Author Topic: HELP- lost grave MASKALL  (Read 995 times)

Offline Alexpk

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
HELP- lost grave MASKALL
« on: Saturday 07 April 12 19:51 BST (UK) »
Hello friendly roots chatters,
                                              Can any one help me with this mystery.. any ideas of suggestons are very welcome because ive hit a wall.

I have a memorial card for our relative CORNELIUS MASKALL who passed away Jan 1st  1943 aged 30 years , at the bottom of the card it simply says ..

Laid to rest at St. Pancras Cemetery , East finchley. In family grave...

...... However, he appears not to be there? I have asked at the cemetery but they say he is not buried there..yet living family (although they would have been very young at the time ) say they recall a burial there ?  I have also checked deceased on line but still nothing??? There is a family grave at Finchley but the only two names listed as being buried there are his parents Charles and Rosetta... next to their grave is an unmarked grave, from the section map I make the un marked grave  number to be  section 10k 31 ,i feel this could be his grave but... apparently according to the person I spoke to at Finchley you cannot search graves by number ,only by name.. is this true? or have I just stumbled upon someone who was a little uninterested.

Thank you , any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

??? Alex
Maskall, Maskell, Hadleigh Suffolk, East Bergholt Suffolk, Wilkes, Howell

Offline Inicky

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: HELP- lost grave MASKALL
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 07 April 12 20:27 BST (UK) »
get in touch with the local council for the area, they should know where he is, and if he is buried they will give you plot number ect,

Offline Alexpk

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 07 April 12 20:55 BST (UK) »
Thanks very much I will do that .  :)

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 10 April 12 20:43 BST (UK) »
Hi

The London boroughs of Islington and Camden’s cemetery services (ICCS) jointly manage Camden and Islington cemeteries which includes

St Pancras and Islington Cemeteries (or Islington and St Pancras Cemeteries) and Islington Crematorium, High Road, East Finchley, N2 (opened 1854 crematorium opened 1937) which is actually situated in the London borough of Barnet.

http://www.camden.gov.uk/ccm/navigation/community-and-living/births--deaths-and-marriages/cemeteries/

If you have contacted the cemetery office at St Pancras cemetery then basically you have already contacted the council's cemetery service

http://www.camden.gov.uk/ccm/content/contacts/council-contacts/community-and-living/contact-leisure-department-cemeteries-management.en;jsessionid=2AA7386FBEC13C4BAB9A4F2851C26E45

The cemetery records have been electronically indexed and placed on deceasedonline so the cemetery office is likely to be checking via that index. They can also check through the purchase records for the plot his parents are buried in. For those records they should be able to give full details of when the plot was purchased and when anyone was buried there and at what depth and whether the plot was purchased for two or three burials. If however he is not buried in the same plot then he won't be found through a search of the purchased plot records.

However indexes are only as good as the person transcribing the records, so when searching on an electronic index like deceasedonline and not finding a person you expect to find, you should try the offered advanced option. That really is what it is there for. Such a search also looks for similar names, which helps if there has been a mistranscription as there has been in this case.

name
summary
Mackall, Cornelius
Buried On:
11 Jan 1943 
Recorded at:   
St Pancras Cemetery (Camden)

Regards

Valda
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Alexpk

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 17 April 12 21:36 BST (UK) »
Valda! ,
          Thank you! Thank you very much for all your help,I have been working extra lately so Its been a bit since I checked in to roots chat... sorry for my slow reply but I am most greatful, you have been so very helpful. I have a few days off now so have planned a trip to see if I can find the grave which has until your help illuded me ..  is very exciting.

All the very best and thanks again
Alex