Author Topic: Thornhill Family Of Cork  (Read 20298 times)

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
Re: Thornhill Family Of Cork
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 09 October 19 21:28 BST (UK) »
You do not need to exchange email if you do not wish too, there is always the option to send a PM which new members can access after a couple of posts.

Welcome to RootsChat Carey :)

Regards

Sarah

For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Loriwin

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 05 July 22 18:56 BST (UK) »
Hello everyone,
I've been stuck on my husband's Thornhill family for a long time, and hopefully, I can get some help through this chat.  Here is my line:
Gen. 1 George Thornhill b. 10 May 1800 Cork Co., Ireland, d. 20 Jan 1870 in Bridgewater, Somerset, New Jersey, USA. m. Mary Bailey b. 6 June 1796 Ireland d. 20 Dec. 1866 Bridgewater, Somerset, New Jersey. Son: George Thornhill, b. 13 Aug 1815 Cork Co. Ireland
Gen. 2 George Thornhill, b. 13 Aug 1815 Cork Co. Ireland d. 15 Dec. 1881 Bridgewater, Somerset, NJ, m. Mary (Anastasia) b. 1824 Ireland, d. NJ.
Children: Fanny 1844-1877, Edward 1846-1866, Anna 1949, Jane 1854-1932, , argaret 1857-1880
George 1857-1929
I do have a lot of birth date discrepancies with the 1st George Thornhill and wives (the Mary's) can be confusing.  I'm also trying to figure out how they all fit in with the rest of the Cork Co. Thornhill's.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks, 
Lori Thornhill

Offline shanreagh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 05 July 22 22:32 BST (UK) »
Hello everyone,
I've been stuck on my husband's Thornhill family for a long time, and hopefully, I can get some help through this chat.  Here is my line:
Gen. 1 George Thornhill b. 10 May 1800 Cork Co., Ireland, d. 20 Jan 1870 in Bridgewater, Somerset, New Jersey, USA. m. Mary Bailey b. 6 June 1796 Ireland d. 20 Dec. 1866 Bridgewater, Somerset, New Jersey. Son: George Thornhill, b. 13 Aug 1815 Cork Co. Ireland
Gen. 2 George Thornhill, b. 13 Aug 1815 Cork Co. Ireland d. 15 Dec. 1881 Bridgewater, Somerset, NJ, m. Mary (Anastasia) b. 1824 Ireland, d. NJ.
Children: Fanny 1844-1877, Edward 1846-1866, Anna 1949, Jane 1854-1932, , argaret 1857-1880
George 1857-1929
I do have a lot of birth date discrepancies with the 1st George Thornhill and wives (the Mary's) can be confusing.  I'm also trying to figure out how they all fit in with the rest of the Cork Co. Thornhill's.
Thanks, 
Lori Thornhill

1)Have you found the marriage of George Thornhill who married Mary Bailey.  The dates you have show him as having a child at the age of 15.  While of course this is physically possible...Are the dates correct?
2) have you found the family coming to the US and later US Census information? 

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 06 July 22 07:10 BST (UK) »

Welcome to RootsChat  :)

I'm also trying to figure out how they all fit in with the rest of the Cork Co. Thornhill's.

Thornhill

Large BMD majorities in registration districts of Cork, Mallow, Fermoy, Mitchelstown and Skibbereen.

https://www.rootschat.com/links/01roa/

https://www.johngrenham.com/findasurname.php?surname=Thornhill

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline Loriwin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 08 July 22 20:09 BST (UK) »
Thank you everyone one for the help.
 To answer Shanreagh's questions, I've never been sure about George Thornhill's birthdate.  the U.S. Census has him being born in 1795 and then 1800 and then 1810.  So it's all over the place.  1795 makes more sense.  The family immigrated during the potato Famine in 1848 to New Jersey.  I have a lot of information on them in the U.S., just not in Ireland.
Thank you to Kiltaglassan for the suggested websites, I'm delving into the sites now.

Any other advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Offline Burke Thornhill

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 17 March 24 08:19 GMT (UK) »
Hello Thornhill Family of Cork
I am wondering whether you have any record for Mary Anne Thornhill 1794-1877. I know she is buried at Aghern in East Cork as I have seen her gravestone, erected by son Thomas who kept the family farm nearby. She married Richard Burke, also buried there (as is Thomas). I don't know when they married, or where. I know their children. Francis, one of the younger sons is my twice great grandfather. However I have no knowledge of Mary Anne and her Thornhill origins.