Author Topic: Dinah or Diana TAPPER  (Read 6454 times)

Offline PatLac

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Dinah or Diana TAPPER
« Reply #27 on: Thursday 21 March 24 18:43 GMT (UK) »
cont.

The passenger lists available on PROV (Victoria Public Records), have two different records, one shows passengers Henry (21) and Edward (18) Stratford arriving in the Rip Van Winkle in Nov. 1852, and the other shows Edward (21) and Henry (18) Stratford bound to Port Philip and Liverpool, NSW, aboard the Rip Van Winkle, leaving Liverpool, England, in July 1852.

A notice published in The Argus (Melbourne), Sat 3 June 1854, page 2, Advertising,  corroborates my suspicion that Charles' older brother was Henry Edward Stratford.

"CHARLES A. STRATFORD, who arrived last November in the Sea Ranger, is requested to send his name in full, and address to H. E. S., office of this paper."

Mary Thompson thought she met Henry Stratford in New Zealand 'as Warden or Chief Magistrate of some of the New Zealand Goldfields', but I think he was another Henry, called Henry Aldborough Stratford, according to this newspaper notices.

“POVERTY BAY HERALD, VOLUME XXVIII, ISSUE 9261, 26 SEPTEMBER 1901 Mr H. A. Stratford, S.M., of Dunedin, gazettes a change of his name in the following terms : —”I, Henry Aldborough Stratford, of Dunedin, in the colony of New Zealand, barrister-at-law, do hereby give notice that, in compliance with the request of the Honorable Lady Henniker, and out of love and affection, I have assumed, and intend henceforth upon all occasions and at all times to sign and use and to be called and known by, the name of Augustus with and before Henry Aldborough, and the surname of His Excellency the Right Honorable Lori Hartismere — Stratford-Henniker — in lieu of and in substitution of my present surnames of Stratford.

https//paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/newspapers/PBH19010926.2.35?query=stratford-henniker&sort_by=byDA&items_per_page=10&snippet=true

Australian Town and Country Journal (Sydney, NSW : 1870 – 1919)
Sat 1 Apr 1882
Page 23
NEW ZEALAND.

DISSATISFACTION AT KUMARA.—A large number
of miners assembled by announcement at Dilman’s
Town on March 3, and hold an indignation meeting
to protest against the vexatious delay occurring by
tho present conduct of business of the warden’s
court ; also to take into consideration the advisa
bility of forming a Board for Kumara. The follow
ing resolutions were passed almost unanimously :
” That in the opinion of this meeting the indifferent
mode of administering mining law and the conduct of
mining business by the warden, Mr. H. A. Stratford,
at Kumara, (...).

MY QUESTION: Do you know how Henry Aldborough Stratford (NZ) and Henry Edward Stratford (NSW) are related?

Offline PatLac

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Thursday 21 March 24 20:01 GMT (UK) »
I've just read a post by Chuck on another thread that Charlotte Florence Stratford went to NZ after her father died and she was living with Henry Aldborough Stratford-Henniker, a nephew of Lord Henniker.

So maybe he was her 'cousin' who looked after her daughter May Georgina Florence when she went to England to visit her mother and eventually died?

Offline PatLac

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Thursday 21 March 24 20:59 GMT (UK) »
MARRIAGE.
Mataura Ensign, Issue 1000, 4 February 1902, Page 2

'A. H. A. Stratford-Henniker, nephew of the Right Hon. Hartismere Straford, Slaney, Co. Wicklow (Lord-in-Waiting) to Margaretta Eliza, daughter of Edmund Wickes, Esq. Westland.'

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Thursday 21 March 24 22:44 GMT (UK) »
Obituary --    Mr. A.H.A. STRATFORD-HENNIKER

https://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/newspapers/OAM19061201.2.14

~  Lu

Offline PatLac

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Thursday 21 March 24 23:16 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, Lu.

Augustus Henry Aldborough Stratford-Henniker's grandfather, Brydges Trecothic Henniker, was the brother-in-law of Edward Augustus Stratford, the 2nd Earl of Aldoborough, married to Brydges' sister Annie Elizabeth Henniker.

Edward Augustus Stratford, 2nd Earl of Aldborough was the brother of Benjamin O'Neale, 4th Earl of Aldborough, who was the father of Mason Gerard, 5th Earl of Aldborough, and grandfather of his children, Henry Edward (hopefully), Charles Alexander, Henry Mason, Byron, Charlotte, Anne, Jane, Georgina, Olivia, Mary and Thomas (according to a Geni tree admin by Peter Davidson, no sources).

So, was Henry Aldborough Stratford-Henniker a third cousin of Charlotte?  ???

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Thursday 21 March 24 23:22 GMT (UK) »
Hello PatLac ... welcome to RootsChat.   :)

I received an alert that a further posting had been made to this thread, but I'm afraid I'm a little bit lost as to what it is you are wanting to know ... (other than the one question you've posed at Reply #  )

It appears that the person who started this thread > HBelle > has not been active in this forum since 2017, so possibly you may not receive a reply ? 

Happy to endeavour to help you if you have further questions.   ;)

~  Lu

Ooops   ... just noticed your incoming post   ;D  ... but will hit the Send button regardless.

Offline PatLac

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Thursday 21 March 24 23:27 GMT (UK) »
Lu,

I was hoping that someone would come up with new information on Henry Edward Stratford, as he is probably one of the brothers of Charlotte Florence Stratford who has been mentioned in this thread.

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Thursday 21 March 24 23:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi again

https://ndhadeliver.natlib.govt.nz/delivery/DeliveryManagerServlet?dps_pid=IE74184762

^     This is the link to the Probate File for A.H.A. STRATFORD-HENNIKER.     He died in France.

It contains  a copy of his death certificate > partially written in French > but gives the names (in English) of his parents (from what I can make out ... I've only quickly browsed the document).

~  Lu

Offline PatLac

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Thursday 21 March 24 23:35 GMT (UK) »
Lu, thanks so much for the link!

Maybe I should start a new thread asking for information on Henry Edward Stratford? He was quite known in New South Wales (lots of notices on Trove), but there are many inconsistencies regarding his age and nothing about his parents.