Author Topic: Patrick Preston Homestead  (Read 6488 times)

Offline 19cats

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Patrick Preston Homestead
« Reply #9 on: Monday 14 May 12 18:44 BST (UK) »
Is there any way to determine if one of these is the original Preston homestead?  The one on the right looks like a possibility even though it doesn't have a thatched roof since presumably the roof would have been replaced with more modern materials.  I work for the Recorder of Deeds and know how to trace properties back in this country, but don't know how Irish property records are kept.
Preston, Knockaun Township, Co. Mayo, Ireland; James, Martin, Wareing from Preston, Lancashire, England

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 14 May 12 18:52 BST (UK) »
If you have the household on Griffith's then you can trace the property forward using the Revision books also known as the Cancelled land books. Most of these are held in the Valuation office in Dublin (Irish Life building).

The format is similar to Griffith's with occupant and immediate landlord, but each time's there's a change in either, the older record is crossed out and the new details are added in a different coloured ink. Every so often a new volume is started and the the latest details are transferred. The previous volume is then 'cancelled'. These books usually cover up the the 1970s or so.

The National Library has better maps on internal PCs to go with Griffiths - you might be able to establish where the building was on these. They have an arrangement with Origins Network who scanned the returns and maps.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 14 May 12 19:01 BST (UK) »
sorry - just spotted that you are in the US, so neither of those resources would be possible for you to access.

The problem with the Griffith Maps on AskAboutIreland is that they are not from the same timeframe as the valuation - so it's not possible to be certain about the location of a property or building, or even if it still existed by the time those maps were created.

S.
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 14 May 12 19:07 BST (UK) »
A few years ago, I contacted the Land Registry Office (think that was it)  in Dublin and, for a reasonable fee, I was sent copies of the records as outlined by Shane.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline 19cats

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 14 May 12 22:03 BST (UK) »
Thank you for the information.  I'll check out the Land Registry.

Pat
Preston, Knockaun Township, Co. Mayo, Ireland; James, Martin, Wareing from Preston, Lancashire, England

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 14 May 12 22:09 BST (UK) »
a sample image from the cancelled Land Books held by the Valuation Office (http://www.valoff.ie/). The books are by Electoral District (DED) and within these have sections for each townland. There are a number of volumes for each DED, each covering about 10 years.

Shane
My Surname Interests

Offline 19cats

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 15 May 12 00:47 BST (UK) »
Great link!  It looks as though maps will be coming online for the area in the future.

Pat