Author Topic: Dinah or Diana TAPPER  (Read 6458 times)

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Dinah or Diana TAPPER
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 29 March 12 15:34 BST (UK) »
Had also tried earlier to access that "misbehaving" website ... but it's up and running, now.  :D

Assisted Immigration to Canterbury, New Zealand per the vessel "Mermaid" - arrived  (Canterbury) 1 January 1866 :

Charltte (abbrev.) STRATFORD

Aged 20 years  (bc 1846) - Dressmaker - Single

County of Origin :    Not stated

[The year of birth of this Charlotte is consistent with that given for the daughter of Mason Gerard STRATFORD.    The occupation (dressmaker) is also a match for the Florence STRATFORD living at Greymouth.   ]   ???

Online jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 29 March 12 17:55 BST (UK) »
http://www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk/
From here I think the two girls who arrived in 1851 are:
"Lady Georgina and Lady Olivia Stratford"
(don't know what happened to Georgina but maybe Olivia was the one in London who Florence went to see after her daughter's birth?)

One of their brothers who was involved in that trouble in 1852, Charles Alexander Stratford appears to have moved to Australia (arriving on the Sea Nymph in 1853), and died in Victoria in 1892.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 30 March 12 00:47 BST (UK) »
Mom and daughters : 

Chertsey - Surrey
58 London Street

GERRARD

- Mary GERRARD - Head - Widow - 50 - b. Gloucester, Dursley

- Charlotte GERRARD - 19 ?* - unmarr. b. Italy, British Subject
- Mary GERRARD - 16 - unmarr. - B. Italy           "               "
- Georgina GERRARD - 28 - unmarr. - Governess - b. Germany

[* Age has been struck through on image, hard to read... maybe age is 17 ?   bc  1844 ?]

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 30 March 12 00:58 BST (UK) »
Georgina GERRARD

1871 - Middlesex, Heston, Spring Grove
- unmarr. - aged 36 - b. "Aix la Chappelle, PreuBen ?" (?1881 image gives this place as "Prussia" )
- British subject - Occupation - Head of School

1881 - Georgina GERRARD - 47 - at Kent, Tonbridge, 14 Garden Road - Annuitant
[ Christine NELSON - 67 - servant & Caroline NELSON - 9 - visitor, at same address. ]

------------------------------------------

DEATHS - SEPT - 1904

GERRARD - Georgina Stratford

Reg'd at Chertsey

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 30 March 12 01:06 BST (UK) »
Not finding anything for Charlotte (Florence) in UK records.   :

Seem to recall reading somewhere ?? ... that mother (Mary, nee ARUNDEL) had died in Italy.   ???

*  If Charlotte was visiting her mother, had she gone to Italy to see her, rather than to the UK ?

*  Is Charlotte's death maybe recorded in Italy  ... and under the name of GERRARD / GERARD.   ???

~  Lu

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 30 March 12 02:41 BST (UK) »
England/Wales - National Probate Calendar :

GERRARD - Georgina Stratford of Harrishaw's-farm, Bagshot, Surrey - spinster - died 12 August 1904 :  Probate LONDON 14 September (1904)   Esther HOLMES (w/o James HOLMES)
Effects:  L (pounds) 136-8-2d :

[Will could mention family members ?]

DEATH - July 1904 - Chertsey, Surrey
Georgina Stratford GERRARD - bc 1833

Offline HBelle

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 30 March 12 04:16 BST (UK) »
Many thanks to jorose and Lucy2 for all the interesting snippets of research, adding to what others have contributed as well.
About 10 years ago, I corresponded with a man in Sydney who is descended from Lady Charlotte Stratford.  (I haven't been able to make contact with him recently) She was his g.g. grandmother.   From Lady Charlotte, to her daughter Florence May Georgina Stilling/ marr. Kilmister, to their daughter Dorothy Olivia Stratford Kilmister. .
He said Charlotte  was born in Leghorn Italy c 1845.  He placed her death at c1875 London?  (note the ?)
The information that jorose sent was interesting, regarding a problem that caused the children to scatter.   Victorian shipping index lists:
Henry Stratford, age 18 and Edward Stratford age 21, per "Rip Van Winkle", arr. Nov 1852, Port B.
Also: Peter Stratford age 19, & Henry Stratford age18, per "Sea Nymph" Port B

Interesting that second wife Diane Tapper was a miliner and third "wife" Charlotte Stratford was a dressmaker.  Since Thomas Stilling was a draper,
maybe they supplied goods to his shop(s) and that is how he met them.
HBelle

Offline PatLac

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 21 March 24 18:41 GMT (UK) »
I'm researching the Australian Police case 'The Somerton Man', aka Carl 'Charles' Webb, and I came across your posts when searching for Mason Gerard Stratford's offspring.

The Somerton Man's wife, Dorothy Jean Robertson (b. 1920), was the daughter of Alice Stratford (c.1896-1980) and John Comber Robertson (1894-1989).

Alice was the daughter (or granddaughter, her birth record is missing) of Charles Alexander Stratford, Mason Gerard's son.

Charles Alexander arrived in Australia in the Sea Ranger in November 1853, one year after his brothers, Edward and Henry (aboard the Rip Van Winkle, 1852).

He and brother Henry Mason had a hotel and store in Avon Plains, west of St. Arnaud, Victoria between c. 1870-1892 (when he deid), where his chidren with  wife Wilhelmina Louisa (sometimes called Louisa Wilhelmina) Reither (many typos) were born.

I don't know what happened to Charles and Henry Stratford between 1853 and 1870, apart from a post on RootsWeb (now defunct) by member Helen stating that they carried goods to gold miners in the Castlemaine area.

to be continued...

Offline PatLac

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 21 March 24 18:42 GMT (UK) »
cont.

The historical narrative states that the eldest son of the 5th Earl of Alborough Mason Gerard Stratford with second (or third) wife Mary Arundell was called Henry, and that he called himself 'Lord of Aldborough'.

Evidence gathered from Trove (Australian newspapers) shows that Edward Stratford, who arrived in Australia in the Rip Van Winkle with brother Henry in 1852, was actually called Henry Edward Stratford. As his other brother was Henry Mason, he was probably known as Edward.

British newspapers from the 1851-52 period state that the 3 Stratford brothers, Henry (23), Charles (21), and Edward (19), had been sentenced to death or prison, but then had their sentenced changed to exile and they were sent off to Australia. The ages don't match, except for Charles, probably born in 1830.

The daughter of the British Vice Consul at Leghorn, Italy, Mary Thompson has a recollection of the Stratfords.

"Now I must speak of Lord Aldborough and his family [Mason Gerard Stratford 1784-1849, buried in the New English Cemetery of Livorno, NdR]. He must have been, to say the least of it, a very peculiar man, who lived in a large house in Leghorn in the Via dei Condotti [nowadays Via de' Larderel], on the opposite side to where the Macbeans lived. Mr Alexander Macbean was Papa’s chief at the Consulate. He was the Consul, and Papa the Vice Consul. Well Lord Aldborough had a very large family, there were three grown-up sons and one quite a lad, and two grown-up daughters, and one about 13 or 14 I fancy and a little one. During their Father’s lifetime there were some dreadful quarrels among the young men, and one of them shot at another. Papa was sent for, to call them to order. It seemed strange at the time to me, why the parents could not manage to quiet their own sons without having a comparative stranger sent for. Anyway I believe Papa succeeded. Some time after Lord Aldborough died [Oct. 15th, 1849, NdR], and it was found out that the so-called Lady Aldborough [Mary Arundell, NdR] was not entitled to the name. There had been three wives, and the first one, the real Lady Aldborough was alive [Teresa Davenport, NdR], and all these young people were illegitimate. Lord Aldborough had had a great objection to having his children educated. One daughter Charlotte was for some time at the same school as Helen and myself, but sent by the mother without Lord Aldborough’s consent or knowledge. After his death all the daughters and some of the sons used to join a Sunday class held by Mr. Sleeman, the Clergyman, in the Church. Then the tree eldest sons got into great scraps by joining some Italian secret revolutionary society. They were seized and thrown into a fearful dungeon, in a fortress at the entrance to the Leghorn inner mole. Helen may remember that fortress, as she has been in Leghorn since my time, and I still remember it.
Then there was the great correspondence between the British and Italian Governments, the British trying to get these three young men out of Italy. Papa, of course, had a great deal to do with it, and at last he got them out, only to ship them off to Australia. I do not know if they ever saw their mother or their sisters. Evidently, they educated themselves, as, many years afterwards I met one of them as Warden or Chief Magistrate of some of the New Zealand Goldfields. Of course they were all badly off, for all that their Father left went to the first wife and family. The so-called Lady Aldborough came to live in the same house that we did for some time, then went to England. She gave us 6 beautiful French cups and saucers; my cup got broken, but I have kept the pieces. I afterwards had it mended and put together."