Author Topic: Death of James Troughton Winnipeg July 12 1915  (Read 1493 times)

Offline Stiubhard

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Death of James Troughton Winnipeg July 12 1915
« on: Sunday 08 April 12 08:50 BST (UK) »
I have a bit of mystery.  My great grandmother's sister Mary Ann (Annie) Troughton and her family emigrated to Winnipeg in the early 20c.  Her husband was Robert and they had four sons and a daughter - Robert, William, Frank, James and Sarah (Sadie).  The family later moved to the USA, all except James.  There appears to have been a James Troughton died in Winnipeg aged 19 on the 12th of July 1915.  That would fit as Annie's son was born in Belfast in  around 1896
(listed as age 5 on the 1901 census before leaving for Canada).  It would appear that Robert Troughton senior enlisted in the CEF in 1917 and his attestation papers show his next of kin as Annie Troughton living at 186 Johnson Avenue Winnipeg.  HOWEVER a James Troughton born in Belfast in1898 also enlisted in 1917, giving as his next of kin his mother - Mrs Mary Ann Troughton, living at 108 Wellington Street Winnipeg.  I would like to solve the mystery of two James Troughtons.  If anyone has access to local papers, death notices or obituaries for 1915 and can tell me more about the James Troughton who died on the 12th of July 1915 I would be grateful. 

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Death of James Troughton Winnipeg July 12 1915
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 08 April 12 14:15 BST (UK) »
The Attestation papers for James in 1917 with mother Mary Ann states his address as 108 Wellington - no Winnipeg in the address.  If you look at the bottom of the page he signed up for WWI in Montreal, Quebec not Manitoba.  There was a John and Mary Ann with son James on the 1911 Canadian census in Ste. Ann Ward Montreal.

You can order a Manitoba death certificate for James Troughton from Manitoba Vital Statistics for $12.00 Canadian.

Debbie

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Offline Stiubhard

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 08 April 12 16:16 BST (UK) »
The Attestation papers for James in 1917 with mother Mary Ann states his address as 108 Wellington - no Winnipeg in the address.  If you look at the bottom of the page he signed up for WWI in Montreal, Quebec not Manitoba.  There was a John and Mary Ann with son James on the 1911 Canadian census in Ste. Ann Ward Montreal.

You can order a Manitoba death certificate for James Troughton from Manitoba Vital Statistics for $12.00 Canadian.

Debbie

Ah...brilliant Debbie...I had missed that completely.  I knew there was a Wellington Street in Winnipeg and hadn't thought to look at the stamp.  That makes things a lot clearer, thank you.

Stuart

Offline Jacquie in Canada

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 08 April 12 23:33 BST (UK) »
http://manitobia.ca/content/en/newspapers/BDS/1915/07/14/articles/61.xml/iarchives?query=troughton

The Winnipeg Free Press also had some articles about this incident. James Troughton is listed as living at 186 Johnson Avenue in two of them. The young man, George Dowd, was cleared of any wrongdoing in the inquest. The jury ruled that James had inadvertently left the elevator door open and that Dowd had given the proper signals before moving the elevator.

Jacquie
Canada: Patterson, Brown, Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Johnston(e), Gorsuch, Kitchin/Kitchen
United States: Patterson, Smith, Brown, Vance, Bower(s), Newberry, Best, Love, Gorsuch
England (Northumberland): Brown, Whitfield, Henderson
Scotland (Glasgow, Edinburgh, Fife, East Lothian): Johnston(e), Bell, Galloway, Campbell, Robertson, Williamson, Thomson, Crawford
Germans from Russia: Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Meach, Lorenz

Offline Stiubhard

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 09 April 12 08:42 BST (UK) »
http://manitobia.ca/content/en/newspapers/BDS/1915/07/14/articles/61.xml/iarchives?query=troughton

The Winnipeg Free Press also had some articles about this incident. James Troughton is listed as living at 186 Johnson Avenue in two of them. The young man, George Dowd, was cleared of any wrongdoing in the inquest. The jury ruled that James had inadvertently left the elevator door open and that Dowd had given the proper signals before moving the elevator.

Jacquie

Many thanks Jacquie. A tragic accident indeed.  A family story I knew nothing about, but I guess that's one of the reasons we do it :)