Author Topic: One way traffic  (Read 4987 times)

Offline anniedwyer84

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Irish Nutter on the Hunt for Rellies :-)
    • View Profile
Re: One way traffic
« Reply #9 on: Friday 30 March 12 11:12 BST (UK) »
There are lots available on line for Ireland...also rootsireland.ie is great for searching as well. I've found loads through there. The census 1901 & 1911 of Ireland are available free of charge, as well as family search.

Of course Ireland is difficult at times with tracing ancestors...but other countries are difficult at times as well.

Annie
The surnames, which I am interested in are; Maternal side: Ryan, Kevin, Grant, Grady, Gleeson, Walsh, Dwyer, Paternal side: O' Dwyer, Woodlock, Rochford & Britton - all in Tipperary; and Kelly and Hoynes in Laois.

Ryan, Campbell, Luttrell, Grant, Grahame, Bainbridge and Brown in Queensland, Australia

Tighe in Victoria, Australia.

Grant in Philadelphia, Sullivan and Penny in New York; and Britton in Connecticut

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 30 March 12 11:15 BST (UK) »
Not sure you are understanding me?
I know about the 1901 and 1911 censuses - I have used them many times.

But . . . .

My great grandfather moved to Dublin & Kilkenny sometime between 1851 and 1861.
He married at St Anne's, Dublin in May 1861.
He had 3 children by his Irish wife - 2 sons born Kilkenny, and a daughter (only known through her grandfather's will).
He died in 1868 in Tallaght.

If he was living in England/Wales/Scotland I would be able to trace him and his family on sites such as FreeBMD, FindMyPast (for 1861, 1871 census), etc.
But, in Ireland there is very little to use to trace the family?

Maybe I am wrong here, but I just can't find anything else? ???
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 30 March 12 11:20 BST (UK) »
FreeBMD is civil records - which didn't fully start in Ireland until 1864, so before then you need to search church records etc..

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 30 March 12 11:29 BST (UK) »
If he was living in England/Wales/Scotland I would be able to trace him and his family on sites such as FreeBMD, FindMyPast (for 1861, 1871 census), etc.
But, in Ireland there is very little to use to trace the family?

Maybe I am wrong here, but I just can't find anything else?

The equivalent for FreeBMD for Irish records would be the BMD Index on Familysearch - covers indexes for Births marriages and death from 1864, and non-Catholic marriages from 1845. Many Parish records are available online - some free, others on pay-websites.

True there are no earlier census records to research, but depending on the family involved there can be other more indirect sources - directories, newspapers etc
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline little annie

• RootsChat Senior
  • Annie McLaughlin (Mcloughlin) & James Harkin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 30 March 12 13:22 BST (UK) »
I think i have started something out of my OWN frustration sorry about  any offence caused.
 I must say i have had some great help from the people from Ireland even to the point of taking photos of the family grave and using there own fuel & time for others, apologies
                                                                                             Little Annie
McCallion ,Harkin,McLaughlin, Doherty,(Donegal Derry) McDaid (Donegal /Derry) Foote,Wade, Cogan/Goggin swiney sweeney ,O'Connor/Connor cork/abbeyfeale Limerick.

Offline anniedwyer84

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Irish Nutter on the Hunt for Rellies :-)
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 30 March 12 14:07 BST (UK) »
@ KGarrad...you might be lucky as well on www.rootsireland.ie - I've been lucky on there, and have done searches on there for people on roots and have found stuff for people - and they were very grateful for all that.

Annie
The surnames, which I am interested in are; Maternal side: Ryan, Kevin, Grant, Grady, Gleeson, Walsh, Dwyer, Paternal side: O' Dwyer, Woodlock, Rochford & Britton - all in Tipperary; and Kelly and Hoynes in Laois.

Ryan, Campbell, Luttrell, Grant, Grahame, Bainbridge and Brown in Queensland, Australia

Tighe in Victoria, Australia.

Grant in Philadelphia, Sullivan and Penny in New York; and Britton in Connecticut

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 30 March 12 14:39 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the apology little annie but you are correct that searching for your Irish Ancestors is more difficult than searching in some other countries, however Ireland is not the worst country to research!

However I do sincerely disagree about the Ireland based Irish not researching; the Irish in Ireland are outnumbered by their cousins abroad by about 15 to 1 for a start! They also have easier access locally to family history from relatives and friends as well as library and hard copy information. Their starting points are made easier than those abroad especially second or third generation Irish. Also in some rural areas people are still described with a "family history" e.g. "oh John, he's one of Michael's family from the top of the road" etc. Some basic conversations can give more information than a week researching!

I hope your search of Irish ancestry gives you good results
Kearney & Bourke/ Johns & Fox/ Mannion & Finan/ Donohoe & Curley
Byrne [Carthy], Keeffe/ Germaine, Butler/ McDermott, Giblin/ Lally, Dolan
Toole, Doran; Dowling, Grogan/ Reilly, Burke; Warren, Kidd [Lawless]/ Smith, Scally; Mangan, Rodgers/ Fahy, Calday; Staunton, Miller
Further generations:
Brophy Coleman Eathorn(e) Fahy Fitzpatrick Geraghty Haverty Keane Keogh Nowlan Rowe Walder

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 30 March 12 15:16 BST (UK) »
Your great grandfather moved to Dublin & Kilkenny sometime between 1851 and 1861. He married at St Anne's, Dublin in May 1861......If non RC you can get marriage cert, see who his father was!!

Of course it's frustrating but that works both ways...I've a g.g. g. uncle who married in Toronto, after that NOTHING!! Yes there are free census etc but I can find a few candidates that might be him but census just say born 'Ireland'....Death Certs the same!!
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 30 March 12 15:26 BST (UK) »
Your great grandfather moved to Dublin & Kilkenny sometime between 1851 and 1861. He married at St Anne's, Dublin in May 1861......If non RC you can get marriage cert, see who his father was!!

I know (almost!) everything about my family before G-Grandfather moved to Ireland! Back to 1550 on that line! ;D
The marriage, and baptisms, were RC.
And he from a family which included CofE vicars!! :o
No wonder he was disinherited by his father. ;D

My line descend from the children of his first marriage - in Essex and Suffolk.
It's his children by this 2nd marriage I simply can't find - did they die of TB, also?

I appreciate that more and more info is coming online (and I married into an Irisg family).
My point was that the perception of most people, from outside Ireland, is that there is a paucity of online records.
And therefore might feel that the Irish aren't interested in FH? (They're wrong, of course!)
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)