Author Topic: help with linking me to a 1000 year old Cardigan lineage!!!  (Read 21436 times)

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: help with linking me to a 1000 year old Cardigan lineage!!!
« Reply #45 on: Wednesday 25 September 13 17:17 BST (UK) »
I'm not sure it helps very much,but there is a will of 1807 for a Thomas John of Lochtyn who looks like he might be the husband of Elinor Jones of the 1813 will.He mentions his wife Eleanor(sic) and all the same children(Sarah,Margaret,David) but,strangely,not John.
As far as I can tell he was Mayor in 1794,and may have had some involvement in Penbryn Chapel(money left to him in a will for the chapel).
The daughter Margaret is named in Elinor's wil as the wife of a James Timothy and her burial record suggests a birth of 1774 as a marker for the other children.There is a Sarah Jones,given born 1781("rounded") at Lochtyn in the 1841 census.
I haven't managed to trace David or,importantly,John yet,nor the marriage of the parents

Regards
Roger

Online meaty

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Monday 30 September 13 21:20 BST (UK) »
Right well today after work I called in to Llangynllo church and right in front of the front door to the church is the grave of James James Pen'rallt Nantypobty d 25.3.1825 at 40 years old. So birth date of 1785, presumably in Llangynllo or surrounding area.

Elizabeth died 31.1.1865 aged 82. So birth date of 1783.

Couldn't locate John and Sarah Jones, so might have to try any chapels that are to be found nearby.

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Monday 30 September 13 21:58 BST (UK) »
Elizabeth's record(1865) gives her as of Cwmbach Llangunllo at the time.
Previous census refs
1861 4185  84   16   Cwmbach with daughter Rachel and granddaughter Anne Harries
1851 2482  533  16   Cwmbach ,with daughters Mary,Rachel and granddaughter Ann Harris(sic)
1841 1377  17/4 3  Llanfair Trefligen with daughters Mary and Rachel and James James(1838)

The granddaughter belongs to the remaining daughter Elinor and Benjamin Harries,married LLangunllo 1841-one of the witnesses was a Thomas Jones.

Regards
Roger

Online meaty

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Monday 30 September 13 22:14 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your reply. I see, so after the death of James it appears that the family have moved to Cwmbach. I will now update my records, thank you very much for that!

Another member on here has kindly searched for baptism of Thomas Jones 1813 and has not been able to locate it either.

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Monday 30 September 13 22:35 BST (UK) »
Perhaps it's worth looking for a Thomas John-I get the impression(no more)that patronymics may still be playing a part at this time.

Regards
Roger

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Monday 30 September 13 23:31 BST (UK) »
Given that John Jones(Cefencoed,1841,1851) is given born Penbryn in the 1851 census-there is a John Jones burial 1854,Independent,Glynarthen,Penbryn(as per Hannah's baptism).Unfortunately I can't find an equivalent for Sarah,so perhaps this is just another name/place coincidence.

Regards
Roger

Online meaty

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Tuesday 01 October 13 13:27 BST (UK) »
Wow, John Jones Cefncoed was born in Penbryn parish? this sounds like it could be a possible lead? I will locate his grave after work one evening!

I wonder if he was a descendant of the Morgans of Llanborth, and that is how my Thomas Jones claimed the relationship to DSM/DJM

Thanks again!

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Tuesday 01 October 13 13:49 BST (UK) »
I didn't realise you hadn't seen the census data.It is only a single reference,.but better than nothing.In the same census Sarah is given as born Bettws Evan(Bettws Ifan).

Regards
Roger

Online meaty

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Tuesday 01 October 13 21:53 BST (UK) »
I have the 1841, but I do not have the 1851. FindMyPast doesnt seem to have the 1851 either, typically! I'm still trying to find it right now...

FindMyPast census search only lets you see the county and reg district when it displays search results so all you can do is click away, which means much credit is needed?

Think I much prefer ancestry, it's a shame they don't have the parish registers.