Author Topic: Robert Weir Sarah Weir/Lamont 1901 to1911  (Read 2327 times)

Offline bisjam

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Robert Weir Sarah Weir/Lamont 1901 to1911
« on: Tuesday 27 March 12 20:16 BST (UK) »
I am looking for te records of Robert Weir and Sarah Weir. They emmigrated to Canada sometime between 1901 and 1911. Sarah LAmont as he was is on the 1901 Ireland census living at home still but there is no sign of her on the 1911 census. Sarah was one of 12 children and I have all their marriage records bar hers. I am not sure if she was married before or after she left for Canada. I would be greatful for  any passenger records or residence records Sarah was originally from Portglenone in Co.Antrim. I assume Robert was from the same area Thanks

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
Re: Robert Weir Sarah Weir/Lamont 1901 to1911
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 27 March 12 20:29 BST (UK) »
HI Bisjam,

Have you any dates of birth for Robert and Sarah ?

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline bisjam

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 27 March 12 20:48 BST (UK) »
Sarah was born 7th March 1880 thanks

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 28 March 12 00:34 BST (UK) »
Her parents are James Lamont & Sarah Scott ...from the Ireland posting where bisjam thinks, not knows, they came to Canada...Also, her full name is Sarah Ann http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=ejvvdtfecc9fhp3qb6ro1r9va1&topic=587842.new

adding a Sarah Weir of correct age with son John age 4 travelling to husband in Winnipeg -Aug. 14 1910 on the Lake Manitoba from Ireland
http://data2.collectionscanada.gc.ca/e/e143/e003565061.jpg

Nevermind husband was James http://data2.collectionscanada.gc.ca/e/e143/e003565061.jpg
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 28 March 12 01:06 BST (UK) »
Have you checked Scotland for a marriage?
In 1903 a Sarah Lamont married Alexander Weir - no other details without buying the image.
Are you sure of a first name for Mr. Weir?

Debbie

Offline JackieNI

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 26 October 21 16:25 BST (UK) »
Hello, I know this is a long time after your original post, but I may be able to help you with some information on this.  Let me know if this is still something you are looking for.
Jackie

Offline bisjam

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 26 October 21 17:00 BST (UK) »
Hello, I know this is a long time after your original post, but I may be able to help you with some information on this.  Let me know if this is still something you are looking for.
Jackie
yes very much so thanks

Offline JackieNI

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 27 October 21 10:39 BST (UK) »
Hi, after reading this post, I saw another on the same topic, so it may be that I can't add as much new information as I imagined.  This Robert Weir is, I believe, my great great uncle - he was a brother to my great grandmother.  The information I have found so far (and believe to be reasonably accurate) is:  Robert Weir has given his own date of birth as 26th October 1883 - this seems likely.  I can't find a birth record for Robert or his siblings for some reason.  His sisters were Martha Weir (my great grandmother) and Isabella Weir.  In the 1901 census I have found a record of Robert and Isabella working as servants in a house in Donegore, Antrim - Robert's age is given in this census as 20.  In 1902 Robert was one of the witnesses at Isabella's marriage in Donegore.  It looks like Robert emigrated around 1906 to Pittsburgh.  I am pretty sure this is him as I have linked his address in Pittsburgh to one of Isabella's daughters who emigrated and gave Robert Weir (uncle) as they person they were initially travelling to.  He married a Sarah Ann Lamont - also from NI.  I'm not sure when they married, but Ancestry has thrown up a newspaper article (which I can't read as don't a subscription) of a marriage of a Robert Weir and Sarah Ann which is giving the year as 1911.  So, I don't believe they travelled out together, I think they may have met out in the US.  In the 1910 US census I think I have found him as a boarder in a house in Pittsburgh (aged 27).  Assuming Robert has the same father and mother as his siblings, his father was Samuel Weir and his mother was Mary Ann (but don't know her maiden name).  I hope this helps.  Let me know if I can be of further help.

Offline JackieNI

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 27 October 21 10:47 BST (UK) »
I have had a look for Sarah Ann Lamont and there is an emigration record of someone of that name travelling out to Pittsburgh (aged 21) in 1901.  The person they were travelling to looks like aunt Mrs McNeilly (or similar).  This could well be her.  Occupation given as servant.  Travelling on the ship 'Oceanic'  sailing from Liverpool in August 1901.