890.If he had anything to do with the barges i don't know. His son James
            married i think into the barges if you could tell me different i would be grateful.
            A lot of Leech's lived in Killucan at this time, it is still a well known name there.
            My garrett married Catherine on the 02-02-1834.Mary was b/bap.30-08-1847   
            m.08-08-1869.I don't know if there is any thing else i could tell you.But i would
            appreciate if you could pass on the births of there children.Did you know they
            had a few down the country.If there is anything i can help with leyt me know.
                                                                 Colm

Offline Jbrownjordan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 10 October 12 16:14 BST (UK) »

Hi Colm

sorry for the delay, thats great, however im a bit confused with dates :/
if garret died in 1890 at 86 then i can see where you got the date of birth however i have garrett being born on the 10/07/1825??? and i also have his wife catherine born on the 20th of oct 1834 which confuses me as thats later than when you have her marrying garrett.
also im not at all sure about matthew as i have a matthew leech and mary corcoran as garrets parents.
and the only child i have for garrett is mary leech born 1849?? and marrying patrick corcoran on the 8th of oct 1869, they had 6 kids.

i also have catherine mitchell's parents michael mitchell and judy cusack, they got married on the 1st nov 1823

i hope some of this helps as im not sure???

jordan

Offline collech

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 14 October 12 00:35 BST (UK) »
Hi Jordan   
        The great thing about Genealogy is the puzzle that 
         has to be solved. What i have found so far my g granfather
         James Leech married Christina Mulligan on the 13-05-1866
         in St. Laurences Dublin. His parents given as Garrett and Christina.
         On the 08-08-1869 Patrick Corcoran married Mary Leech in St.Agathas
         Dublin.Her parents the same as James.I have Mary's b/bap as 30-08-1847
         which made Mary twenty-two when she married.
              As for Garrett as i said already he died in 1890 aged 86 giving me 1804
          for his birth.As for his marriage i have marrying on the 02-02-1834 and his
         first child b/bap 15-03-1835.As i said in my earlier reply the leech name is
         abundant around that area.There is also a Leech family in kilcok Kildare
          with the same names. Could you tell me about the Barges as my g granfather
          had Barges on the canal at one stage. Forgot to mention i have them comig from
          Longwood Co. Meath first and then on to killucan.
                                                  Sorry for going on.
                                                                     colm

Offline Jbrownjordan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 16 October 12 13:29 BST (UK) »
Hi again

I'm trying to look for more links at the moment but in the meantime here's the barges

http://irishwaterwayshistory.com/abandoned-or-little-used-irish-waterways/the-royal-canal/leech-of-killucan-horse-drawn-boats-on-the-royal/

http://heritageboatassociation.ie/cms/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=143&Itemid=64

Just some bits I could find on them, the barges are still there today, the reckage remains next to the canal :) I think somewhere near lock 18???

Jordan :)

Offline collech

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 07 November 12 23:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jordan
         Just wondering are these Mary and Patrick's children-
         John b.1870 killucan
         Catherine b. 1871 Cavan
         Mary Anne b.1873 Dublin
         William b.1875 Dublin
         Mary Ellen b.1879 Dublin
         Margaret b.1877  Dublin
         Gerald b.1874 Galway   
   I found Catherine and Gerald on Familysearch.
                Hopefully this can be of help to you.