Author Topic: Cook Family Berkshire I NEED HELP!  (Read 6829 times)

Offline tjcook9476

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Cook Family Berkshire I NEED HELP!
« on: Friday 06 April 12 00:31 BST (UK) »
There are so many record to search and i am waisting so much money trying to look at records that turn out to be dead ends. If anyone can help me i would be very grateful. I am trying to find a birth record for Amos Cook born 1841 (According to census records) i have various birth places Newbury, Beenham, and bradfield berkshire but i cannot find his birth record i know his father was William Cook b1796 thatcham berkshire but to find all his siblings i need a mothers name. PLEASE HELP!!!

I also Know he had 2 sisters Esther and Ellen both born beenham berkshire, he married charlotte May and moved to Ealing west london where they had loads of children 13 at last count. i also know that williams parents were Thomas & Esther and Thomas's Parents were George and Mary, all living in thatcham.

Thank You!!!!
cook, brentford & Thatcham   Silcox St Marylebone, Wallace West Drayton, staffordshire  Woods/ West Drayton

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Cook Family Berkshire I NEED HELP!
« Reply #1 on: Friday 06 April 12 08:56 BST (UK) »
Esther was 5 years old on the 1851 census (HO107, 1691, 217, 10), so their mother could have died at any time from Esther's birth until 1851.

There are 2 female Cook deaths in the Bradfield district during that time:

March qtr 1846
Bradfield district    vol 6, page 112
Cook, Eliza

and

March qtr 1850
Bradfield district    vol 6, page 105
Cook, Hannah
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline mofid42

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 06 April 12 09:00 BST (UK) »
You didn't give an age for the sisters but maybe a possible-

The IGI has the baptism of an Esther Cook in Beenham 28 Jul 1845 d/o William Cook and Hannah

A possible sibling- George Cook bapt 20 Mar 1825 Thatcham s/o William Cook and Hannah
Seeking baptism for Thomas Peter Nugent c1802-10 and Charles James Nugent c 1805-10 somewhere/anywhere in London
NUGENT Westminster Bermondsey Walthamstow
COLLIER & OWEN Bermondsey
HAMBLETON Bermondsey
MORETON Hampshire
GROVER Burghfield Berkshire
HALL Buckinghamshire Walthamstow Norfolk
Mary Ellen/Ellen Mary ARCHER c 1875 Derby????

Offline cath151

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 06 April 12 10:24 BST (UK) »
Hi,
The only Amos I could find in 1841 (supposing he was born before the census) in Beenham is an Amos Bunce living with a family transcribed as Burges, which includes a Hannah Burges aged 25.
Ho107/25  1/6  7
There is a marriage Bradfield JAS 1842   6  183
William Cook, same page Hannah Bunce.
Not sure quite what the Bunce/Burges connection is unless they are both meant to be the same surname.

Cathy
Sinnock/Sinnicks...Brighton,Greenwich.
Clements,Coles,Mc Donagh,Rock

Census InformationCrown Copyright from www.national archives.gov.uk

Offline hoolianama0508

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 06 April 12 14:47 BST (UK) »
The only Amos I could find in 1841 (supposing he was born before the census) in Beenham is an Amos Bunce living with a family transcribed as Burges, which includes a Hannah Burges aged 25.

The Burghess family are the neighbors on the 1851 census.
John b 1823 Beenham - Head
Ann b 1785  Hamberg, Sussex - Mother
George  b 1841 Midgham
William b 1843 Midgham

Perhpas Amos was sent to apprentice with them, or they are somehow connected.
Agard, Cook, Earwaker, Garbitt, Gascoine, Greaves, Griffith, Stephenson,

Offline Daisypetal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 06 April 12 16:48 BST (UK) »
Hi,

It looks like Amos was born a BUNCE,

Amos BUNCE    Dec Q 1840     Bradfield    6  139

Baptism
Amos BUNCE 
03 Oct 1840 
Beenham, Berkshire
Mother's Name: Hannah

I think Hannah COOK/BUNCE was originally a BURGESS,

Christening
Hannah BURGESS
22 Oct 1815 
Beenham, Berkshire, England 
Father: William 
Mother: Ann 

Marriage
Robert BUNCE 
Hannah BURGIS 
29 Sep 1832 
Beenham, Berkshire

Christening
Robert BUNCE   
01 Sep 1836 
Beenham, Berkshire
Father: Robert   
Mother: Hannah 

This would be the 4 year old Robert in the 1841 census. I think this Robert jnr is a servant living in Bucklebury in 1851  HO107/1691  f.180  p.20

This could be the death of Robert BUNCE Snr but I wonder where he was for the christening of Amos or the 1841 census?

Death
Robert BUNCE    SepQ 1849    Bradfield    6  105

I think it would be worth getting the marriage cert. of William COOK to Hannah BUNCE to see if she was formally BURGESS, late BUNCE.

Regards,
Daisy
All Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline tjcook9476

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 06 April 12 17:57 BST (UK) »
Thank you all so much for helping, this just gets curiouser and curiouser, so if amos was born amos bunce that could mean that william was not his father in which case the whole cook family line has been walking around for all these years with the wrong surname?????? hmmm

i think i might need to make a trip to berkshire... any other information will be gratefully recieved.

The sisters i mentioned were born Ellen 1842 beenham mother hannah and esther 1846 beenham but her mothers name appears as harriet.

it just gets more and more confusing from there lol it would appear that william may have married again if hannah passed away.
cook, brentford & Thatcham   Silcox St Marylebone, Wallace West Drayton, staffordshire  Woods/ West Drayton

Offline Daisypetal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 06 April 12 18:36 BST (UK) »
Hi,

It wasn't unusual for children to take their step-father's name, but as Robert BUNCE Jnr seems to have kept the BUNCE name and Amos took William COOK's name I wonder if Amos was really William's child. Robert BUNCE Snr does not have his name on the christening transcription I saw for Amos and I can't find him in 1841 so perhaps he had left Hannah or was away for some reason. Maybe someone else will be able to find him.

I found this christening transcription for Esther, the mother is shown as Hannah not Harriet,

Esther COOK 
28 Jul 1845 
Beenham, Berkshire
Father: William
Mother: Hannah 

I think this could be Hannah's death,

Hannah COOK    Mar Q 1850    Bradfield    6  105

Daisy
All Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline tjcook9476

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 06 April 12 19:01 BST (UK) »
You have been brilliant thank you!! it was my mistake it was ellens record that i found that said harriet as the mother, but as i have found this could be a typo as in the 1861 census on Genes Reunited i found william cook and they listed amos as enos and i have also seen records that show him as emos lol this is all very confusing but great fun i am actually enjoying it lol.