Author Topic: help with linking me to a 1000 year old Cardigan lineage!!!  (Read 21446 times)

Offline meaty

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: help with linking me to a 1000 year old Cardigan lineage!!!
« Reply #36 on: Tuesday 24 September 13 20:43 BST (UK) »
Hi thanks for your reply.

Re:Thomas Jones born Jan period 1813, son of Joshua and Elizabeth – This really confused me last year as I thought it was MY Thomas Jones!  He was born and died the same year as my Thomas, and lived and died in Llandissiliogogo. As part of the research, I located this mans grave in Llandissiliogogo church yard. It quickly became apparent that this was not my Thomas Jones as was written on his grave that he was Capt. Thomas Jones, of Penllwyn. He is buried right next to his parents Joshua Jones 1777 – 1825 and Elizabeth (covered in moss so I couldn’t read it). It is quite something that they had the same name, and were born and died the same years.

Joshua and Elizabeths grave records them as of Penllwyndu. Their home, Penllwyndu, is a listed building just up the road from Llandissiliogogo church.

DSM/DJM house in Llangoedmor was also called Penllwyndu. A pub now sits on the spot, and still retains the name.

So, two homes of the same name. It would be interesting if there was any link found that way!

Right, I’m off to join up to FindMyPast. Will be back…

Thanks

Offline meaty

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Tuesday 24 September 13 21:53 BST (UK) »
Right well I have located my ggg grandmothers christening that you mentioned earlier-on. It was the only result: Llangynllo, 1818, Sarah, daughter of Elizabeth and James James, Nantypopty, farmer. Ceremony performed by John Jones.

I tried baptism for Thomas Jones 1813 Cardiganshire but there are no results for Llangynllo or Troedyraur. The nearest in distance is a record from Llanfairorllwyn, which is about 2 miles away from Llangynllo.

I tried for the marriage of John Jones, but it does not let you refine you search to include the spouses name too, so it throws too many results to just click away on.

Clicking the first record above used 20 credits, which means 1/3 of my £6.95 for 60 credits is now gone! So I can only click 2 more items, looks to be very expensive way of going about family history.

I will visit Llangynllo and look for the graves of John/Sarah and James/Elizabeth. That way I will be able to hopefully read when they died and when they were born.

Offline meaty

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Tuesday 24 September 13 22:13 BST (UK) »
I have also found the record for James James, of Llangynllo parish marriage to Elizabeth Jones 1813 of, and at Llandyfriog, just as you suggested.

I have 10 credits left. Its worth the £7 to find original scans of those documents though.

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Tuesday 24 September 13 22:26 BST (UK) »
I think part of the problem may lie in the likelihood that Thomas' family as evidenced by the baptism of Hannah of CefnCoed(1841 census) is non-conformist.
Records can be found variously at FamilySearch,Ancestry and BMDRegisters, but they get increasingly rare through the early nineteenth century,and are very rare before 1800 as far as I understand it.
Again.I will see what I can find-probably tomorrow now.

Regards
Roger

Offline meaty

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Tuesday 24 September 13 23:48 BST (UK) »
Hi and thanks so much for your continued efforts.

I have looked and Ceredigion Archives list they hold the records for nonconformists :

Trewen, Brongwyn, Ind                                    3053
Hawen, Troedyraur, Ind     1814 - 1837       see also
Gynarthen, Penbryn, Ind                                   3803

and

Twrgwyn, Troedyraur, CM     1808 -1837    3811

so I will try to find time to visit the archives and take a look. I think you are right, these records seem to only go back to early 1800's.

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Wednesday 25 September 13 00:08 BST (UK) »
If you haven't already,perhaps you could contact the Cardiganshire Family History Society for further advice on records available.

Regards
Roger

Offline meaty

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Wednesday 25 September 13 00:12 BST (UK) »
Yes I will do. Thanks. I used to be a member but not any more.

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Wednesday 25 September 13 01:07 BST (UK) »
Is Jenkin Morgan a common name?  Is this the first wife?

Mary, wife of Jenkin Morgan, Sexton of this church; died 1786, aged 54.

http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=48176

There are others with the surname Morgan on this history site too - but unfortunately not an actual "Jenkin Morgan".
I suppose you've seen this history article too?

http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=48140
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline meaty

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Wednesday 25 September 13 13:19 BST (UK) »
Hi and thanks for your reply.

Jenkin morgan would not be a common name today, but it could very well be in the 17/18c just as Welsh patronymics were giving way to the naming system we currently use.

The links you gave are regarding Cardiff and South Wales? Everything to do with this family in this post so far is regarding Cardiganshire, which lies to the west of Wales?