Author Topic: William Edward Wyatt born circa 1857 Stratton Gloucester England  (Read 3071 times)

Offline JT2011

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
William Edward Wyatt born circa 1857 Stratton Gloucester England
« on: Friday 30 March 12 10:13 BST (UK) »
Hi

I am writing this from Queensland Australia. I hope you can help me find out more information about my great great grandfather William Edward Wyatt via lookups....much appreciated and other resources available to UK rchatters.

I do not have an exact date of birth for William Edward Wyatt. I do not know the names of his parents or siblings.

I have been unable to find his name on a passenger list.

23 Nov 1878 he married in Sydney to Mary Ann Elizabeth Delaney.

William and Mary Ann move to Queensland and have all their children in the Brisbane area.

1916 He is on the mariage cert for 1 of  his daughter's with the occupation sailor but he has not been listed on an electoral roll entry since 1903. Various records including Australian war records have been checked without success to locate his movements.

His wife  Mary  Ann embarks on another relationship and uses the last name of Gould.

I have never been able to locate a death certificate for William  Edward Wyatt in Australia and I thought he may have returned to England after 1903.

I would be very grateful if anyone can discover more information. Thank you.

JT2011

Offline Isobelruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: William Edward Wyatt born circa 1857 Stratton Gloucester England
« Reply #1 on: Friday 30 March 12 10:54 BST (UK) »
The only birth reg I can see around 1857 is William Edward Wyatt  Jun qu 1857 Portsea Hampshire
Russells in Westmorland,Lancashire<br />Rileys Halifax,Rochdale<br />Graingers Hull Yorks<br />Coles Northampton<br />Transcribed the whole of Westmorland 41 census<br />and Rochdale 61 <br /><br />Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 30 March 12 11:36 BST (UK) »
I agree with Isobelruss - I also see a W Wyatt, O.S. (which I assume stands for Ordinary Seaman), aged 19 arrived in Sydney on the Cutty Sark 2/2/1875 from Portsmouth.   Could this possibly be him?

Would fit with his occupation on a daughters birth certificate.   There certainly doesn't seem to be a William Edward Wyatt in Gloucestershire that fits the bill.

Census in England would indicate his parents were a William H. Wyatt and Ellen J. Wyatt - in 1861 shown as William. C. but enumerator wrote E's like C's and think it should read William E.

Best I can come up with.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline forefathers

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 30 March 12 14:02 BST (UK) »
JT2011, what's your source for his place of birth being Stratton?
Cheltenham, Gloucestershire, Somerset, Wiltshire, Devon

Offline jenster

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 31 March 12 00:16 BST (UK) »
JT2011, what's your source for his place of birth being Stratton?

I'm able to answer (JT2011 and I are related) - On the birth certificate for one of the children for William Edward Wyatt his occupation is listed as "Carpenter"  and his place of birth is listed as "Stratton, Gloucester, England".

BUT, to confuse matters on a birth certificate for another one of his children his occupation is listed as "Carpenter" and his place of birth is listed as "Portsmouth, Hampshire, England".
Bulmer, Caller, Hanson, Wyatt

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 31 March 12 01:04 BST (UK) »
Sounds like he could indeed be the one I found who came from Portsmouth and arrived in 1875.

Annette
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Offline JT2011

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 31 March 12 02:17 BST (UK) »
Hi Annette & Isobelruss

Your research is great and has given us some info we did not know before. A big thank you! My rel and I  are both passionate about genealogy so we work on different research projects and share the info.

I want to ask for a few more look ups if anyone has the time. Did William Edward Wyatt have any siblings? Nothing is recorded in Australia.

After years of searching we have never found a death notice or death cert for William in Australia. Perhaps he returned to the UK to live and died there.

I appreciate your help so far.

JT 2011

Offline forefathers

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 31 March 12 11:47 BST (UK) »
I can find no sign of him in Gloucestershire. I would think the 1857 birth in the June quarter of 1857 in Portsea looks highly likely and it's worth a punt getting  the birth certificate.  That would then give you the parents names and hopefully allow you to locate the man the certificate relates to with confidence on the 1861 and perhaps 1871 censuses. That might show up something that confirms this to be the right person.

If he came back to England, then I can't find a death for him or any entry on the 1911 census.
Cheltenham, Gloucestershire, Somerset, Wiltshire, Devon

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 31 March 12 11:55 BST (UK) »
1861 Census - Portsea, Hampshire (ref.RG9 - 632 - 118 - 1)

Ellen J. Wyatt     25           Tailoress        b. Landport, Hampshire
William E. Wyatt  4                                      ditto

1871 Census - 87 Fratton St., Portsea (ref.RG10 - 1139 - 62 - 14)

William H. Wyatt   40    Seaman Pensioner (RN? - hard to read)  b. Portsea
Ellen Wyatt           33                                                                    ditto
William Wyatt        14    Shop Boy                                                  ditto
Ellen J. Wyatt         9                                                                     ditto
George R. Wyatt     4                                                                     ditto

By 1881 moved to 107 Fratton St (William a Naval Pensioner) and only child still at home is a new one - Ernest 5 b. Portsmouth plus there's an Isabella Jarvis  Wid   Mother (?)  Nurse Monthly   b. Southampton plus 2 boarders - ref. RG11 - 1153 - 63 - 22.

Births shows the children reg'd as follows:

William Edward    Jun.qtr. 1857    Portsea Island
Ellen Julia            Mar.qtr. 1862         ditto
George Richard    Mar.qtr. 1867         ditto
Ernest Albert       Dec.qtr. 1875          ditto

William Henry Wyatt married Ellen Julia Nicholson Jun.qtr.1856 Portsea Island.   He died in Mar.qtr.1898 Portsea Island - she died Dec.qtr.1907 Droxford, Hampshire.

Annette

PS - I agree with forefathers - can find no trace of William returning to England.
London -  Monk