Author Topic: Scotlands People  (Read 4302 times)

Offline flst

• RootsChat Moderator
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Scotlands People
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 03 April 12 19:37 BST (UK) »
The headstone could've been put up at any time. The inscriptions also could have been done at a later date. There are family trees on ancestry that show William's d.o.d. as 11th November 1907. There is also a marriage date of 18 May 1855 in Down,Ireland, for William & Lucinda. Have you looked at John's death certificate? It would be great if his brother,William, was the informant!
flst 
TAYLOR, COBBAN, SCOTT, PATERSON, BARCLAY,  DUNCAN, SKENE, SIM, WOOD, STEPHEN, ROSE,  CUMINE, MORISON, GERRARD, PYPER, ANDERSON,  FARQUHAR, BURNET, THOMSON, DAVIDSON, BIRNIE,  STRACHAN, DEY, GERRIE, ROBERTSON, FINNIE, WYLLIE,STEPHEN,WILLOX,MICHIE,MARR,BRUCE, CLUBB,SLESSOR,CLARK, SIMPSON,HEPBURN,SINCLAIR,BEEDIE,FOWLIE, CLYNE,FINDLATER, JOHNSTON,BROCKIE,PARK, WATT,MACKIE,WALKER,YEATS,THIRD, BURD,EWAN,ARTHUR,AUCKLAND, MURDOCH,LOW, IRVINE,CHALMERS,BOYES, LYON,SMITH,ADIE, WATSON - ALL N.E.SCOTLAND.

Offline soapy1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 03 April 12 19:49 BST (UK) »
flst that was a good idea. i do have the death cert, but his son John registered the death  :'(

That was where I got DOD initially and then saw it on the headstone.I have one of those trees on Ancestry,
Beresford/Beresfield/Gamble/Beck  in Co Down Ireland & Airdrie, Scotland // Burnett/Burnet in , Middlebie/Annan Areas,//  Wilson, Dornan, McAleese from Airdrie & Ireland

Offline flst

• RootsChat Moderator
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 03 April 12 20:00 BST (UK) »
Have you got Ann Cochrane's death certificate? It would be able to confirm if the date on the headstone was accurate.
flst
TAYLOR, COBBAN, SCOTT, PATERSON, BARCLAY,  DUNCAN, SKENE, SIM, WOOD, STEPHEN, ROSE,  CUMINE, MORISON, GERRARD, PYPER, ANDERSON,  FARQUHAR, BURNET, THOMSON, DAVIDSON, BIRNIE,  STRACHAN, DEY, GERRIE, ROBERTSON, FINNIE, WYLLIE,STEPHEN,WILLOX,MICHIE,MARR,BRUCE, CLUBB,SLESSOR,CLARK, SIMPSON,HEPBURN,SINCLAIR,BEEDIE,FOWLIE, CLYNE,FINDLATER, JOHNSTON,BROCKIE,PARK, WATT,MACKIE,WALKER,YEATS,THIRD, BURD,EWAN,ARTHUR,AUCKLAND, MURDOCH,LOW, IRVINE,CHALMERS,BOYES, LYON,SMITH,ADIE, WATSON - ALL N.E.SCOTLAND.

Offline soapy1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 03 April 12 20:10 BST (UK) »
no that's another elusive one....and i don't like getting beaten, so not giving up. Trying LDS too, for a pointer.
Another strange thing is that her married name was Patterson, but shown on both headstone and census as her maiden name of Cochrane. Even if her husband died in Ireland, surely she wouldn't revert to maiden name??
Beresford/Beresfield/Gamble/Beck  in Co Down Ireland & Airdrie, Scotland // Burnett/Burnet in , Middlebie/Annan Areas,//  Wilson, Dornan, McAleese from Airdrie & Ireland

Offline flst

• RootsChat Moderator
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 04 April 12 19:24 BST (UK) »
It's common for widows to put their maiden name on the censuses. Also in Scotland it's usual to see the woman's maiden name recorded on the headstones.
flst

Offline soapy1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 05 April 12 11:44 BST (UK) »
flst, thanks.

I wasn't even thinking....of course that's right !!
I hope the weather is good on Sunday. I hope to go round after church to take clearer photos of the headstone. Still trying to find details of Ann Cochrane's death along with that of William, who no-one can seem to find