Author Topic: Penery  (Read 2144 times)

Offline Penery

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Penery
« on: Thursday 29 March 12 21:33 BST (UK) »
Can ayone advise me if the Penery surname has a Coat of Arms or Family Crest.
Penery

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Penery
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 29 March 12 22:32 BST (UK) »
That's an easy one! ;D

NO surname has a coat of arms or family crest!!

A coat of arms is granted to a named individual, and may only be used by him and his direct descendants.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Stephen J F Plowman

• RootsChat Member
  • Still looking
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 30 March 12 10:15 BST (UK) »
KGarrad is quite correct in that in the three heraldic tradition of the British Isles (England & Wales, Scotland and Ireland) and indeed Western Europe, there is no generic Coat of Arms for a given surname.  They are granted, matriculated or confirmed to a specific individual and their usage by their descendants depends upon the particular heraldic traditions of the “granting” nation.

A quick look in Burke’s General Armory (BGA) does not note any Arms for Penery but there are two entries for Penrey.  However, BGA is not reliable and is in no way to be considered “official”.

I have penned a short guide to searching for a Coat of Arms:

Topic: Looking for “Your” Coat of Arms - A few pointers

In collaboration with other members of the Heraldry Society and the Heraldry Society of Scotland I have put  together a web page listing various heraldic books now available online:

Online Heraldic Resources

Plowman - Dorset
Gollop - Dorset
Taunton - Dorset
Carver - Norfolk
Oyns - all
Tweedy - all
Also British Heraldry (www.heraldry-online.org.uk)

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 30 March 12 10:21 BST (UK) »
Thank you Stephen!

I had already (via PM) pointed OP to your guides on the Heraldry forum.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 30 March 12 12:13 BST (UK) »
I can only find one crest for a Penrey.  This shows two hands conjoined, couped at the wrists holding a sword.  This crest probably forms part of at least one of the arms that Stephen found in Burkes. 

A crest usually sits on top of the helmet in a coat of arms but is sometimes used on its own on small items like cutlery belonging to the person who has been granted the coat of arms.
Living in Berkshire from Northampton & Milton Keynes
DETAILS OF MY NAMES ARE IN SURNAME INTERESTS, LINK AT FOOT OF PAGE
Wilson, Higgs, Buswell, PARCELL, Matthews, TAMKIN, Seckington, Pates, Coupland, Webb, Arthur, MAYNARD, Caves, Norman, Winch, Culverhouse, Drakeley.
Johnson, Routledge, SHIRT, SAICH, Mills, SAUNDERS, EDLIN, Perry, Vickers, Pakeman, Griffiths, Marston, Turner, Child, Sheen, Gray, Woolhouse, Stevens, Batchelor
Census Info is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk