Author Topic: O'Garas from Aghanagh, Ireland who settled in Providence, RI, USA  (Read 1997 times)

Offline apolsky370

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
O'Garas from Aghanagh, Ireland who settled in Providence, RI, USA
« on: Monday 26 March 12 02:46 BST (UK) »
My great-great grandmother was Catherine Harriet O'Gara.  She came over to the USA from Aghanagh, Ireland sometime before 1876.  On 03 Feb 1876 she married Robert Thompson in Providence, RI.  Catherine's marriage and death certificate (died 25 June 1899 in Providence, RI) lists her parents names are Dominic O'Gara and Mary Clarke.

Her brothers and sisters also came over from Aghanagh, Ireland.
Patrick O’Gara born in 1849
Anne O’Gara born about 1856
Edward O’Gara born 1859
Mary O’Gara born about 1860

A brother named John O’Gara (born about 1856) stayed in Aghanagh, Ireland.  He married Mary Cryan and had children there.  I found his family in the 1901 and 1911 census.  Two of his sons, Patrick and James, came to Providence and stayed with their Uncle Edward O’Gara.

I commissioned the County Sligo Heritage and Genealogy Society to do further research on my O'Garas.  They confirmed that Catherine, Patrick, and Edward all had the same parents.  However, they believe that Catherine born in 1846 died because in 1864, Dominic and Mary had another daughter whom they named Catherine.  They did not find any record of Mary or Ann being born to Dominic and Mary.  This really threw me for a loop since all my research in the US suggests that they are all siblings.  Backed up by the sponsors of their children and the witneses at their weddings having last names of O'Gara and Clarke.

I’ve been doing some more research on all the O'Garas in living in Providence to see if any of the other O’Garas are cousins of my O’Garas.

If anyone has any information that they could share with me, I would greatly appreciate it.  I also have a bunch more information than listed above on my O’Garas and the other O’Garas I found living in Providence.

Thank you,
Annette Polsky

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: O'Garas from Aghanagh, Ireland who settled in Providence, RI, USA
« Reply #1 on: Monday 26 March 12 11:43 BST (UK) »
Is this your John O'Gara in Ballinafad townland on the 1901 census ?

O'Gara household, Ballinafad

Have you seen the Griffith's Valuation for the townland ?
There's an Edward Gara at Ballinafad townland, Aghanagh civil parish, listed as leasing a house, offices and land of just over 18 acres from a John Ffolliot. This record is dated 20th April 1858..

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline apolsky370

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 26 March 12 11:56 BST (UK) »
Actually this is the John O'Gara from the 1901 census that's the brother of my great-great grandmother:
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Sligo/Aghanagh/Mountgaffeny/1674401/

And yes, I found Dominic O'Gara in Griffith's Valuation.

Thanks!
Annette

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 26 March 12 12:16 BST (UK) »
Mountgaffeny townland is immediately north of Ballinafad townland -  maybe there's a connection between these two [O']Gara families somewhere along the line ?

Mountgaffeny & Ballinafad townlands   (1st Edition OSI Map)

S.
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests