Author Topic: Chirk - Looking for a link - Aubrey  (Read 6207 times)

Offline wilcoxon

• -
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barry Sheene 1950-2003
    • View Profile
Re: Chirk - Looking for a link - Aubrey
« Reply #36 on: Monday 02 April 12 15:20 BST (UK) »
This may be Charles in 1861, but given the variations so far in transcriptions it`s like pinning the tail on the donkey.
It does seem to be Aubury on the original image but is transcribed as Alsbury as there is a smudge on his name.

RG9; Piece: 4207; Folio: 109; Page: 10
Llether ?  Llysdinam. Breconshire.
Isiah Morris 37 farmer b Bettws Radnorshire
Wife & two daughters.
Charles Aubury / Alsbury 15 farm servant b Llanbadarn Radnorshire.

Census information is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline WelcomeTraveller

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Monday 02 April 12 19:12 BST (UK) »
Wow, you two have definitely been busy.   One of the interesting bits for me is that that 1861 census, with the "sawyer" piece.  gnu's earlier post about Jane's birth had "(sawyer)" listed in it for the father and I had been wondering about it, since I hadn't seen other birth/baptism notices with the profession before.  Still, I suppose the son could've taken after the father.   (Hopefully it's okay to quote the sawyer bits) 

Thank you both for the time and information, this is great.  And gnu, I don't have a clue how I missed that genuki link to Wigan -  side note, I am distressed to learn that the area is now part of Greater Manchester not Lancashire ! - but thank you.. that has given me some other information too.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Monday 02 April 12 19:52 BST (UK) »
Hi WT

Just a bit  more bits. I've not looked through all my Chirk records so far as I've been travelling but here's a possible for Thomas Ward, sawyer, b. Oswestry (grandfather of Jane)

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/N5SY-7R2

Father listed as James and mother as Jane.

I'll have a more detailed look for  any children of the couple in Chirk later or tomorrow - got a football match to watch  ;D

gnu
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Monday 02 April 12 20:31 BST (UK) »
.and a possible marriage for james and Jane Evans in Oswestry:

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/N28B-9MB

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Children baptised Chirk to Thomas Ward and Margaret:

(Earlier post - Reply #18 - has them marrying Chirk in 1815)

3 March 1816 John Ward s/o Thos (sawyer)  and Margt of Chirk Green - the one who had the minor dispute about the £4 insurance
14 Nov 1819 Thomas Ward s/o Thos (sawyer)  and Margt of Chirk Green - probable father of Jane
21 July 1822 Mary Ward d/o Thomas (sawyer)  and Margt of C Green
13 March 1825 George Ward s/o Thomas (sawyer)  and Margt of C Green

Margaret's baptism is  a bit more difficult to identify - I've got some possibles for brother, John, and her but not too  sure.

gnu
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline WelcomeTraveller

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Monday 02 April 12 21:01 BST (UK) »
Great!  Our tree has expanded so much because of you, gnu.

And I am sad to say that I had missed the original insurance post... glad I went back to look for that post from wilcoxon to find out about the criminals in our past and the prize winner too!

My family thanks you too, my sister - especially - is highly entertained by it all.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Monday 02 April 12 21:08 BST (UK) »
Re the insurance dispute - it was thrown out and Charles was allowed to keep the £4.  The judge told them to sort it out  between themselves unless Margaret's will was ever proved (don't think it was)  :-X

I think another of the entries was for Charles as a witness and I'm not sure about the jewelry theft from the Railway company  - did railway companies own jewelry  ???

Most of these old newspaper reports make a good read, though  ;D

My great granddad won a prize for best dessert apples at the Chirk flower/veg show too - he was about 11 at the time. I expect his Mum put them in for him   ;D ;D ;D

gnu

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Monday 02 April 12 21:18 BST (UK) »
Some more rellies for you and sister - I've just found the John Ward in the 1871 - he of the disputed insurance

RG10/3809/104/11
27 Salisbury Street, Everton, Liverpool
Jno Ward, widr,  55, sawyer,  b. Chirk, Denbs
John, s, 20, upholderer
Charles E, s, 18, clerk
Eliza A, d, 15
Herbert D, 12
Oswald E, s, 9

children all b. Liverpool

gnu

Offline wilcoxon

• -
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barry Sheene 1950-2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Monday 02 April 12 22:16 BST (UK) »
I started  compiling this earlier today, but work stopped play.

There may be parts that you already know about, but here it is anyway.

WA  Saturday, September 18 1875
Squabble for funeral money.
John Ward of Liverpool V Charles Aubrey
The Plaintiff claimed   £4 the amount paid on the death of his mother by the Chirk Union Friendly Society. The defendants wife was the plaintiffs niece and she had received the £4, she maintaining that she had paid the club money for eleven years ( at 1s a year ) He on the otherside said he had paid the expenses attendant on his mothers funeral and besides had kept her for some time.
 Moreover, he produced his mothers will showing he was entitled to the money; but his honour said he could not admit the will as it had not been proved. It appeared that the mother had for many years been  in receipt of parish relief, and the defendant’s wife said that her uncle had never looked at his mother until she was left some money. His Honour suggested that the £4 should be divided, but the parties could not agree, and a verdict was given for the defendant, his Honour however stating that if the will were proved the money would have to be given to the plaintiff.

In 1861 a John Ward , sawyer born Chirk c 1816 is living in 111 Mann St, Toxteth. His wife Eliza born Wrexham c 1818 keeps a public house.
John was the brother of Jane`s father Thomas.

John Ward married Elizabeth Jones at St Mary’s Chirk in 1839

From GNU`S posts we have the baptism at Chirk 3 Dec 1848 of
Jane d/o Thomas (sawyer) and Mary Ward and the burial at  Chirk 22 March 1849 Thomas Ward. Aged 29 b c 1820.

From this I think I`m correct in presuming that the mother that the argument was about was Margaret Ward b c 1797.

Margaret is living in the next household to Charles and Jane Aubrey at Chirk in 1871. She is described as an annuitant.

Deaths maybe
June qtr 1875 West Derby. Margaret Ward aged 80

Sept qtr 1864 Oswestry . Thomas Ward , no age given.
Looking back at the dispute , a period of eleven years is mentioned

Census information is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline WelcomeTraveller

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Monday 02 April 12 23:52 BST (UK) »
My great granddad won a prize for best dessert apples at the Chirk flower/veg show too - he was about 11 at the time. I expect his Mum put them in for him   ;D ;D ;D
gnu

Hehe... I suppose I can assume that Charles likely grew the potatoes but, you never know, maybe your great granddad grew up to be a famous chef!  Then again, I'm guessing you'd know that - oh well, it was a thought.

Interesting how this family (2 sides of it) moved so far away from their roots.