Author Topic: Thomas Haladay 1863-1928  (Read 4304 times)

Offline amazon510

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Haladay 1863-1928
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 28 March 12 02:41 BST (UK) »
The Newfoundland Provincial Archives has many Royal Newfoundland Regiment attestation papers on line.  There is no Thomas Haladay, but there is an Abel Haliday.  Next of kin is mother Rachel Haliday, elsewhere referred to as Mrs. John Halliday of Brittania Cove, Trinity Bay. 

If the Montreal family are the right ones, then perhaps Abel Halliday of the RNR was Thomas' brother?  Abel is not that common a first name, and Thomas' first son was named John which fits if his father's name was John.

Private Abel Halliday was reporting missing, presumed dead, April 14, 1917.

http://www.therooms.ca/regiment/soldier_files/Haliday_Abel_rnr-2066.pdf

Jennifer.

Offline Jacquie in Canada

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 28 March 12 05:48 BST (UK) »
I found a death for a Reginald David Webb who died at the age of 10 in York, Ontario (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/JKXT-6V8). His parents are listed as Bert Webb and Florence Haladay. Ancestry has the image of the death registration and it indicates that Florence was born in Newfoundland. It also says Reginald was born in Montreal.

I haven't been able to find a marriage for them so I can't say with certainty this is the Florence found on the 1911 census.

Jacquie
Canada: Patterson, Brown, Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Johnston(e), Gorsuch, Kitchin/Kitchen
United States: Patterson, Smith, Brown, Vance, Bower(s), Newberry, Best, Love, Gorsuch
England (Northumberland): Brown, Whitfield, Henderson
Scotland (Glasgow, Edinburgh, Fife, East Lothian): Johnston(e), Bell, Galloway, Campbell, Robertson, Williamson, Thomson, Crawford
Germans from Russia: Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Meach, Lorenz

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 28 March 12 06:31 BST (UK) »
I've also found a birth/baptism for another child: Sarah Florence Webb, born 9 Dec 1922 and baptised 8 Jun 1924 in Montréal (Anglican Saint Edward) to Bert Samuel Webb and Florence Haladay. On the same image is a birth/baptism for Dorothy Ruth Haladay, daughter of William Haladay and Cecilia Borgan. Both families are listed as living at the same address in Montreal.

I also found an entry in the same parish for the birth/baptism of Reginald David Webb. He was born 18 Nov 1924 and baptised 21 Dec 1924.

I also found a birth/baptism for Mary Joyce Webb who was born 5 Mar 1927 and baptised 8 May 1927. Also on the same image was the birth/baptism for William and Cecilia's daughter Clara Grace (born 2 Dec 1925 and baptised 8 May 1927).

The birth/baptism for Clara may have helped find another Haladay... the entry indicates William's full name is William Archibald Haladay. Is it possible the Archibald you mentioned in your opening post is William?

Hallelujah I found the marriage... Samuel Bertie Webb, electrician and Florence Haladay, daughter of Thomas Haladay and Elizabeth Harris were married 22 Apr 1919 in Montréal (Methodist Mountain Street). So this brings up another question... do you have the wrong maiden surname for Thomas' wife in your opening post or was Thomas married more than once or is the family on the 1911 census in Montreal the wrong family.

Jacquie
Canada: Patterson, Brown, Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Johnston(e), Gorsuch, Kitchin/Kitchen
United States: Patterson, Smith, Brown, Vance, Bower(s), Newberry, Best, Love, Gorsuch
Scotland (Glasgow, Edinburgh, Fife, East Lothian): Johnston(e), Bell, Galloway, Campbell, Robertson, Williamson, Thomson, Crawford

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 28 March 12 06:43 BST (UK) »
Private Abel Halliday was reporting missing, presumed dead, April 14, 1917.

According to the Canadian Virtual War Memorial website, the Abel Haliday who died 14 Apr 1917 was the son of John and Rachael Haliday. http://www.veterans.gc.ca/eng/collections/virtualmem/Detail/312702

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 28 March 12 07:22 BST (UK) »
I've found a burial entry in the Drouin Collection in the Montréal (Anglican Saint Edward) parish for Thomas Haladay who died on 31 Jan 1928 which you likely already have. He was said to have been a cooper and 68 years old when he died. One of the witnesses was B. Webb and the address listed was the same as the one used on the birth/baptisms I mentioned earlier so this does seem to be the father of Florence.

Jacquie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 07 April 12 09:54 BST (UK) »
I am asking this question again since you have yet to answer it from one of my previous posts:

In the marriage entry for Florence, her mother's name is listed as Elizabeth Harris. Where did you or your friend get the Carr surname for Elizabeth?

Also:

The Thomas who was in the Royal Newfoundland Regiment was not born in 1866. According to the Newfoundland Great War Heritage Project website, the Thomas Haladay of Britannia Cove who enlisted in 1916 was 21 years old at that time.

On the 1911 census entry posted earlier there is a Stubbert family listed as lodgers. I noticed that Matilda Stubbert was born in Newfoundland and says she immigrated in 1908. Since their children were born in Nova Scotia, I checked Nova Scotia Genealogy website and there is a marriage for George Edward Stubbert to Matilda Halliday on 3 Mar 1908. Matilda is listed as being 16 and the daughter of Thomas and Elizabeth Halliday. Her birth place is listed as Trinity Bay, Newfoundland.

Jacquie

Offline peijim

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 07 April 12 12:25 BST (UK) »
Jacquie
I don't know how I missed these posts ???
I'll pass them along to her and she can sort it out.
Thanks

Jim
Halliday,Day,Ball,Moore,Gray,McKenzie(MacKenzie)

Offline glenhal

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 23 March 16 23:48 GMT (UK) »
I realize this thread is old, but I just stumbled upon it. Thomas Haladay was my Great Grandfather.
If I can fill in any missing info. , i would be more than happy to do so.

Glen Haladay

Offline BC-Country

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 24 March 16 15:37 GMT (UK) »
Good Morning - A friend pointed out your posts - Thomas Haladay - was my Great Grandfather - I am the daughter of William Haladay (William born of William Archibald Haladay - son on Thomas) let me know if I can be of help - re the Haladay and Webb's - our history is somewhat confusing - as two Haladay males and one haladay female married into the Borgan family.