Author Topic: Where to go from here? - anyone up for a challenge?  (Read 2913 times)

Offline DebbieDee

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Hepzibah Annie Burge 1887-1969
    • View Profile
Where to go from here? - anyone up for a challenge?
« on: Sunday 01 April 12 14:52 BST (UK) »
A bit of a long shot I'm afraid...

Kezia DARRAND had a son Cornelius baptised in Haxey, Lincolnshire 13 Dec 1794.  Kezia married William CHAMBERLAIN in Haxey 5 Jul 1796.  Their daughter Mary was baptised in Epworth, Lincolnshire in 1797.

Cornelius CHAMBERLAIN married Fanny DAY in Shipham, Somerset 17 Aug 1815.  One witness was named Mary CHAMBERLAIN.  He died in Shipham aged 42 (on death cert - NBI says 47) 8 Oct 1837. 

Cornelius and Fanny had at least 8 children including Kezia (baptised 1816 in Shipham) and Sarah (baptised in Worle, Somerset in Dec 1830)

Sarah CHAMBERLAIN (born Worle, Somerset c1831) is living with her 'Uncle' Cornelius CHAMBERLAIN in Epworth in 1851.  There is also a Sarah CHAMBERLAIN there (born out of county) in 1841.

Sarah Chamberlain DARRAND married John STANDRING in 1857. 

In 1911 Sarah STANDRING is still living in Epworth and gives her place of birth as Worle, Som.

Additional possible clues:

There is a William CHAMBERLAIN named as the father of William, base child of Ann LOCK in Shipham 1816.

William CHAMBERLAYNE is buried in Shipham in June 1835 aged 59.

Mary CHAMBERLAYNE is buried Shipham in Nov 1836 aged 77.

I would love to know what happened to Kezia Darrand CHAMBERLAIN and more about William too. 

If anyone has an idea of how to proceed from here i would be very grateful.

Debbie  :)

Offline Charles

• RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Re: Where to go from here? - anyone up for a challenge?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 01 April 12 17:12 BST (UK) »
Hi Debbie

A public tree at Ancestry has Kezia's burial on 29th Nov at Mells, Somerset at the ripe old age of 108.

Charles

Offline DebbieDee

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 01 April 12 18:17 BST (UK) »
Thank you Charles. 

I have found that burial in Mells in 1878 previously.  Kezia DARRAND was baptised in 1770 so would indeed be about 108 if she lived until then. 

Unfortunately, the NBI record states that the Keziah CHAMBERLAIN buried in Mells in 1878 was only 84.   :(

Debbie

Offline Charles

• RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 01 April 12 18:43 BST (UK) »
True, Debbie, but it might be worthwhile contacting the tree owner anyway. He has Cornelius dying of consumption at 3 o'clock (doesn't say whether AM or PM) so seems to have looked into the matter (if the bit about Cornelius is right, that is!).

Charles

Offline DebbieDee

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 01 April 12 19:50 BST (UK) »
Charles, would you mind PMing the tree owner's details please?  The only one I can find at the moment with the correct death details is mine, which is private at the moment. 

Offline hugatree

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 29 May 12 19:58 BST (UK) »
Hi Debbie

I assume you have Kezia's parents' burials? Just in case, here is the link..

http://www.red1st.com/axholme/showmedia.php?mediaID=3580&cemeteryID=1

Offline Caroline Brooks

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 31 March 16 21:51 BST (UK) »
Hello Debbie, I see that these posts are from quite a while ago, but I searched for Kezia Darrand as I am looking in to the Darrand family.

I currently live in Epworth, North Lincs and live near the church in Haxey where the gravestones are. My Grandmothers maiden name was Darrand and the Kezia Darrand on the headstone was one of our ancestors. I have just begun looking in to our family history so not quite sure what relation as yet..would be interested to hear what you found out if anything?
Caroline