Author Topic: Parish registers for St.Margaret Westminster  (Read 8445 times)

Offline Katharine75

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Parish registers for St.Margaret Westminster
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 31 May 12 13:55 BST (UK) »
thanks Tony.

Offline Tall Al

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 02 June 23 12:51 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I am looking  to confirm details for a marriage at St Margaret, Westminster in  Dec Qtr 1869 for Sarah Warry Gautrey - can you help? Her husband Robert divorced her in 1860 and I can't find her in later censuses in either her maiden name Batt or married name Gautrey.

Some trees have her marrying James George Lockyer but I think this is wrong as he appears to have married a Frances Bowden with Lockyer/Bowden children born shortly afterwards.

Free BMD suggests her husband could be a John Mamaton, but this is an unusual surname and I am finding no success in tracing them post 1869. Wondered if "Mamaton" has been transcribed correctly or if they emigrated?

Alan

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 02 June 23 14:02 BST (UK) »
Hi Alan

You've tagged your request onto the end of an old topic, things have moved on since 2012.

In that time FindMyPast did indeed digitise and transcribe the Westminster registers but when the contract ran out, the data set moved to Ancestry. There is no entry for the marriage.

The page range for December quarter 1869 is 620-709 with the lower numbers being Anglican churches and the upper end being register office or registrar attended marriages.

The Guild of One Name Studies does not have a record either of this entry number which suggests the marriage was at the Register Office

https://one-name.org/marriage-locator/

If that's the case, the you will only be able to get a copy from the GRO or register office (but the GRO reference numbers won't help them), Westminster City Archives don't have the register office marriage registers.

Dawn
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 02 June 23 19:57 BST (UK) »
Image is on ancestry , Trinity Church, St MaryLeBone  11 October 1843

Robert Gautrey full age, bachelor, Tailor, 31 Great Barlow Street, father John Gautrey, carpenter deceased

Sarah Warry Batt, full age, spinster, 11 Little Wyld Street, Drury Lane, father William Batt, Gun Smith

Witness Richard (Dean?) and Mary Ann (Line?) 

Offline Tall Al

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 03 June 23 05:49 BST (UK) »
Hi,

It looks like I can only get more information from the GRO. I will put a separate post on the London and Middlesex board relating to Sarah and her daughter Frances Emily Gautrey (Born Poplar in 1858) - both of whom seem to have gone missing after 1860

The first marriage (in 1843) is as stated but I was looking for her later marriage (after divorce) in 1869 to check the details.

Thanks for looking and the advice.

Alan

Offline amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 03 June 23 08:24 BST (UK) »
Children mentioned in the divorce by her husband and verified with GRO

Lydia born 26 June 1844   - GRO 844 Marylebone  mmn Vatt (s/b Batt)

Robert born 17 May 1848 - GRO 1848 Saint Luke  mmn Batt

Francis William born 6 April 1850 - GRO 1850 City of London  mmn Batt

Mary Ann born 3 January 1852  - GRO 1852 City of London --DIED 19 October 1854  GRO 1854 - listed as Mary Gautry  London

Alice born 7 October 1853-  GRO City of London mmn Batt  - Died November 1854 - GRO 1854 - City of London
-----------------------------

Frances Emily is not mentioned so I suspect he thinks she is not his child.

Frances Emily Gantrey (sp) 1858 Poplar  mmn Batt

Offline amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 03 June 23 08:34 BST (UK) »
Registry Office marriages are not on line, you will have to purchase a copy of the 1869 entry

to find out who she married.

Offline Tall Al

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 03 June 23 09:10 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Many thanks for looking at this again.

All the details shown are correct - as you know Sarah' s maiden name was Batt and Frances Emily was christened as "Gautrey mmn Batt".

Frances Emily was in Poor Law School in 1860 transcribed as Gantry as I have just found a potential death in Ipswich in 1950 age 92 (incorrectly transcribed as Francis E Gantry) in an almshouse. Her mother Sarah looks to have been a "wild child" with prison records at an early age and the birth of Frances Emily could easily have been the catalyst that led to the divorce for adultery during 1860.

My current suspicion is that her marriage in 1869 which mentioned a John "Mamaton" was to a John "Manton". A Sarah Manton spent time in the workhouse in Holborn and there is a corresponding death there for 1879 age 58 which seems a potential fit for her christening around 1820.

I have yet to decide whether there is any merit in buying the GRO marriage certificate for 1869 as I am not sure it would add much value to the matter.

Alan

Offline amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 03 June 23 18:33 BST (UK) »
Proof is the value.

That she married John Mamaton and not James John Lockyer as other have speculated.

The death certificate will not give much information unless a relative reported it, if she was in the

workhouse hospital then it will be the warden.

Workhouse records especially  those that determine which parish she belongs to would be more useful