Author Topic: South Australian Electoral Roll - Keeble (completed))  (Read 8234 times)

Offline Sandiebeach44

• RootsChat Member
  • William Hunt and Annie Hogan
    • View Profile
Re: South Australian Electoral Roll - Keeble (completed))
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday 29 December 15 09:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi John,
yes I am aware of the probability that George Keeble did not father any of the children to Rachel Vida.  It was my research on here and the lovely people on here who helped me find the information that lead to learning of Georges final resting place.  My father-in-law spoke to a family that George spent time with in Broken Hill and later South Australia, he learned more about George who he has always called his Grandfather.  Some parts of the Keeble family are very touchy on the possibility that Rachel bore her children to a few different men, as you say, the birth certificates do indicate who the possible fathers are.
Cheers
Sandie Keeble
Researching
Hunt, Haddon in Ufford Northamptonshire
Elliston, Barnes in Middlesex
Hogan, Butler in Ireland and Australia
Evans, Edwards, Keeble, Keays, Jamison
and Platten in Australia
Crosby, Dennell and Holdsworth in
Yorkshire

Offline garrvian

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: South Australian Electoral Roll - Keeble (completed))
« Reply #28 on: Monday 07 March 16 23:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi John, Sandie, cando,
Rachel was certainly an interesting lady! Detail from her death cert notes 12 children, however with the Ronald/Roaland's not listed - deaths as babies could mean they/he weren't/wasn't spoken of to be remembered when providing info for the cert. Her story would make an interesting book if we knew the full details, certainly of life for a midwife living on the banks of the Murray at the time. However as noted, it is a sore point with a number of descendants.
John McInerney is acknowledged as the father of the two McInerney named girls in his WWI record - he served under the name Teesdale. This was discovered from an obituary Rachel placed in the Mildura Cultivator in 1917. One of the girls was noted as crippled and would link with being noted as a pensioner in 1936.
Speculation here - was the 1915 ad looking for Geo Hy placed by Lena or was it perhaps by Rachel? Rachel may have been wanting to get a divorce as McInerney had a prime place in her affections. However she possibly wasn't in McInerney's according to his brother.
Also re Geo Hy - a few notices in Newcastle papers in 1943 note a Geo Hy Keeble, seaman, about the right age for our Geo Hy, charged, bailed, forfeited bail then convicted of offensive behaviour in Carrington. A few years earlier, a Geo Keeble was noted as the "wheelman" on a ship that ran aground in Qld. May be a different person, but if he can't be found in conventional electoral rolls, he may fit.
Going back to Josiah Wm Keeble, if interested, there is a report in the North Otago Times in Feb 1868, of a Josiah Wm Keeble, a steward on the "Water Nymph" which ran aground there, covering a case of theft from Josiah.
Best wishes,
Garry