Author Topic: THURSTON baptism, Sutton, Isle of Ely  (Read 5419 times)

Offline aakarlhamo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: THURSTON baptism, Sutton, Isle of Ely
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 29 March 12 09:53 BST (UK) »
Hi Selina

Wow that is great and like you say it looks like the clue is in the names.   Anne Maria Bush is the name on her death certificate so I wonder if the witness Anna Maria Bush was the mother and she never married the father who might even be Thomas Thurston? Logically it can't be a sister because she couldn't have the same name?

Did the marriage record give the father's name and profession or was it just the witnesses' names?

Hmmmmmm, food for thought ???

Thank you
Carole  ;D
SUSSEX: GANDER, HARMES, BURTENSHAW, HEASMAN, CHATFIELD
CAMBS :  SERJEANT, THURSTON, BUSH, SMART, BOLTON, MATTHEWS, REEDER, RAINER, PATMAN BECHINO, ALIAS GOOCH/CURTIS, WALLIS
KINGS LYNN: ASSELL, THURSTON
SUFFOLK: HENLEY , DARE
KENT: ASH, STICKLES
LONDON/MIDDX: HARMES, PIERPOINT, ASSELL, COWLAND, SMART, STRONG,
ESSEX: PIERPOINT, COWLAND,  OLLEY, ALIAS HICKS/KING
AUSTRALIA: ALIAS HICKS KING
CANADA: AYERS

Offline Selina

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 29 March 12 10:08 BST (UK) »
Hi Carole,

Unfortunately you don't get fathers' names before 1837, only extra info on marriage 1829 March 29 is that John was a bac of Harlton and Maria sp otp and it was by licence.

To add a further complication!!  There was a marriage  at St. Benedict's 19 July 1819 between 
Robert Alexander Clark Gooch CURTIS and Ann Maria Bush THURSTON sp by lic. Wits John BAILEY, Elizabeth BUSH, M. JOHNSON

Housework calls!

Regards,
Selina
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline aakarlhamo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 29 March 12 14:46 BST (UK) »
Hi Selina

Well, I have been trying the back door, windows and chimney to try and get to the bottom of these marriages.  It rang bells and I remembered that I have been down this road in the past with her and Robert.

Anyway, thought I would let you know of the curved ball with the Pallot's marriage for Anna Maria Bush Thurston and Robert Alexander Clark Gooch Curtis.  He is alias Clark GOOCH!

There is something dodgy going on here so I wonder if she never divorced and that is why she went  by the name Maria?  I suppose I will never find out for sure but do you know where I look for divorces as I have never found them on Ancestry.

Hope you had fun with the dust bunnies!

Regards
Carole

SUSSEX: GANDER, HARMES, BURTENSHAW, HEASMAN, CHATFIELD
CAMBS :  SERJEANT, THURSTON, BUSH, SMART, BOLTON, MATTHEWS, REEDER, RAINER, PATMAN BECHINO, ALIAS GOOCH/CURTIS, WALLIS
KINGS LYNN: ASSELL, THURSTON
SUFFOLK: HENLEY , DARE
KENT: ASH, STICKLES
LONDON/MIDDX: HARMES, PIERPOINT, ASSELL, COWLAND, SMART, STRONG,
ESSEX: PIERPOINT, COWLAND,  OLLEY, ALIAS HICKS/KING
AUSTRALIA: ALIAS HICKS KING
CANADA: AYERS

Offline anneb

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 29 March 12 15:22 BST (UK) »
Divorce would have been really rare in those days-I think you had to get an Act of Parliament so it was beyond most people.