Author Topic: Doriscourt Nursing Home Whalley Range  (Read 48258 times)

Offline Joan67

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Doriscourt Nursing Home Whalley Range
« Reply #63 on: Tuesday 28 July 15 19:16 BST (UK) »
Sorry I also meant to say  treating nipples at the time was excellent practice as it helped to prevent cracked nipples

Offline lib58

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: Tuesday 28 July 15 19:32 BST (UK) »
I was just quoting my mother in laws experience at Doris Court in 1956. I know in certain maternity delivery units stirrups were used and bringing the baby to the mother from the nursery.I've given birth to nine myself bottle fed my first breast fed the other eight.My mother in law used to tell me about her experience as she only had my husband.

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: Tuesday 28 July 15 19:47 BST (UK) »
I don't think many mothers gave birth in stirrups in the 1950s and 1960s.  I certainly didn't, not at Doriscourt, or later when I had my other "legitimate" children in the 1960s.  It is true that in all maternity homes and hospitals, babies were only brought to mothers for feeding and then went back to the nursery, I know today's mothers wouldn't like that, but we did at least get a good rest so that when we went home we were fit and well and able to care for our babies, most of whom had got into a routine of 4 hourly feeding, rather than the feeding on demand that most mothers are used to today.

I trained as a midwife in the 1970s and babies stayed with the mothers then, (so much earlier than the 1980/90s Joan67) although they were taken away to the nursery at night so the mothers could get a good sleep.  Some mothers wanted to be woken to feed their babies during the night, others were happy for their babies to be given a bottle during the night.  It made absolutely no difference to the babies.

I've already sent a PM to Sarah regarding the letter from "A" with more of my side of the Doriscourt story but I don't want to post it on here.

Sarah - I don't know why I called "A" Anne, I was feeling a bit under the weather the other day (I think I'd had food poisoning after a meal out and was just recovering) and must have just read it as Anne. No wonder you were surprised, you must have thought I knew who had written the letter.

Lizzie

Offline lib58

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: Tuesday 28 July 15 20:54 BST (UK) »
I never had my babies removed to the nursery.Had my first in 1978 the ninth in 1999.Some Ladies might of had a Stirrup experience for other reasons.My Mother in Law seemed to think it was common practice when I had my first.I walk past where Doris Court was and often it makes me think of its hidden past when I see the number still on the Gate Post.Only last Friday I was looking at it.

Offline LYNDA 1953

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: Thursday 15 October 15 14:26 BST (UK) »
I was asked to look for his Brother by my Nephew, he had been born at Doris Court as had his Brother who had been adopted, I went through all the official channels but the records were lost in a fire and despite paying to have searches done by them who had then found out his adopted surname I couldn't locate him as he didn't reply to any of the letters that were sent out.
His Mum had been a midwife, maybe even at the home, not sure but it was Dec 1962.
She has passed away now and my nephew wonder if they had shared the same Father? Very sad that no records were left, it would be very hard for anyone to trace her without someone having the information that I have and to be able to tell them what she was like she let this adoption a very tight secret for all of her life??

Offline LYNDA 1953

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: Thursday 15 October 15 14:27 BST (UK) »
sorry can someone tell me exactly where this was located as my nephew now lives in USA and I may pop over and take a photo for him

Offline lib58

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: Thursday 15 October 15 21:29 BST (UK) »
It's now a block of flats Russell court. I'm 5 mins from it.So I'm going to take a photo tomorrow as I'm out shopping so I walk past it

Offline lib58

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: Thursday 15 October 15 21:30 BST (UK) »
It's Upper Chorlton Road.

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: Thursday 15 October 15 21:35 BST (UK) »
Lynda - attached are 2 photos of Doriscourt, not that you can see much of the house.

copyright images removed