Author Topic: Vaughans Of Flintshire  (Read 2807 times)

Offline rcuser

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • "The truth is out there",Special Agent Fox Mulder
    • View Profile
Vaughans Of Flintshire
« on: Tuesday 17 May 05 11:07 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I've been trying to find my grandmother's ancestors but with little success.

She was Edith Vaughan born February 17th 1889 either in Holyhead or Liverpool. She always said it was Holyhead but the 1901 Cenus says it was Liverpool.

Her father, Peter Phillips Vaughan was born in 1851 in Cwm, Flintshire. Peter also had a brother Abel born in 1840 and a sister Mary born in 1854 also born in Cwm. Unfortunately, the Flint and Denbigh offices which cover St Asaph registration district cannot find them.

As I am now stuck I am appealing to any Vaughan researcher, who is researching Vaughans in Flintshire to contact me as I have now decided to set up a database for Vaughans  in that county in the perhaps vain hope that I might find my own lineage.

Any information or contact greatly appreciated. TIA.

best wishes

rcuser
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Researching Rossiter, Finn, Wright, Vaughan, Bloor, Acton, Clay, Moorhouse, Foxall, Hart, Knott and many other families

Offline Paul

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Vaughans Of Flintshire
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 17 May 05 15:38 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I've been trying to find my grandmother's ancestors but with little success.

She was Edith Vaughan born February 17th 1889 either in Holyhead or Liverpool. She always said it was Holyhead but the 1901 Cenus says it was Liverpool.

Her father, Peter Phillips Vaughan was born in 1851 in Cwm, Flintshire. Peter also had a brother Abel born in 1840 and a sister Mary born in 1854 also born in Cwm. Unfortunately, the Flint and Denbigh offices which cover St Asaph registration district cannot find them.

As I am now stuck I am appealing to any Vaughan researcher, who is researching Vaughans in Flintshire to contact me as I have now decided to set up a database for Vaughans  in that county in the perhaps vain hope that I might find my own lineage.

Any information or contact greatly appreciated. TIA.

best wishes

rcuser

Hi rcuser,
Peter Married Elizabeth in West Derby, his Children Julia A, William A, & Peter H are all born in Liverpool. March Q 1889 an Edith Vaughan is born in Toxteth Park, might be worth sending for the Cetificate.
Do you have Peter's Marriage Certificate?

Paul.

Offline rcuser

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 17 May 05 16:44 BST (UK) »
Hi Paul,

Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately, I haven't any certificates and neither does my aunt who is Edith's last remaining child.

I know that Peter married Elizabeth but do not have her full name. As far as I know they were married at St Peter's, Liverpool in 1873.

My main source of information is the Latter Day Saints site and the various forums to which I subscribe.

If Edith's birthplace is definitely confirmed as Liverpool, maybe it would be worth sending off for her birth certificate.

Many thanks for your help.

Best wishes

rcuser

Researching Rossiter, Finn, Wright, Vaughan, Bloor, Acton, Clay, Moorhouse, Foxall, Hart, Knott and many other families

Offline Paul

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 18 May 05 15:22 BST (UK) »
Hi rcuser,
Have you seen Peter and Abel with Familys on the 1881 Census?
Peter's Mother in law Elizabeth Burnell a Widow is living with them so Peter's Wife must have been Elizabeth Burnell.
Maech Q 1873 West Derby 8b 677. Peter Pillips Vaughan Married Elizabeth Burnell.
Peters Marriage Certificate would give you his Fathers Name.

Abel has seven Children in1881 all born in Liverpool. Two of them are Mary Phillips Vaughan and William Phillips Vaughan.
Was Phillips, Peter and Abel's Mothers Maiden Name?

Just a thought.  Paul.

Offline rcuser

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 18 May 05 19:23 BST (UK) »
Hi Paul,

Thanks for that. I do have Peter and Abel's 1881 census details, thanks. I made the same assumptions you did but wanted concrete evidence of marriages etc.

Not sure about the Phillips point but it's a reasonable assumption. It will be interesting to see if it's true.

I have downloaded the necessary forms from the Liverpool registry site and am going to give it a go and see what happens.

Best wishes

rcuser

Offline Paul

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 18 May 05 19:37 BST (UK) »
Hi Paul,

Thanks for that. I do have Peter and Abel's 1881 census details, thanks. I made the same assumptions you did but wanted concrete evidence of marriages etc.

Not sure about the Phillips point but it's a reasonable assumption. It will be interesting to see if it's true.

I have downloaded the necessary forms from the Liverpool registry site and am going to give it a go and see what happens.

Best wishes

rcuser

Good luck rcuser, I'd take the chance with Peter's Marrriage and Edith's Birth.
I would also be interested in the Phillips point.

Paul