Author Topic: James LATTER born c1852-COMPLETED  (Read 4632 times)

Offline Roy G

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: James LATTER born c1852
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 11 April 12 07:21 BST (UK) »
Hi.    I have been chatting to Robsal about the same Latter family under another Rootschat heading and am having difficulty finding Julia with grandparents in 1851 and the 1861 entry JeannieR refers to. 

What I think may be the correct James however does appear as an 18 year old on the 1871 Rotherfield census boarding with Michael & Charlott Taylor and their 5 year old daughter Ruth.  That might be a small useful further addition to your findings. 

A further thought is that James' declared birthplace on subsequent censuses seems to fluctuate between Crowborough and Uckfield.  It might well be that he was born and hopefully baptised in one of the less significant parishes between those two locations.

Seeing that the IGI has the baptisms of James' presumed siblings George & Julia, it is unusual that James does not seem to have been baptised as well.  Another albeit less probable scenario therefore is that James was actually the base born son of another member of the Latter family and the original registration of his birth and any baptism appears under the surname of the non Latter parent. Roy G

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 11 April 12 09:28 BST (UK) »
Think I may have found him albeit having said that still cannot find him on 1861 Census.

On 26/2/1854 at Rotherfield, Sussex a John Latter, son of Thomas, married a Margaret Carpenter.

A James Carpenter bp.3/7/1853 Rotherfield, Sussex son of Margaret Carpenter (his birth is registered in the Mar.qtr.1853)

A John Latter death is recorded in the Jun.qtr.1858 Uckfield Regn. District, Sussex which may possibly be him but cannot find Margaret Latter and son James in 1861.

This seems a good scenario to me.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 11 April 12 09:42 BST (UK) »
1851 Census at Rotherfield (ref.HO107 - 1640 - 90 - 9) shows John 28 still living with his parents and a servant is Margarete Carpenter bc.1829 Ashurst, Kent so looks likely that John Latter was the father of James subsequently marrying Margaret in 1854.

Annette
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Offline Roy G

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 11 April 12 10:52 BST (UK) »
I think its a great find from Annette7, and I have been trying to follow it up.

Margaret Carpenter born Ashurst 1830 appears as MARGATE on my index, and in the same location is a Thomas Carpenter born Rotherfield, 1851.  There are NO other Carpenters in Rotherfield so it suggests that Thomas could be another son of Margate and therefore James Carpenter's elder brother. 

The SFHG index has James Carpenter baptised on 3 July 1853 to Margaret, but more tellingly in 1850, Thomas son of Margaret Carpenter of Slab Castle was baptised in Rotherfield as Thomas LATTER Carpenter.  That suggests the couple only got married after they had achieved a couple of kids.  So, even though it negates some my own previous findings, I offer sincere congratulations to Annette7 for finally cracking the problem.          

The reason that Margaret does not appear on the 1861 census is that SFHG has her buried in Rotherfield as Margaretta Latter in 1856 (listed as Margretta on FreeBMD) and that was followed by John's death in 1858.  So by 1861, Thomas and James can only be under the care of a relative, or in an institution for orphans.  Perhaps finding John's origins and what surnames the two kids were under in 1861 is your next step.  Hopefully the two were together making them marginally easier to find. 

I do know that at zero years of age, Thomas Carpenter was listed as a lodger in the 1851 census, and he could have been with the same family that may have taken him back again with his younger brother.  But there is another possibility.  Page 58 of the History of Crowborough (http://theweald.org/B10.asp?bookid=Crowbo058) states that Slab Castle, where the unmarried servant girl Margaret gave birth to Thomas Latter Carpenter in 1850, was not a prestigious residence as it suggests, it was another name for the Crowborough-Uckfield extension of the Rotherfield parish Workhouse.  Your James may have entered there at 3 years old when his mother died or aged 5 when his father died.

Roy G

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 11 April 12 18:01 BST (UK) »
1861 Census - Uckfield Union Workhouse (ref.RG9 - 576 - 43 - 20)

T.L.           11            Inmate            Rotherfield, Sussex
J.L.             8            Inmate            Rotherfield, Sussex

(On Ancestry J.L. transcribed as I.L.)

So, as Roy G suggested, the 2 brothers were inmates of the Workhouse in 1861 having lost both their parents (Margaret 1856, John 1858) and their paternal grandparents Thomas (1853) and Mary (1858).

James' paternal grandparents were Thomas Latter bc.1779 Rotherfield and Mary Eastwood bc.1780 Mayfield, Sussex who married 11/8/1803 Rotherfield.

Annette
London -  Monk

Offline Roy G

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 11 April 12 19:39 BST (UK) »
"Team work"  RG

Offline robsal

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 14 April 12 19:30 BST (UK) »
Apologies for not replying sooner but a HUGE thank you to both Annette and Roy G for ALL there help with this, l'm sure l would still be searching if not for your invaluble help :)

It is most kind off you both to give up your own time and resources to assist me and l am sincerely grateful.

Best wishes

Robert
SALISBURY- LINGE- LEECH-SALTER-PARSONS-AUBIN-WESTLY-DAINES/DAYNES all Suffolk.
SEABER/SEBER- Cambridgeshire(Isleham & Soham)
NASH/NAISH BARTER- MACEY-GILES Fisherton Delemere, Stockton, Warminster, Wilts.

Offline yallenuk

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: James LATTER born c1852-COMPLETED
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 04 May 22 20:48 BST (UK) »
Dear Robert

My name is Yvonne Allen nee Latter.

I too am really confused.

My grandfather was James William John Latter.

James William John Latter 1860-1948

The above person is my grandfather he seems to have used his names in various ways. I.E as James or William or John

He married my Grandmother in 1919 where it stated he was a widower and my father John William James was born in 1921.
Marriage                     John William James
My fathers birth           William John James
Death                         James William

These are the facts that I have:-

Marriage cert has E Silsby as a witness I believe this is Elizabeth from his marriage to Rhoda.

1948 I have a document from my grandmothers papers proving that he was married to her at the time of death

Electoral Roll
1948 At the time of his death he was living at 58 High St, Caterham, Surrey, with Mary A and William Rose, I believe his daughter from his first marriage.

The same applies to the 1946, 1945, 1939 electoral rolls.

The next electoral roll I have him living with my grandmother at 69 Beechwood Road, Caterham, 1921, 1925, 1926, 1927.

All this is either one massive coincidence, or the facts are correct.

I am wondering if the information ties up with any information that you have.

Regards
Yvonne