Author Topic: Doriscourt Nursing Home Whalley Range  (Read 48298 times)

Offline lib58

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Doris Court Whalley Range
« Reply #36 on: Monday 31 March 14 16:30 BST (UK) »
here is a photo of the sign.It is a block of flats and has been for years.Years ago I used to clean them not knowing that it's where my husband was born.

Offline lib58

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Monday 31 March 14 16:34 BST (UK) »
I walk past this Landmark today.I used to think it was the building next door but one to it.Seems a mysterious place.My Husband had a difficult relationship with his parents and although his Mother claims she had him there he has over the years he has been wondering if he was adopted or something else went on.As his parents always claimed they wanted a daughter.Maybe it's my husband trying to fathom out his relationship with them.

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Monday 31 March 14 16:37 BST (UK) »
If he was adopted, he'd have an adoption certificate rather than a birth certificate.

Offline lib58

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Monday 31 March 14 16:48 BST (UK) »
I think he has a birth certificate with his parents it was a strained relationship.I think he might be reading into it too much.He thinks he was born there for other reasons but his parents doctor was a local jewish doctor and my mother in law has always been into paying private if she can for medical issues.

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Monday 31 March 14 17:13 BST (UK) »
The doctor who sent me there was Jewish, and we lived a good 15+ miles from the place.  The doc was a friend of my dad, not our usual GP, and he was a private GP, so my guess is that it was the private GPs who sent patients, married or not, to Doriscourt.

Offline lib58

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Tuesday 01 April 14 08:43 BST (UK) »
The Doctor who My Mother-in-law went to was a Dr Shamirate...I don't know how you spell it properly but he had a surgery I think on Stretford Road Old Trafford 10 mins away from the nursing home.When you said about an adoption Birth Certificate what does it look like or say?My husband was born in Sept 1956 there.

Offline lib58

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Tuesday 01 April 14 09:04 BST (UK) »
The Block of Flats is called Russell Court where Doriscourt stood.

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Tuesday 01 April 14 11:54 BST (UK) »
lib58 - An adoption certificate looks like a birth certificate, but although it gives date of birth, it gives names of adoptive parents and is (from memory) red rather than green of the birth certificates.  It also has a heading saying something about adoption.

It's easy to check if your husband was adopted, go to www.freebmd.org.uk, (as the name suggests it is a free site), put in your husband's name, year of birth - it asks for date range, so just put Sept 1956 to Dec 1956 - as it gives the quarter the birth was registered and someone being born in September, might have been registered in the October-December quarter,  and Lancashire for the county.  You can also put his mother's maiden name, if your husband knows it.  If his birth shows up then he will have been born to his parents.  If it doesn't then it's possible he was adopted and given a new name.

If your husband has a passport he will have had to show his birth certificate (or adoption certificate) to get it. 

Lizzie

Offline lib58

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Tuesday 01 April 14 12:08 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that it does show his mother's maiden name...Doesn't look like he was adopted.