Author Topic: Empire Pitt and Catrine  (Read 1418 times)

Offline northern boy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Empire Pitt and Catrine
« on: Sunday 08 April 12 11:42 BST (UK) »
can anybody help. My Uncle Joseph Smith served in Merchant Navy WW2. One sunk Irish sea and one involved in Dunkirk. Only found 1 photo of Catrine non of Empire Pitt. Or the records of ships logs. If anyone can help that would be good.

Offline seaweed

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'll see you one day in Fiddlers Green.
    • View Profile
Re: Empire Pitt and Catrine
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 08 April 12 12:40 BST (UK) »
You need the ships official number to access WW2 crew agreements at National archives, Google CLIP crew lists to find O/Ns I doubt you will find photos of EMPIRE PITT
Dim ateb yn well nag ateb anghywir. Nid oes dim yn ddall fel rhai nad ydynt yn dymuno gweld

RIP Roger 10 August 2022

Offline macintosh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 08 April 12 15:31 BST (UK) »
I found this number for Empire Pitt,  official no.180135,  built Sunderland 1944, By Thompsons, Owners - Ministry of War code letters GJJD.

It may well be there are other vessels with the same name.

James

Offline GrahamSimons

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 08 April 12 22:40 BST (UK) »
If you search the National Archives catalogue for Empire Pitt you do indeed find photos - but probably not the ones you want!

ADM254/12 Examination of corroded boiler tubes from SS Empire Pitt.
Includes 2 photographs depicting: Corroded boiler tubes from SS Empire Pitt: smoke tube showing broad strip of corrosion and oxide scale on surface. Dated 1946.

Other RootsChatters will know whether the other reference is of any value to you as a researcher: BT385/61 Registry of Shipping and Seamen: War of 1939-1945; Index to Logbooks and Crew Agreements Empire Pitt - Empire Star Covering dates 1939 Jan 01 - 1950 Dec 31
Simons Barrett Jaffray Waugh Langdale Heugh Meade Garnsey Evans Vazie Mountcure Glascodine Parish Peard Smart Dobbie Sinclair....
in Stirlingshire, Roxburghshire; Bucks; Devon; Somerset; Northumberland; Carmarthenshire; Glamorgan

Offline barryd

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 08 April 12 23:06 BST (UK) »
Empire Pitt launched Sunderland 28 JAN 1944. Ran aground 11 NOV 1946 off Berville-sur-Mer, France and written off.

Offline GrahamSimons

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 08 April 12 23:14 BST (UK) »
"launched Sunderland" got me thinking - it would be worth asking Tyne and Wear Archives if they have a photo. I've found them to be very helpful.
Simons Barrett Jaffray Waugh Langdale Heugh Meade Garnsey Evans Vazie Mountcure Glascodine Parish Peard Smart Dobbie Sinclair....
in Stirlingshire, Roxburghshire; Bucks; Devon; Somerset; Northumberland; Carmarthenshire; Glamorgan

Offline northern boy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 09 April 12 08:08 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the help. Gives me a few things to look at.

Offline seaweed

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'll see you one day in Fiddlers Green.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 09 April 12 14:26 BST (UK) »

Other RootsChatters will know whether the other reference is of any value to you as a researcher: BT385/61 Registry of Shipping and Seamen: War of 1939-1945; Index to Logbooks and Crew Agreements Empire Pitt - Empire Star Covering dates 1939 Jan 01 - 1950 Dec 31
Logbooks and crew agreements EMPIRE PITT
http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalogue/searchresults.asp?SearchInit=0&txtsearchterm=180135&txtfirstdate=&txtlastdate=&txtrestriction=bt381&hdnsorttype=Reference&image1.x=21&image1.y=14

Northen Boy Do you have his seamans pouch and CRS10?
Dim ateb yn well nag ateb anghywir. Nid oes dim yn ddall fel rhai nad ydynt yn dymuno gweld

RIP Roger 10 August 2022