Author Topic: William Callister born c1856  (Read 6428 times)

Offline JJen

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: William Callister born c1856
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 24 March 12 21:00 GMT (UK) »
On the marriage record of Esther to John Teare it states that she was widowed.

Offline JJen

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 24 March 12 21:22 GMT (UK) »
Burial record -

CALLISTER, Thomas,  age 42, Bride, 25 Nov 1862

JJ

Offline debenham

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 24 March 12 22:29 GMT (UK) »
I have found a death for a Thomas Callister 23rd November 1862 which fits in with Esther's 2nd marriage.

I have also found a Thomas Callister christened 18/7/1819, father Thomas Callister, mother Margaret Cleater married 1818 Ballaugh, now looking for siblings.

Offline Frances_mnb

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 25 March 12 09:58 BST (UK) »
I have also found a Thomas Callister christened 18/7/1819, father Thomas Callister, mother Margaret Cleater married 1818 Ballaugh, now looking for siblings.
best of luck - indicated as illeg in reg (bapt Ballaugh 18190718)- do you have a ref for the marriage ? - I suspect you will find it easier to borrow the films of the official transcription of parish regs from your nearest LDS Family History Centre - the IGI does not include the all important sidenotes that will be key once you get pre 1841 - also you should start looking for wills - index and many tanscriptions at www.iomfhs.im (+ about 20,000 summaries on my own site www.manxnotebook.com)
any thing with a Manx Connection

Offline debenham

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 27 March 12 21:29 BST (UK) »
marriage of Thomas Callister to Margaret Cleater 1818 Ballaugh, IGI film number 184605.
christening Thomas Callister 18th July 1819 Ballaugh IGI film number 184672.
How did you establish that the illegitemate records was the correct Thomas Callister

Offline Frances_mnb

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 27 March 12 21:51 BST (UK) »
I don't have a record of the 1818 marriage though my notes indicate I looked at 1818 Ballaugh marriages - might have missed it but have you actually looked at the entry as you don't give a date (eg who were the witnesses) - there are many member submitted entries that I'm afraid are total guesswork.
however I also transcribed 1819 baptisms (from the official copy which is the one on mormon films) and marked against the baptism illeg which is my usuall when the entry was illegitimate child of ... - in my notes it follows the illeg child of Wm Qualtrough + Ann crellin so again possibly a misread by me - I think I was working from microfilm in Manx Museum and don't seem to have a copy of the pages - I'm not on Island at present but can check in couple of weeks - one error I can accept but strange I've made two errors relating to same family.
The Manx knew illegs by father's name so would be known as Thomas Callister (the Mormons just assumed English rules applied and they index under mothers name)
ETA - just realised I have 1819 presentments for fornication (decrees from consistory court - on my CD but in book 2 1819 under Ballaugh is Margt Cleater presented for fornication noted as now removed to Jurby
and in 1820 Court Ramsey 16 Jun 1820 Mary Cleator Ballaugh affiliated on Thos Collister Jurby - woman relapser (ie she had a previous illeg)

Offline debenham

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 28 March 12 08:19 BST (UK) »
Forgive my ignorance  but can you explain the last paragraph regarding Margaret Cleater and the reference to Jurby/affiliated/relapser, the old legal terminology is a bit of a mystery to me at my present stage in geneology.

Offline Frances_mnb

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 28 March 12 08:38 BST (UK) »
suggest a perusal of my website eg www.manxnotebook.com/cd_only/prsnts/index.htm might help - affiliate means she names father as , relapser = 2nd or 3rd time had an illeg child
Jurby is a parish